1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: Obama to ask Congress for approval to Strike Syria

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Aug 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh not sure Obama really cares if Assad mocks him. No matter what happens it will split down party lines in America. I am not so sure the independents and moderates want to be involved in Syria anyway. Obama has effectively punted. I could be wrong (certainly no expert), but I would surprised if congress doesn't approve... and if they do Obama will harp on Congress putting politics before national interests.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

In global politics, you cannot only care about your own leaders. The leaders of others influence what happens in your own world. Certainly Obama does. According to your logic, people in the Arab world should only care about their own leaders, right? How come many people there blame all their shortcomings on the USA and Israel, then?

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

So I guess Obama is going to work the Israeli angle to get conservative support. That Assad could use chem weapons on Israel if he starts to lose his civil war.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Wouldn't it be much more likely that the much more fanatic Al Quaeda militia among the rebels would do this?

Assad wants to live. They don't. They are linked to the Muslim Brotherhood whose motto is "Dying in the way of Allah is our highest hope. Allahu akbar!"

So if you are Israel, would you really want Assad out?

5. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Their deflected blame is why they're in such a poor position. Can't fix what you refuse to recognize as a problem.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Agreed. But at least when it comes to Obama, his decisions do certainly have impact on citizens of other countries. Same goes for Putin, really. The decisions of other leaders impact our lives, too.

7. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

8. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

I think so. he can save face

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

There is zero GOP Senate support for intervention in Syria outside McCain/Graham and maybe a couple others. In the House it's basically Peter King and that's it.

If Obama wants to take back Congress in 2014, asking his party to vote on this unpopular measure is a dubious proposition (lol at people here calling that brilliant).

Boehner has been absolutely pathetic on this. He doesn't need Obama's permission to call the House back into session to debate this issue and have a vote. It's the right thing to do, and politically smart because he can force the other party to either take an unpopular vote or defy their own president.

If Obama takes military action after it is voted down by Congress (which he still claimed the authority to do today), IMO you will start to see calls for impeachment.

What other recourse is there other than perhaps defunding?

James Rosen (the journalist Holder wiretapped) reported he was told by an anonymous State Department official that Obama will act even if Congress does not give him a green light, but I find this hard to believe.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Assad loses he's unlikely to live. So the only way the Al Qaeda elements in the rebels even get there hands on the weapons would be if Assad was already killed, and they somehow fought off all of the other factions to gain control.

There are a whole lot of ifs in that situation... far too many to base policy around.

Assad using the chem weapons on Israel is only one if.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Were you trying to make any point with that post? What were you even trying to say? :confused:

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They can call for impeachment but given how well that worked for the Republicans last time I doubt it will happen. With the Republicans with a good shot at taking the Senate I doubt party leadership wants the House appearing hyper partisan trying impeachment on a President for doing something that Presidents, both Democrats and Republicans, have done before.

13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Obama has stated he doesn't think he needs congressional approval for military action.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Sorry bro but you had your political pundit card suspended after going against basic math last election cycle.

1 person likes this.
  15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Good move, I hate wars but you get outta line like that, you get what's coming. If Russia wants some, **** them too.

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

And this will be like Clinton having Iraq and Sudan bombed. It will only set things up for the next president. And for whatever reason, people will hate what that president does.

The theme seems to be that if you don't have oil or aren't in arms reach of an important pipeline/transportation thoroughfare then the USA just won't give a damn.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Based on history, he doesn't.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I see that you omitted Assad's 11-yr-old son. TELLING. So it logically follows that you do care what the boy posts on Facebook.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Good move. Proper procedure, not sure what people are complaining about. Wars should be avoided, and I'm not sure the rebels are the side we should help even though both are evil.

20. TheresTheDagger

I don't know about that. The last President was impeached for lying about sex..something the country didn't care about.

This time, the scenario would be the President flaunting the will of the people AND of Congress by attacking a country. Even if it has some sort of positive effect, it would be a powerful narrative to speak of impeachment especially if the vote not to go to war would be bi-partisan (a very good chance of this).

The country is war weary. Obama would be gambling his popularity could last through something like this. That would be a big gamble ESPECIALLY if some unwanted consequence took place (like if Israel was attacked and this turned into a broader war in the middle east).