1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking News: Major Changes to NBA All Star game

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by justtxyank, Oct 3, 2017.

1. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I will watch the selection and maybe the first 5 minutes of the game but that's all.

2. MONON

MONON Member

With the ability to watch any NBA, MLB or NFL player I want during the regular season; I haven't watched a meaningless all star game in years. This won't change my scheduling at all. But it's good to see that they are trying.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

can't wait to watch the 1 minute highlight of the next all star game!

4. malakas

malakas Member

The reason the ASG isn't competitive isnt because the Western roster is that much better than the Eastern.
    It's because noone cares enough to play Defence.
    This won't change anything except add more drama.
    Like having Lebron passing over Kyrie etc That's it.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As I understand it , the leading captains can also pick players from the other Conference?

Lebron picks Draymond, KD, PG and Harden? For instance

Curry picks Klay, Giannis, Irving, Kawhi, Love/Anthony Davis?

6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Am I the only one happy about the change in regards to playing for charity?

At least something beneficial happened during these fairly meaningless changes.

malakas and YOLO like this.
  7. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

This wouldnt affect that. Captains dont select who becomes an all star. They select which all stars are on their team.

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Get ready for GSW vs CAVS as Steph and Lebron pick all their teammates especially the ones with All Star bonuses in their contracts. And yes I know they don't pick the All Stars, the only pick FROM the All Stars but trust me a version of what I'm saying will happen.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

i dont get how "especially the ones with all star bonuses" applies when the captains have absolutely nothing to do with that

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...how-lebron-james-steph-curry-pick-their-teams

• The player pool itself will be chosen in the same way as before. Fans, media and players will vote to select five starters from each conference, then coaches will select the seven reserves from the East and West. This means there will still likely be some deserving stars from the West who get left off, while less-accomplished players from the East make the roster.
    • The top vote-getter from each conference will serve as a captain for his team, and draft his 11 teammates from the selected player pool.
    • The captains will select the from voted-in starters as their starters for the first four picks each, then will move on to the reserve pool. This ensures that the players the fans (and media and players) choose as the starters will start the game.

To show what the first NBA All-Star playground-style player draft might look like. Kevin Pelton supplied the projected 12-man All-Star rosters for each conference, and will serve as captain "Stephen Curry" for this draft, with Chris Herring of FiveThirtyEight.com/ESPN.com playing the role of LeBron James and making the first overall pick.

Drafting the starters

1. TEAM LEBRON SELECTS: Russell Westbrook
    2. TEAM STEPH SELECTS: Kevin Durant
    3. TEAM LEBRON SELECTS: Draymond Green
    4. TEAM STEPH SELECTS: Kawhi Leonard
    5. TEAM LEBRON SELECTS: Giannis Antetokounmpo
    6. TEAM STEPH SELECTS: Kevin Love
    7. TEAM LEBRON SELECTS: John Wall
    8. TEAM STEPH SELECTS: Kyrie Irving

Drafting the reserves

9. TEAM LEBRON SELECTS: Chris Paul
    10. TEAM STEPH SELECTS: Klay Thompson
    11. TEAM LEBRON SELECTS: Anthony Davis
    12. TEAM STEPH SELECTS: Karl-Anthony Towns
    13. TEAM LEBRON SELECTS: Paul George
    14. TEAM STEPH SELECTS: Jimmy Butler
    15. TEAM LEBRON SELECTS: James Harden
    16. TEAM STEPH SELECTS: Kristaps Porzingis
    17. TEAM LEBRON SELECTS: Bradley Beal
    18. TEAM STEPH SELECTS: Kyle Lowry
    19. TEAM LEBRON SELECTS: DeMar DeRozan
    20. TEAM STEPH SELECTS: Gordon Hayward
    21. TEAM LEBRON SELECTS: Kemba Walker
    22. TEAM STEPH SELECTS: Myles Turner

Starters
    • Team LeBron(Herring): Russell Westbrook | John Wall | LeBron James | Giannis Antetokounmpo | Draymond Green
    • Team Stephen(Pelton): Stephen Curry | Kyrie Irving | Kawhi Leonard | Kevin Durant | Kevin Love

Reserves
    • Team LeBron(Herring): Chris Paul | Anthony Davis | Paul George | James Harden | Bradley Beal | DeMar DeRozan | Kemba Walker
    • Team Stephen(Pelton): Klay Thompson | Karl-Anthony Towns | Jimmy Butler | Kristaps Porzingis | Kyle Lowry | Gordon Hayward | Myles Turner

Easy and daywalker02 like this.
  11. ipaman

you don't think a player will tell both captains, "bro i've got a 1-2 million dollar bonus if I make a team"

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

what does the captain have to do with making the team. the selection process hasn't changed

13. ipaman

i should clarify, all star, all star starter, all nba, those types of bonuses. all star starter could figure.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Pretty close to my Team Lebron: Draymond, KD, George, Harden....... KD goes to Stephen

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

ok even with the starter and reserves approach, I still dont see how what you're trying to say applies. the selection process once again is still the exact same for both starter and reserve. the only thing the captains have control over is if they pick them for their team or not

16. ipaman

maybe you're right, we'll see. but honestly i already wasted too much time on this **** game especially when i don't even watch it.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

i believe you're thinking the captains choose from a pool of 11 all stars from the east and west respectively and they get to pick who will be starting with them.

they're not doing that. the starters will still be decided by the highest fan votes. those 8 players who have the highest vote totals become the "starter pool" and the only thing that happens is now the two captains will just pick who they want on their squad to join them in the starting lineup

malakas likes this.
  18. ipaman

whooo... how exciting!

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

must be

20. malakas

malakas Member

LOL Pelton is projecting Myles Turner to be an All Star? Did I read that right? o_O