1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking News: Henson to Cowboys

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by SamFisher, Mar 12, 2004.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

breaking news.

CBS Sportsline.com

Cowboys make deal for QB Henson
    The Dallas Cowboys have acquired former Yankee and now quarterback prospect Drew Henson from the Houston Texans, Jay Glazer has learned.

2. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Looks like it was for a 3rd round pick. I was hoping we could squeeze a 2nd out of someone but this will definatly do.

Texans | Henson Traded to Cowboys - from www.KFFL.com
    Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:07:00 -0800

SportsLine.com's Jay Glazer reports the Houston Texans have traded QB Drew Henson to the Dallas Cowboys for a third-round draft choice in this year's NFL Draft.

3. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Oh Hell Yes.

Could we have gotten more? Maybe. Maybe No. Gamble that paid off. So nice.

4. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

AWWW MAN! I was really thinking we could get a second rounder for him, but hell, I'm just happy Casserly and the Texans were smart enough to think of taking him and getting that in the first place.

I wish the trade wouldn't have been with the boys though because they're weakness has been the lack of a QB, and this will make them better.:(

5. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Hmmm .... ESPN is reporting that it is for a third-round draft pick in the 2005 draft. I guess we'll have to wait and see who was correct

6. Tyree

Tyree Member

it is a 3rd rounder next year....as long as henson signs a contract aint done yet..

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

ESPN is reporting he's signed for the next four years at 3.4 million per.

Its a done deal.

Can't argue much with this one... basically a 6th round pick for a 3rd round pick... great job Charlie!

I'm pretty sure Henson had a little more input in this... thus he probably wanted to goto Dallas and play under Parcells.

8. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

works out nicely for the cowgirls too. Mr. Carter is as good as gone...soon are later.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

I think our hand was forced on this one, so I guess we take what we can get.

10. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I agree. Tom Condon f***s Houston again. He truly is the tool of the devil.

11. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

The Houston Texans have traded the rights to quarterback Drew Henson to the Dallas Cowboys for a third-round draft choice in the 2005 NFL draft, ESPN.com has learned.

Henson and the Cowboys have agreed on an eight-year contract that will void to four years with minimum playing time. The former New York Yankees third baseman will make $238,000 during the 2004 season, and is guaranteed $3.5 million over the next four years.

The Texans drafted Henson, a former standout at the University of Michigan, in the sixth round of the 2003 draft.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1758167

Not 3.4M per, but 3.5M guaranteed over 4 years. I agree that you can't really scoff at a 6th round pick turned into a 3rd rounder. The gamble payed off.

Plus, I remember hearing that the Texans were asking for either or 2nd rounder, or a 3rd rounder with a stipulation that Drew's performance could bump it to a 1st rounder. We'll see if that 1st round performance clause is a reality.

12. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Kinda agree with this somewhat. But the Texans knew going into this offseason that they were going to have to give in to what Henson wanted as well for this to work.

That 3rd rounder may end up being higher than Dallas's spot this year, as I don't see them as a lock for the playoffs, but next years draft may not be as deep as this years.

Q will definitely be the starter next year. the boys may still bring in a vet backup qb sometime in case Q falters or gets injured. Maybe Vinny when he gets cut.

Well I'm happy about this news. :D

13. Remix

Remix Member

what happened to getting a 1st round pick or a 2nd in this or next years draft?

14. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I'm ok with this as a Cowboys fan, probably more than ok, but to be honest, I know very little about Henson except the little I've heard about him lately. I didn't have a problem with keeping QC at QB this year as long as the other positions were addressed (RB,DE, etc) but the QB job would have to be addressed eventually.

I didn't quite expect to get him for a 3rd rounder, especially me only reading the expections from here. I didn't quite want to give up a 1st rd pick for him :D.

While it is important to have the other positions addressed, having a QB who could rifle it into a small target would be nice. And it seems like the Texans did get something good out of the gamble, yet it wasn't too much to hurt the Cowboys too bad, so maybe we can both be happy.

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I just saw it on ABC News at 5. I hope a contract gets set so that we get that 3rd round pick....

If no contract, then Henson will be in the draft.

EDIT: as posted above, ESPN is reporting the contract has been signed. Sweet!

Man that is awesome, a 6th rounder turned into a 3rd rounder! Way to go C!!!!

#15 Uprising, Mar 12, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2004
  16. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I can't believe some of you are complaining that we "only" got a third round pick. We got a third for a sixth, that's a great trade.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

3rd Round pick in 2005, that doesn't seem anything like the 1st rounder everyone was so sure the texans would be getting. Oh well, turning a 6th into a 3rd is still a good move.

18. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I thought prior reports had the pick going as high as a second rounder or first rounder based on Henson's performance? This Dallas trade says that it's a 3rd rounder, regardless of performance? Think we could have at least negotiated that?

19. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

As a Cowboy fan this move makes little sense unless Parcells can talk Testaverde into playing next year. Henson won't be ready to play and Carter will know his days a re numbered.

So if the Cowboys can get Vinny to play then I think it's a good move, but if they plan on Keeping Quincy next year as the starter then I don't understand the move.

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

This doesn't make up for the Tony Hollings fiasco.