1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BREAKING] School Shooting in Conn. at Elementary School

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sadat X, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Even if they get there in 2 minutes a lot of kids would have died.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Here's what wiki has:

One of the teachers was substituting for another, who was on maternity leave. I wonder what the teacher on leave has to say.

And those kids who were killed because they didnt stay hidden....must be extra tough for a parent to find that out. They almost made it..

You mean the aides? I think i read one was in a classroom with one of the teachers killed...not sure about the other.

#1082 RV6, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Pretty detailed account of what happened. :( Oh, I am sure that the teacher on maternity leave is crushed. I also read that Emilie Parker's family (the one with the dad speaking to media) moved to CT only 8 months ago from Utah for his new job.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Holy crap, I just figured out today in reading these accounts, and confirming on facebook, that I am acquainted with one of the surviving teachers.

We just know each other digitally, since we have friends in common and do the same 20-person NCAA tournament pool every year. She is very, very cool and funny in that venue. And her basketball picks usually are not stellar.

Amazingly cool that she got those two student assistants out of the hallway and kept her class more or less calm. I'm just amazed by her right now. I have no idea how I would react with a freak carrying a Bushmaster around the hallways.

5. VanityHalfBlack

I think we need some form of new rule when it comes to custody of a child.. What makes mom get custody of the child in this lunatic's case??? Did they split kids or something/ one went to the other?? We know nothing about the father up to this point.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Parents divorce was amicable and the father was taking care of them financially. Left them the house and the kids split time between them, but their permanent residence was with their mom. Doesn't sound like their was a dispute for custody. Keep in mind that this "lunatic" was just an odd child before all this happened. Plenty of those around. There was really no reason for him not to be with his mom, especially when she stayed at home with him.

7. Lady_Di

What a small world. I am wondering how the teachers from that school are coping. I have a friend who has a cousin that knew one of the aides.

8. VanityHalfBlack

Of course nothing out of the ordinary, just mom and son living on dad's savings while mom takes son to shooting range on a Sunday afternoon hanging out just the two of them...

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

What i meant was, at the time of the divorce, there was no reason to keep him from staying with his mother. No reason for the dad to step in or the court system, since the mother didn't take up shooting until after the split. Obviously she was wrong to let her son use guns, but perhaps no one outside of the mother knew the extent of his gun knowldege/use and mental health, so no one stepped in.

Any reports of how he got his hands on the guns? I haven't seen anything specific on that. Did the mom keep them locked up overnight, or did they both have complete access to them?

#1089 RV6, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Possible motive?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/19/adam-lanza-motive_n_2329508.html

11. VanityHalfBlack

12. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Does anybody else wonder if the shooter's dad had anything to do with the shootings?

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

No. He's a VP at General Electric, I believe. Not saying he can't snap, but he doesn't exactly fit the profile.

14. Lady_Di

He was mostly an absentee father...it was reported that they did not have contact since 2010.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Which may have had it's own role in all this, but I don't want to jump to putting blood on his hands.

16. VanityHalfBlack

Or that damn brother of his.. He only had 1 brother, at least you could do is give a hand every now in then... This family is all sorts of fockinsh!t!!!

17. Lady_Di

Yeah, also reported that they did not have contact since 2010 which is sad.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I can't imagine not having your father and brother around would help....however, i'm not sure you can really put any blame on them. For all we know, the shooter wouldn't see them or talk to them.

They reported today the mom may have just returned from some kind of mini-vacation to a spa resort and that she had been feeling more comfortable leaving him Adam lately....but this contradicts the possible motive i just posted, so one of them, at least, may be bad info.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

sorry the thread is so long but has anyone explored that the mother put the guns in the shooter's hands on purpose. to go out and buy all these guns because of a divorce is crazy especially when you know your son is mentally ill.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

On purpose? For what reason, to kill people?