1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brandon Knight to play for Vipers tonight!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Nov 30, 2018.

1. basketballholic

Red Hova is right. Doesn't matter how many points he creates. That's how WEIGHTY losing the possession altogether is. You'e losing a shot opportunity and you're giving the opponent an extra shot opportunity. You do that more than about 4 times a game and it's a recipe for never being good enough to win a championship, just being an also-ran. Shows the offense is too one dimensional and it's easy for great playoff teams to beat you. Harden, in his desire to create all those "more points than any player in the league" waters down the team's offensive efficiency and funnels it down to simplistic offense that is too easy to stop at key moments and also disadvantages the defense by forcing them into transition far too often.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I guess I misunderstood that we could trade him before 12/15. I didn't think we could but I'm happy i'm wrong.

I hope he plays well because it's a win-win if he does. We're either better because of him or acquire better players because of him.

3. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Individual turnovers are important to a degree, but more important is team turnovers. Averaging 4+ tpg is not in itself a recipe for never being good enough to win a championship, it really depends on what else is going on team wise.

Look at someone like the Warriors, Curry, Durant and Green all average about 3+ tpg, and they are generally one of the worst teams in TOV%.
    15-16: 20th
    16-17: 22nd
    17-18: 28th
    18-19: 21st

You look at someone like LeBron since 14-15:

Don't get me wrong, Harden could shave off about 0.3-0.5 tpg because he has one super careless turnover every 2-3 games or so, but Rockets are 13th in TOV%, last season they were 12th, the season before 24th. The addition of Paul helps to balance this out because he doesn't turn it over much.

If the Rockets spread out the playmaking more to other guys that aren't Paul or Harden, it doesn't mean teams turnovers go down, Harden's turnovers might go down, but it would just be transferred to other players.

Harden's turnovers are excessive, but I don't think any broad statement can just be made. Also in the end, turnover differential is also the important factor. Sure, if you turn it over you lose a shot opportunity and the opponent gets an extra one, but guess what, they will have turnovers too, and you will get the same.

HP3, don grahamleone and joshuaao like this.
  4. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Why he get iinjuries again? When can he play

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No idea. This is a matter of great concern. He can't be traded unless he is fit and playing well.

6. farhen

farhen Member

lol they recalled him just to sit on the bench & cheer :cool:

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I thought he was hurting after the Vipers game. I don't know if he practiced a bit with the Rockets on the road.

8. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Y’all got to read your local media publications.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Anyone know if they have plans for more conditioning games with RGV? Or do they think that one game was enough? Maybe it was just a trade showcase.

10. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

11. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Im guessing he makes his debut next week against the Lakers.

12. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

The laker play at the fastest pace in the league. If I’m the coach trying to ease him back into the game, that doesn’t seem like the ideal game to debut somebody coming off a serious knee injury.

Just my 2 cents

13. rammo

rammo Member

His handles are legit. He can shoot. Fits our whole system like a glove in the role of back up PG.

He’s not the season saviour but I’m very optimistic what he brings once back to full speed.

14. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Here comes the puff piece where the fox use feigen to try and increase Knights value. Look for quotes like - I haven’t felt this good since my rookie year

15. basketballholic

Averaging over 4 turnovers a hand means the offense is too one dimensional. And it means your went win a championship. Gotta have at least two primary playmakers with a third guy that can make plays aa necessary. When Paul is out we're short playmaking, Hardens turnovers go up and out shooting efficiency suffers as well. Can't win a championship that way....period. And an individual players turnovers are the main indicator.

16. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

The Rockets can't win a championship if Paul is injured in general, regardless of how many turnovers Harden does or doesn't have.

So your point basically sums up to "Rockets can't win a championship if their second best player and other top playmaker is out" , well, duh..

That's not really speaking on individual turnovers,, it's speaking on not having a good enough team.

RudyTBag likes this.
  17. basketballholic

We won't win a championship with Harden averaging over 4 turnovers a game.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

“We won't win a championship with Harden averaging over 4 turnovers a game.”

Holic is simple minded. It’s all about team turnovers. If we are below 10 as a team, even If Harden has 6 of them, we are ALL GOOD baby, baby.

All you have to do is watch last year’s playoff vs. the Warriors to see how silly Holic is. Go play with the rabbits Holic, George gives you permission. Harden’s/CP3’s efficiency in isolation and their ability to make plays and take care of the ball, was in fact our greatest strength. No adjustment needed in this area, but perhaps prayers for health. No one is replacing CP3.

D-rock likes this.
  19. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Blanket statements are not helpful for discussion since there's nuance to things like this.

Earlier you said "You do that more than about 4 times a game and it's a recipe for never being good enough to win a championship"

It's way too simplistic, it depends on what else is happening. If you're playing a lot of minutes, you could average 4 tpg, but it's not a high turnover rate. Now if that happens, you can in a simple way say "oh the Rockets lost because ___ was averaging 4 tpg", but the turnover rate isn't high, the team turnovers aren't high, so maybe if whatever player is playing enough minutes to average 4 tpg it just means that the teams depth is poor and they have to overplay that player. So then the issue isn't the players turnovers, the issue is the teams lack of quality playoff depth. The simplistic thinking sees a correlation and hangs on to it without looking deeper.

Lebron carried the Cavs to 4 straight finals averaging 4.1, 3.6, 4.0 and 4.3 tpg in the playoffs. The year they won is when he averaged 3.6 tpg, but guess what he averaged in the finals? 4.4 tpg. The simplistic correlation thinking says "see, it is because he averaged fewer than 4 tpg that they won". Of course that ignores that in the actual finals series he averaged 4.4 tpg.

Curry averaged 3.9 tpg in 14-15 when the Warriors won the championship. He needed two more total turnovers in the playoffs to average 4 tpg, 0.1 more tpg, so would that have been the Warriors demise if he had two more turnovers in those 21 games?

Don't misunderstand me, Harden averages 5 tpg over his last 3 seasons + 20 games, that is too much. Last season in the playoffs though, he was down to 3.8 tpg. My point is that the turnovers themselves are not necessarily the issue, the players individual turnovers are only as important as they relate to team turnovers. Now, what a single player with high turnovers might signify is a team that doesn't have enough playmakers, or not enough quality depth and has to overplay someone, or possibly not enough variety in the offense. The turnovers are a symptom of other issues, but they themselves are not necessarily the issue.

bumbum09 and D-rock like this.
  20. basketballholic

Lebron has not won a championship while averaging over 4 turnovers a game.

It really is that simple.