1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: Obrien wanted to start Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, it was his choice. He decided to go into those seasons with hand picked garbage so it's not an excuse. If he wanted a QB drafted, he'd have had a QB drafted. If he wanted to make a serious run at a better FA QB, they'd have done that.

He wanted Fitz, he got Fitz.
    He wanted Hoyer, he got Hoyer
    He wanted Mallet, he got Mallett

He didn't want Keenum, they dumped Keenum.

BTW, when you look at that group, Keenum currently has a 94.4 QB rating in 3 starts with 3 TD's and 0 interceptions while throwing for an average of 252 yards per game.

Hoyer is still garbage with 4 interceptions and 2 TD's in 4 starts with a 67.9 QB rating and only throwing for 215 yards per game.

Mallett has barely played so his numbers are irrelevant.

Fitz is out of the league.

2. texian

texian Member

This is obviously a difficult concept for you to wrap your noodle around, but the GM runs the draft here and the GM decides which players make the 53 man roster.

And if O'Brien wanted Derek Carr Rick would've drafted him for us? Wrongo.

Again, the GM does that here not the head coach. Try to keep up.

And which better free agent QBs were there? Because teams

You like Keenum, we can go get Keenum again and have a backup as a starter. The idea is to get top 16 level play from the QB position to even have a chance to challenge for a ring, not shoot for below average and defensive TDs every game.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You say that, but there is significant evidence to the contrary. In most situations that's how it works, but here in Houston, the GM goes out and gets the players the coaches want. It's always been that way.

When it comes to Carr, that could have been a different situation due to the negative history of his family and this organization, but there's no evidence suggesting that BOB wanted him.

Anyway, keep making excuses for BOB if you like, it won't make his handling of the offense or the QB's he had Smith pick up any less awful.

4. showa13

showa13 Member

Fun Fact: Ryan Fitzpatrick is backing up Jameis in Tampa.

Also in Keenums case(this made me giggle while typing it), Minnesota is by far the most talented team in the NFC north and they’re keeping it simple for him so it’s working. Minny imo will be a very interesting aspect of the QB market going forward cause they need to find one who isn’t injury prone, but that’s another topic.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

... and now the argument is that he should have kept Keenum?

If ever there was the perfect storm thread... this be it.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The reason Keenum came up was due to his relative success compared to the BS that BOB wanted thrown out there week after week. Now sure, it would have taken a much better coach than BOB to get that success, but the point is still there. He chose garbage like Hoyer and that can't be blamed on Smith.

7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

We don’t make knee jerk decisions

8. showa13

showa13 Member

Hoyer, Keenum, Mallett, Fitz, Oz. What do they all have in common? None of them are good. Y’all are arguing about which garbage QB was more or less garbage than the other and who made what decision about which garbage QB to sign or play or whatever. They all suck. Does it really matter who sucked more or less? None of them should be your long term starting QB. Smith and OB made mistakes but so does all other 32 teams in the league.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, none of them were good, and yet BOB chose them anyway.

That said, Keenum is doing pretty well right now with a competent coach in Minnesota, if BOB had chosen to go with him and was able to get that kind of production out of him, the last few seasons would have been less painful.....but unfortunately that's not realistic given how terrible BOB is as an offensive coach.

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Keenum had one good (great) game against Tampa Bay. World class game actually.

His other two starts he posted QB ratings of 77 and 66, throwing zero touchdowns in either, leading his team to 7 and 9 points respectively and both were losses.

Not defending BOB but let's not pretend like Case is all of a sudden a capable starting QB. He is now what he was in Houston...a good backup who can step up on occasion and win a football game.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'd take the 0 interceptions over what we dealt with from Hoyer and Osweiler.

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Are you hitching the wagon to Keenum right now? Ouchie mama. What?

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not really, I'm just pointing out BOB's incompetence when it has come to the QB situation the last several years. Keenum would have been a better option than Hoyer, Mallett, or Osweiler, but those 3 are the guys he wanted to go with.

14. texian

texian Member

How would he know if he wanted him? Carr was off our board, he was the only QB O'Brien never worked out in that draft. That came from Derek. And "family" doesn't play on Sundays -- scouts don't sit in a room and decide not to draft Robby Runningback because his Aunt Myrtle drinks too much sherry.

Keep deflecting blame, it only took 11 years for your GM to draft a QB with a high pick and that's because the owner forced him to.

If you think this is a good/deep roster you're delusional. You think we've got good tackles and guards? Lol. But that's all on O'Brien because he's the secret GM, right? 78% fail rate in rounds 2-4 since 2011 is all Kubiak and O'Brien's fault, right?

15. showa13

showa13 Member

While this may be true, having gone 9-7 with those other guys I would give us maybe one more win with Case. Again Case is a above average back-up, the other guys are average to below average back-ups. The argument is about which pile of crap is less crappy.

And to you calling BoB a terrible offensive coach, if the Texans offense keeps moving the ball and scoring like they have the last couple weeks(I'm not expecting 57 points) idk if we can say that anymore. Yes the offense got progressively worse, but so did the signal callers. It's hard to build an offense around a total lack of talent at the QB position. Simplifying things means the defense catches on eventually. I'm not singing the praises of BoB, I still think he's living off one 2 min video of him yelling at Brady. But maybe Deshaun is his chance to prove he is not a terrible offensive coach.

And let me be completely clear. I'm not saying he currently is a good offensive coach, I tend to agree that he's been pretty putrid. All I'm saying is if the offense looks good like it has been, maybe the QB play was the biggest factor in the offenses dismay during the first years of the BoB era and not BoB himself

16. Victorious

Victorious Member

I believe it. I like that Billy went to Rick to see what he thought. Most of the time, you don't rush rookie QBs. Deshaun is not most QBs. This reminds me of the time when Billy wanted to cut Mallet for being late right before a game and Rick had to talk him down lol

It needs to be a run like a partnership. Billy working with Deshaun and Billy working with Smith

17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Somehow, it comes off as both of them looking foolish but neither getting blamed.

OB a punk B for liking him but getting talked out of it by the football mastermind Rick Smith.

Smith gets credit for flipping the QB situation but then talked his coach out of playing the dang kid.

At least it only affected 2 games, to which DW helped them win one. 1-1 to fix the situation right, 1-1 since, going against the goat in the goat's house and coming just that short from pulling it off and dropping 348 TDs against the rival that got everyone's hype right up until DW went bananas on em. 2-2 isn't bad, it really isn't but I don't think 3-1 or even meeting the Chiefs for a 4-0 SNF showdown would be out f the question if we didn't have hesitance over DW.

18. conquistador#11

have you guys ever listened to hammond? he is like on crack. he starts talking about the texans then before you know it, 20 analogies later, he is talking about macintosh computers. This story is a bunch of nothing nachos.

19. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

This report probably has some truth to it, but I find it kind of pathetic that O'Brien yet again felt the need to leak info as an "anonymous source" just to boost his ego and make himself look better.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

That 1st game had Harvey written all over it. No one could really get it going. The defense even looked terrible. So you really can't blame anyone for what happened in that game. They were all pretty much still traumatized.

macho GRANDE likes this.