1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brandon Jennings is EXPLODING!!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by t_mac1, Nov 14, 2009.

Tags:
  1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i think real NBA fans know when a certain player has that "it" quality in him. jennings has "it."

i know a lot of my boys JOCK jennings like crazy and even follow his career over in Europe. i definitely thought the kid had a ton of skills in high school, but i thought his head wasn't right. but it appears i'm wrong.

he has the talent. it appears he has the work ethic. i hope he fulfills his potential, which is enormous.

2. t_mac1

i'm sure it'll be on youtube soon enough. an epic performance like this always gets onto youtube.

but i suggest you get LP and you can watch this again anytime you like.

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Which makes it even more impressive. He put a target on his back with some of his comments and his cocky attitude. So far, he's more than backing it up. He's taking it to another level.

4. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

This game definitely locks him in for ROY... and All-Star game.

Unless Blake averages over 20 a game and scores 56.

5. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I only found 4 of the highest scoring rookie games.
    http://www.nba.com/history/rookie_records.html
    Rookie Records
    Most points, game
    58 - Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia vs. Detroit, at Bethlehem, Pa., January 25, 1960
    58 - Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia at New York, February 21, 1960
    57 - Rick Barry, San Francisco at New York, December 14, 1965
    56 - Earl Monroe, Baltimore at Los Angeles, February 13, 1968 (OT)

6. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Well said.

7. devilsdandruff

oh man. i know he was compared to iverson after like 3 games.
    but 55 pts in rookie season? never expected that.
    amazing.

8. abc2007

abc2007 Member

It's too early to tell. If Blake comes back early and help LAC make the playoffs, he still could win ROY.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jennings was just insane...

What an underrated rookie class.

Tyreke Evans is also a huge STUD...

10. Lonestar

Lonestar Member

Since this game he becomes a star, because of this game i started to know him, good for him :D :D

Just checked last week's rook report. And just remind me of a saying: the kids are not frighten of being wrong

2. Brandon Jennings, Milwaukee Bucks
    G MPG PPG RPG APG SPG BPG FG% 3P% FT%
    5 31.6 18.4 4.4 4.4 1.6 0.0 .430 .400 .769
    Last Week: 1 | Drafted: 10
    My favorite part about a recent interview on ESPN wasn't the fact that 20-year-old Brandon Jennings called 19-year-old Ricky Rubio "kid" on several occasions, but rather the fact that he doesn't know teammate Andrew Bogut's last name. This is not the first time I've heard him call the Aussie center "Bogan". What, like Keith Bogans' (he of the Spurs) long-lost cousin? Regardless, the Bucks went 2-0 this week despite Jennings' subpar stats (14 ppg, 3 apg, 11-for-32 shooting).

11. t_mac1

the clips won't. baron davis sucks so bad, and plays too much for that to happen.

even if they do, BJ will still win it if he sustains this. jennings has less talent to work with.

this might turn out to be one of the better rookie classes.

12. T-mac(#1)

T-mac(#1) Member

It's the Warriors..
    I wouldn't expect anything less from a star/decent player, playing against the GSW.

13. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Forget how AI took his scrappy team to the finals?

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

first post?

15. abc2007

abc2007 Member

too many ifs, so I say it is too early to tell. :p

But, anyway, Jennings is a exciting player to watch. I will definitely watch more of his games in future.

16. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Wow, so we haven't seen a rookie score like this in over 40 years.

He also set an NBA record passing Lebron James as the youngest player ever to score 50 points (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/14/brandon-jennings-55-point_n_358149.html).

All this makes his performance tonight even more impressive.

I wonder what all the haters and critics have to say now.

17. Foif

Foif Member

But it isn't like it was a blowout game either, so you can't just write it off as "it's against the GSW" (although that probably did help). The game was close until the end, so Jennings wasn't exactly just shooting to pad his stats.

18. clos4life

clos4life Member

He should have gone to college! Europe messed him up! NBA should increase requirement to 2 years before joining the big boys!-- Haters

55 points in 7th rookie game, no bending to the man's will-- Jennings's response

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I posted the exact same thing in another thread earlier this week. It isn't just about this one game. Jennings has the "it". The quality is observable. To illustrate, someone in this thread compared Jennings to AB. AB was going on 23 to start his rookie season. Jennings is barely over 20. AB had 4 years of college and got the most out of it he possibly could have. Jennings had one year in Europe and he didn't play that many minutes. Still, AB was a Nervous Nellie his rookie season who played scared and never found his comfort zone in real, live NBA games (unlike summer league). On the other hand, Jennings has ice-water in his veins, plus a confidence and demeanor that are beyond his age and experience. This is what separates "it" guys from other players. Almost nothing phases him. But of course he makes a lot of mistakes like all rookies do, especially very early in the season.

Even if his shooting stroke tapers off, Jennings still looks to be an impact player. If he's married to basketball and develops a great shooting touch during his career, he will be special. The next step for him is reacting to defenses when they try to adjust to take him out of the Bucks' offense. If he's able to successfully make that adjustment this season and it therefore becomes plain the guy has the talent to be a superstar, then we will see how he reacts to success and if he has a good head on his shoulders.

It's all so early. For now, I just want to see how he reacts to adversity when his shooting isn't unconscious and he has 3-4 bad games in a row. It's coming soon.

1 person likes this.
  20. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Jennings has overtaken J.R. Smith as my favorite non-Rocket in the league.