1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BREAKING: Russell Westbrook has a torn meniscus in his right knee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RoxTurk, Apr 26, 2013.

1. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Adande: Yes, in addition to changing how the whole Thunder master plan works. The Thunder have always been about the future and the long term. This serves as a stark reminder that the long term brings more variables and introduces more risk. One play can undo years of planning. fIf the Thunder had Harden they'd still have two U.S. Olympians on the active roster. That could at least keep them in the championship conversation. Now the discussion will likely be had without them.

Isn't this how most teams operate? I mean, I think that OKC has just been the most fortunate team in recent years. I am not saying they lack the front office smarts or their decisions aren't great decisions. But, if I were to pick a team as the luckiest team in the league... I would pick OKC.

2. L7N

L7N Member

I think people are really underestimating Durant. I honestly think he can fill those missing points himself or at least fill the lionshare of it.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Russell Westbrook underwent knee surgery today and will miss the rest of the playoffs, Thunder announce.</p>&mdash; Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/328218230063779840">April 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Doctors repaired, as opposed to remove, Westbrook's meniscus, which requires a longer recovery time but also is a better long-term solution.</p>&mdash; Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/328218529474179073">April 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Tough news. I feel bad for the Thunder and fans. The Rockets have had this sort of thing happen to them several times (in the TMac-Yao era), so I think we all know how they must feel.

That said, go Rockets!

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Wow. That's quite a psychological blow. I really was expecting Westbrook, given his "tough guy" history, to gut it out after 2 or 3 weeks, much like World Peace. And the potential of that, which was there yesterday, might keep the Thunder going.

This is devastating for OKC... they know that deep down, this crushes ANY title hopes. I think that's much more difficult to cope with than it appeared yesterday, when the thought was he could try and come back by the WCF.

6. Reach

Reach Member

[​IMG]

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

World Peace and LA only care about the ST, especially since WPs contract is guaranteed. Westbrook and OKC care about the future as much as this season

8. RocketPowerNick

When has KD played w/o Westbrook for a long period of time? He's no LeBron. Especially on the defensive end.

9. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

now everyone who always said westbrook was taking too many shots and needed to fall back get to see if they're really better than if he just went balls to the walls the whole time.

10. RoxDC

RoxDC Member

MWP got his removed, which has a shorter recovery time but degrades the knee severely because he's an older player nearing the end of his career. Westbrook made the right choice repairing his knee even if it takes longer to heal for both his career and for OKC.

11. hltiki

hltiki Member

so many downed top tier pgs.... CP3!!!! BE CURRFUL!