1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking News(ESPN): Jake Plummer Not Going To Be Texans Next Starting QB (TB Bucs)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ron413, Mar 2, 2007.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LORD, you have to be a CPA to be a sports fan these days!

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'd swoop in and try and get Tampa to take Carr (and our 5th rounder, if need be) for their 3rd.

Evan

3. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

So he's going to retire then come out of retirement to sign with the Texans, and we trade D-Carr to Tampa for the draft pick. Simple enough.

Ok, please tell me why some here think it would be smart to draft B-Quinn? Am I the only one who believe's he's just another David Carr in the making?

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

At least be on the phone with them. At this point, I don't care what we get, but I'd rather get something than flat out release him.

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Because people think he'll be a good qb in the nfl maybe?

No.

6. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Breaking News Update, Plummer to retire

The Bucs want Jake Plummer, but the feeling isn't mutual.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers made a deal to acquire the quarterback from Denver on Friday for a fourth-round draft pick in this year's draft.

But according to a league source, Plummer has decided to retire, nullifying the deal that would have sent him to Tampa Bay. Plummer apparently was not interested in joining a team which would not name him to an immediate starting spot, which the Buccaneers refused to do.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Plummer would have had to battle returning starter Chris Simms for the starting job in Tampa Bay. The deal also could have opened the door for an AFC West battle between the Broncos and Oakland Raiders for the rights to free agent signal caller Jeff Garcia, who has received initial interest from both teams.

Plummer lost his job in Denver last season to rookie Jay Cutler after playing inconsistently over the first half of the season. Plummer also fell out of favor with the Broncos during the playoffs in the 2005 season after a poor performance in the AFC championship game against Pittsburgh.

The 32-year-old Plummer finished last season with 11 touchdowns and 13 interceptions in 11 starts. Plummer played well in the previous three seasons, throwing 60 touchdowns and 34 interceptions in that span.

Plummer seemed to lose his confidence as last season progressed. After losing his starting job, Plummer was upset with how Denver coach Mike Shanahan dealt with the change. Plummer was particularly angry that he received a phone call from his position coach to inform him of the change rather than hearing directly from Shanahan.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-plummer030207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

7. Major

Major Member

They were going to get Jake Plummer for a 4th pick. Why on earth would they take a guy that doesn't have nearly the same track record for a 3rd round pick?

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2007/03/plummer_traded.html

Plummer talks retirement again. Can Sage be the man?
    From the beginning, the Texans were unwilling to give up a draft pick of value for Jake Plummer. They believe that first-day draft picks are way too valuable, especially considering their problems with cap space and dead money. Give them credit for never waivering from that plan. That's why they were willing to allow Plummer to go to Tampa Bay for a fourth-round pick. However, Plummer may kill the trade by retiring.

Where do the Texans turn now? Back to David Carr? I don't think so. I believe Sage Rosenfels might be the man unless Jeff Garcia is interested. There are several other interesting options in free agency, most notably Trent Green.

I know that players are comfortable with Rosenfels. I know less about how the coaching staff feels. Rosenfels has been hurt enough that coaches might be uncomfortable with his durability. Coaches also almost always prefer experience. Garcia has that. Rosenfels played well in his brief opportunity last season and would have been the starter late in the year if he hadn't broken his hand.

Even after breaking his hand, he continued to attend meetings and do whatever he could to help Carr. Once late in the season, he missed a team flight to Boston and ended up catching a commercial flight I was also on. I asked why getting to the game was so important.

''I want to get there for the quarterbacks meeting (on Saturday night),'' he said. Some in the organization noticed he spent more time around the facility than Carr. He's a gamble. He has started just two NFL games and thrown a grand total of nine touchdown passes. Then again, considering where the Texans are and how far they have to go, they're going to have to take some gambles.

With holes all over the place, they're going to have to take some chances. They'll almost certainly draft a quarterback. Whether it's Brady Quinn in the first round or Kevin Kolb in a later round, I don't know.

Is there a chance David Carr could return? Yes, I suppose so. Not as a starter, but with a chance to compete for the job. If his trade value is as low as it seems, he possibly could be kept. I don't see that happening. Too much water has passed under the brudge. It seems time to move in another direction. Stay tuned.

9. MadMax

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2007/03/plummer_trade_has_no_bearing_o.html

Plummer's situation has nothing to do with Carr
    The Texans were never going to trade a draft choice for quarterback Jake Plummer. General manager Rick Smith and coach Gary Kubiak want to acquire draft choices, not sacrifice them. That's why they're not expected to trade up in the first round.

Smith and Kubiak want to rebuild the roster, and considering their salary cap limitations, they're going to have to be judicious when making decisions on free agents. More on their cap problems later.

The Texans never said publicly they were interested in Plummer, but everyone knew they were if Denver coach Mike Shanahan waived him. But Shanahan said from the start that he thought the Broncos could get a pick for Plummer.

There are reports that Plummer is being traded to Tampa Bay for a fourth-round pick, but apparently the deal is on hold because the quarterback is threatening to retire. Maybe Plummer is legitimately thinking about retiring. Maybe he wants the Bucs to give him a big signing bonus on a contract extension. Or maybe he wants to play for Kubiak, his offensive coordinator for three years in Denver. We'll have to see how it plays out.

Even though Shanahan has the cap room to carry Plummer another season, he won't do it because the quarterback's cap figure of more than $6 million is too much for a backup. Shanahan knows that if he's forced to waive Plummer, the quarterback would sign with the Texans to be reunited with Kubiak.

Plummer has nothing to do with David Carr. If Carr is traded, as expected, that means the leading candidate to replace him is Sage Rosenfels unless the Texans sign a veteran. Kubiak likes Rosenfels, who finished last season on injured reserve after breaking his thumb making a tackle on special teams.

In each of the last two seasons, Rosenfels had a performance that made everyone wonder why he's never been a regular starter. In 2005, he came off the bench for the Dolphins, who trailed Buffalo 23-3. Rosenfels was 22-of-37 for 272 yards and three touchdowns in what turned out to be a 24-23 victory. At Tennessee last season, he replaced Carr and was 18-of-25 for 186 yards and a touchdown, but Pacman Jones won it for the Titans with a punt return for a touchdown.

No matter who plays quarterback for the Texans next season, I expect them to draft one in the second or third round and be given time to develop under Kubiak, offensive coordinator Mike Sherman and quarterbacks coach Kyle Shanahan.

Now, what would happen if Brady Quinn fell into their laps at the eighth spot in the first round? I can't imagine they would pass him up, but remember, Minnesota needs a quarterback more than any team in the league. And the Vikings are desperate.

The Vikings have four options: 1) They can wait to see if Quinn drops in the first round to see if they have a shot at him at seven. 2) They can pursue Jeff Garcia, the most attractive free agent quarterback available. 3) They can trade for a veteran like Carr. 4) They can do nothing. The last option appears the most unlikely for the Vikings.

Garcia, who turns 37 this year, was was not offered a new deal by the Eagles even though he played well after Donovan McNabb was injured. Garcia was the beneficiary of an outstanding performance by an offensive line that remained healthy and a terrific performance by running back Brian Westbrook.

In previous stops at Detroit and Cleveland with bad teams, Garcia was bad, too. Most NFL people think he has to play for a talented offense, specifically behind a line that'll protect him, and, more importantly, open holes for a running game to keep the defense off balance so it can tee off on Garcia.

Garcia also is a West Coast offense quarterback. He lacks arm strength. His game is all about timing, accuracy and not making bad decisions that lead to interceptions. Any team that needs a quarterback will have to consider Garcia, who wants to hit one last jackpot before he retires.

Now, back to the Texans' cap problems. As Indianapolis general manager Bill Polian pointed out recently, there's a huge difference in room under the cap and committed dollars. In other words, teams have to figure things like dead money for players no longer with the team, incentive bonuses earned from the previous season, escalator bonuses that kick in because of a player's performance, qualifying offers, tenders and money to sign draft choices. That's why the Texans don't have a lot of money available under the cap to make a splash in free agency or to pursue a lot of free agents.

Smith has to clean up the cap problem, and it can't be done in one year. More importantly, he has to improve the team while cleaning up the cap problem.

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

christian surfer hair > grizzly adams schtick.

11. MadMax

i don't know if taking brady quinn is smart or not. but i think if he's there, the texans will take him.

12. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

13. wreck

dammit....i thought I was first.... :(

14. wreck

I wonder what will end up happening.

This kind of news will just overshadow anything related to the rockets in the radiowaves. as if they need any more excuses to talk about football :rolleyes:

15. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

If he retired after finding out he was headed to the Bucs, I imagine he would have blown his brains out upon learning he was headed to the Texans.

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

LMAO damn thats cold :D

17. MadMax

790 is all Texans all the time. i know you guys were critical of 610 in the past, but that's just not the case anymore. they do Rockets reports...they talk Texans...and they talk Astros. seriously,greater than 80% of the talk time in my estimation is devoted to offseason Texans stuff on 790. you'd think they're the flagship station.

18. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Wow, thanks for that insightful analysis. I just think this team would be better off trading down in the 10-15 range, pick up an extra draft choice, and take an OT or defensive player. That's if AP is not available at 8. Quinn is not the answer, and I'd much rather take Kolb in the 2 or 3rd round than take another QB in the 1st round.

19. SuperYanthrax

SuperYanthrax Member

I'm a Broncos fan. Jake was servicable for a bit, got us to the playoffs for 3 years in a row, and was an improvement over Griese. But, when he had pressure put on him in the form of Cutler, he completely folded and became Jake the Mistake. If you want him as a stopgap solution, he might be OK. If you want him as a holdover before a young quarterback comes in... he'll probably just play like Jake the Mistake.

20. MadMax

except that expectations in denver and the expectations in houston are vastly different, at this point.