1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: Obama to ask Congress for approval to Strike Syria

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Aug 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

I'm worried about the potential can of worms that will be unleashed from an attack on Syria. We need solid intel that the Syrian govt did use biochemical weapons on the rebels and not the rebels onto the population. Could be the Assad govt selective rebels using the weapon as if they were the real opposition. Who knows, I don't have any solid facts, but I hope the USA intelligence does, because if not this will be a pivotal move for years to come.

2. WNBA

WNBA Member

if rebels used the sarin gas bombs, USA will do nothing.
    if Assad used the bombs, USA will attack.

what is the possible logic behind this?

I can only think of one: Obama is a member of Al-Qaeda if there is nothing personal.

3. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

When a leader is worried about 'saving face', then they cease to be a leader. They are a narcissist that puts their own image above the interest of the nation. That is shameful. But it's exactly how this fraud of a President thinks. He is a complete narcissist, wrapped in prideful hubris. He is worshiped by the hoard that looks up to godless celebrity. Look where that's leading us -- a complete deterioration of our culture and our society. True leadership and character seem like such a distant memory. This truly is amateur hour in the Oval Office, and the world is laughing at Obama's incompetence and futility. I pity the members of the Armed Forces who have to carry out Obama's self-serving directives. The Pentagon is doing everything they can to leak Obama's plans in order to shame him into going a different direction. That ought to tell you something.

4. Steve_Francis_rules

I don't say this often, but good move by Obama.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Who cares if Assad mocks Obama? What is this? An elementary school competition??
    Assad should be the one worrying if Obama does not attack. Barack has a way of handling his terrorist problems.

6. joesr

joesr Member

As Commander in Chief he doesn't need Congress approval. He can move troops wherever he wants and call whatever he does training.

However, he doesn't want to act without Congress approval.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

One side seems to be forgetting the number of dead Americans from a certain useless war. I wonder if they'd take Sadam mocking Dubya over grieving families on both sides.

8. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Assuming that would actually be true, it would tell me that there are gentlemen in the Pentagon who should immediately be booted out. Just like Snowden, Manning, and other fools.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, what rubbish. The President is asking Congress to vote its approval for what amounts to an act of war. I would think everyone would be pleased. He's consulting Congress before doing something that is within his power do without that approval. That he asks is more in tune with the Constitution than we've seen in years.

It's the right thing to do. It's the right way to handle this whether one agrees with the decision or not. Had this been a response to a direct attack on American citizens, I wouldn't say that. It is not.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not surprised.

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

You could not call dropping bombs on Syria a training exercise.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Indeed. This is spot on.

Glad the military is pushing him around -- it's needed.

What really happened is Obama painted himself into a corner, and going to Congress is his attempt at a way out. It's truly pitiful leadership.

13. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Hey were you still interested in those bracelets, seeing as how you tried to derail your own thread over them. Btw...what was your final decision? Should we strike?

Any updates from your 11 year old source?

#73 Felixthecat, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  14. joesr

joesr Member

Accidents happen! WRONG BUTTON OMGOSH

15. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I thought that Obama was going to get us out of needless war. He got us out of Iraq, but now he's determined to get us in a whole new useless war.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's easy to say that but what are the real life consequences of Assad being able to gas his own people? Especially if he's on the verge of being toppled. What if he fires chemicals into Israel at that point? It's a situation that could rapidly escalate into a regional war. Also, it's hard for the US to claim a moral high ground when a dictator gasses children without repercussions. Pathetic that Russia and China have looked the other way on this stuff. It's a serious flaw of the UN that they can never get consensus on something as ghastly as this.

17. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Are you sure you want to consider Iraq and Syria an apples-to-apples comparison?

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Maybe Russia and China looking the other way means that there is more to this than what is being fed to us?

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If i didn't know the date on this, i would think it was made yestserday.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/724Ua0XknVs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

This is a tough decision with no clearly good answers. Take responsibility for the morals and discipline of Mankind as the leader of the course of history and risk the unknown implications or allow a new paradigm of State sponsored genocide to be tacitly sanctioned by the world's political powers. The statement we choose to make will be more for Iran and North Korea than for Syria in the long run.

Congress' heads will assplode.

The risks are that a fatalistic Assad, cornered and doomed, will launch whatever he's got at Israel in an effort to be a martyr for Islam. And that weakening Assad in Syria leaves no political power structure at all, insuring civil chaos for generations and leaving the weapons stores vulnerable to again threaten Israel. There is also some risk that Iranians will be killed that could escalate into a shooting war in the Persian Gulf in which Americans would die, the world's oil supply could get restricted, and a worldwide economic panic could ensue.

What appears as dithering to the anti-Obama whatever crowd is actually productive time. The pressure of 'will they or won't they' is incentive to get things done. The only actor with a chance of actually achieving a reasonable outcome here is Russia. They need to secure all WMD's and they need to lead Assa to a compromise deal with whatever secular rebels are out there, though that would still leave an Islamic insurgency (what else is new).
    We have to be the bad cop to allow Putin to step up and be the good cop.

I would prefer some 'out of the box' non-lethal response like a small EMP that just eliminates Syria's command and control without directly killing anyone or a non-lethal airburst over whatever palace Assad is in just to make him **** his pants and come to terms. (Maybe he could ship a 'rouge' general to The Hague to answer for his unsanctioned use of chemical weapons.. yeah, that's the ticket!)

The dead people aren't coming back and the Islamist aren't ever going to just quit, so there is no real hurry in this. Let the complicated politics, international and domestic, play out. Everyone is going to lose and no one is going to win anyway.

#80 Dubious, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013