1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BREAKING] School Shooting in Conn. at Elementary School

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sadat X, Dec 14, 2012.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again, as i've said at the very beginning...in this case I don't think it made a difference, not that it never could or would. The example of the Gabby Gifford is/was a completely different event and has no bearing on what happened in Conn. Keep you argument twisting in D&D.

2. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/national_world&id=8923718

Soto's obituary

http://www.adzimafuneralhome.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=1875890&fh_id=10346

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

This doesn't make much sense to me... ten rounds for a high-powered hunting rifle? Why do these weapons need removable clips? Why do they need more than 10 rounds?

certainly doesn't seem needed for hunting. Don't even see the need for "personal protection"... if the idea is that someone breaks into the house and you feel it is important to protect by surprising the criminal with a weapon.

In both of these cases, a non-removable clip, and a ten round limit seems reasonable, and would seem to be a reasonable compromise, allowing pro-gun people to keep their guns under the second amendment, yet also reduce the risk of another 20 kids being killed in school.

4. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Here is the eulogy delivered by Veronique Pozner at the funeral on Monday for her 6-year-old son, Noah, as issued by The Associated Press:

5. tutu_boston

tutu_boston Member

I used to check out cnn.com every morning. Not the last few days. Just heartbreaking to see the pictures of those kids on the home page.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

This stuff is so difficult to read...completely heart wrenching stuff. :(

7. Awesome

Awesome Member

Since all of the lies in the media have roosted

Can someone explain exactly what happened at the school?

What did this guy do, go on a rampage picking his spots with no security or cops or anything around and anyone that stuck their heads out the door was shot?

Im not trying to be funny... this has to be the most confusing incident in the national media.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am listening to a piece on NPR about a proposal in Texas to arm teachers. One guy is saying that people attack schools because they can't fight back and that there aren't armed security. Of course he is forgetting that both Columnbine and Virginia Tech had armed security.

We don't know why Adam Lanza targeted Sandyhook elementary but we know that the shooters and Columnbine and Virginia Tech because they went to those schools.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

And again. Cho was known to be mentally ill. So was Loughner, Holmes and Lanza. You keep on harping that mental illness is an excuse made after the fact when that isn't the case. In most of these incidents the perpetrators are really mentally ill.

I really don't get why you and others seem so determined to dismiss mental illness. Frankly I find it disturbing.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

That's Louie Gohmert, idiot at large.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I've done that exercise before with water pistols and a rubber knife and it is true. An attacker can usually get to someone with a holstered gun within 20' before they can get a shot off.

12. David Stern

David Stern Member

Yeah i agree. Can't imagine how these families can cope. I wonder if its any easier for her since Noah was not an only child.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I doubt it very seriously.

If anything, it's worse because you have to be strong for your other kids.

14. Prince

Prince Member

sister of vicki soto upon learning the bad news.

[​IMG]

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Not very clear yet. I've been wondering what his path was inside the school, but i guess we'll find out later.

From what i've read, he shot his way through a window, i guess at the front, and shot up the front office(s), from there i'm not sure. It seems to me that he entered one classroom,, could only find the teacher, killed her, and moved on to the next classroom and that's where he killed most of the kids, plus another teacher. I guess he shot himself shortly after.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Why do we need to see this? :( I'm just wondering why they would catch her in this situation and save it for posterity. It doesn't seem right.

17. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

It's not, it's as sad as this whole thing. F'up world we live in.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's humanity. Raw, uncensored. It helps people empathize and identify with what is going on and how terrible this really is.

I think photographing (if they're aware of it) and interviewing (!!!!) traumatized children is exploitative, but adults can handle it.

We need to see the real impact of these things. Maybe then we'll get off our asses and do something about it.

Case in point:

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

This picture was one of the first out and taken too soon for her to be sure of anything. More than likely, this was taken as she was calling around to locate her sister, so she was just a random woman in panic to the photographer, not the murdered teacher's sister. I believe the pic is getting shared around on FB, which implies she's learning the news of her sister's death here, but probably just a dramatic angle taken by whoever started it.

#1059 RV6, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  20. Awesome

Awesome Member

There is no reason to circulate stuff like that on the internet or elsewhere.

At some point you still need to respect people... It's bad enough they have to deal with that news and situation but it doesn't take a picture like this to empathize with a person.

If you need to see someone in complete and utter pain before you realize that people hurt, it might be something wrong with you.