1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BREAKING] School Shooting in Conn. at Elementary School

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sadat X, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Holy crap. That's terrifying.

2. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Teachers should be armed. Maybe not all but a handful at each school. They should be trained and issued a firearm and wear it on their side all day just like an officer.

Maybe students would show more respect, too while noticing their teacher has a firearm on their belt. (Not that they would have to fear them using it on them but psychologically speaking)

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Most schools have a security officer. Especially above 5th grade or so.

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

yah, let's arm one of the most overworked, underpaid, and under-appreciated workers in the US. what could go wrong.

5. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

my highschool had a security officer... he was about 50-60 and very overweight. i wouldn't trust him with my life in a situation like this. i think it would be a good idea to have a select few teachers certified and allowed to keep a gun locked up in their desk.

6. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

I know. Keyword "A" meaning single officer. My high school had 4 armed officers but we had 4000 students. If there were 20 armed & trained teachers, wouldnt you agree that would be safer, say a gunman started firing in hallway, a teacher with a firearm could possibly take him out immediately. Or at least lock down his or her class room and prevent a madman from entering it?

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Psychos have to take their psychotic problems and affect everyone around them...this is ridiculous

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I wouldn't trust a teacher, either.

Let law enforcement do their jobs, and let teachers do theirs.

That seems like massive overkill for a very rare occurance.

9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

ABC News is reporting at least 12 dead :-(

10. VanityHalfBlack

You know how to stop school shootings??? Don't open schools!!!!! Everything should be taught online/ video feed, no??? Oh right, who is going to stay at home with the kids??? This is where irobot futuristic technology should come in play, yes???

11. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

This is crazy. I do not recall a friggin elementary school shooting but I knew one day it would come. Sickening

12. VanityHalfBlack

OMG!!!!

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

see Dunblane.

14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

well, you could wait for law enforcement and let dozens of people die before anyone arrives, or you can train a teacher who is subjected to background checks and psychoanalysis to be ready. I'd let this be a voluntary position, and give the teachers a bump in pay to be trained and ready for situations like this. admittedly, you'll have to be very careful with who you choose to give this responsibility to.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If I'm a teacher I'm not wasting my time learning how to shoot and if there was a gunman I'd just hide, I'm not dying for other peoples kids, its a job not some higher calling. You can't put that kind of responsibility on teachers, that's absurd.

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

This is sounding worse and worse by the minute.

17. David Stern

David Stern Member

18. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

This. I was not implying that schools grab a burlap sack full of Glocks and go room to room and set them on each teachers desk with an instruction booklet & post it note with "You know what to do" on it.

Train them, bump pay, & potentially save lives of our children. In these situations, the faster you can neutralize a gunman the better.

My school cops all sat in their golf carts outside reading the paper, making sure students didnt leave campus.

19. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The officer is on campus. There is no waiting, if any. The Clint Eastwood teacher scenario is silly. We don't need to create an army of hybrid officer-educators packing heat in every school because of tragedies like this. It would be like forcing golfers to use wooden clubs because somebody got struck by lightning.

20. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

33,000 people died in 2011 in car accidents. We should totally ban those.