1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brandon Ingram out for the season with a blood clot

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by amaru, Mar 9, 2019.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what do you think the results would be if Clutch made a mandatory poll asking if they think Michael Jordan played in the 1995 playoffs?

BigShasta and Patience like this.
  2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Don’t care

3. malakas

malakas Member

He didn't have any surgery recently so this is very worrying.
    I am optimistic at all for his carreer.
    Teletovic was also forced to retire.

Rocket River, amaru and pippendagimp like this.
  4. malakas

malakas Member

Bosh didn't retire because of the pulmonary embolism he retired because the NBA and team doctors wouldn't clear him AFTER he had recuperated from them. Basketball is a contact sport and no matter how small the probabillity is, there is still a chance his life would be risked.
    I think that Ingram will face the same problems and may be forced to retire.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I hope it is nothing serious so I can look at it as karma for his role in the mini-brawl with the Rockets recently.

BHannes2BHonest and Nook like this.
  6. Roc Paint

I bet Gerald green doesn’t give two shats about the situation

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I didn’t expound on what caused him to retire, just the condition itself and why this is not what Bosh had. A lone dvt is not cause for lifelong anticoagulation, as is repeated PEs—which would contraindicate contact sports due to risk of bleeding. All in all, my point is the two aren’t comparable. If Ingram has a couple of these down the line and requires anti-coag then the two would be similar. Hope it helps and I’m being clearer this time!

BeBreezy, buffalobills!!! and amaru like this.
  8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Wow that is kind of messed up. Its a game.

9. Roc Paint

They don’t care statement was aimed at rusty cage Air Head Langhi

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I said I hope it is nothing serious...

Roc Paint likes this.
  11. malakas

malakas Member

sure but he's 21 years old and the clot was in his arm and happened without a surgery or injury (that we know of). After you have one, you're more likely to have another. Let alone that the scenario of it being due to a genetic factor is very real.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Not exactly. You develop clot because of principles such as virchow's triad (stasis, endothelial injury, hypercoagulability) . Your blood is designed to clot, sometimes it does when its not supposed to. Genes can play a role, but these people have recurring DVTs and multiple clots. Its definitely an eyebrow raiser in someone young but it would be jumping the gun to say he's going to be at risk for much more. Plenty of people on the hospital floor have isolated clots. Anyways, those are my two cents hope BI makes a full recovery and gets back to the court soon!

@bulkatron if I'm not mistaken does Pulm or something may be a better source.

bulkatron, BeBreezy and malakas like this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

damn, I feel for him...he was starting to play so well too

I hope this doesn’t end up being something serious

BeBreezy likes this.
  14. wesbound

wesbound Member

Get well...

But still didn't forget this punk ass shoved Harden because of his incompetency to stop him & promoted the spit game between rondo & paul.

15. sw847

sw847 Member

Prayers

BeBreezy likes this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah I thought NO was dumb for refusing the grandfather Lakers package but with Ball injured and now Ingram with blood that would have been a horrendous idea.

Surprisingly I think Clipps could make a good offer now for AD aside from Boston they got a lotto pick from trading tobias harris and some juicy assets.

pippendagimp likes this.
  17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

people that get these have tons of medical issues with a sedentary lifestyle or you're taking ped's. Lebron got his buddie Bosh on peds and now Ingram.

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

This is an interesting injury. Do they think he'll have chronic DVTs, or the potential to keep developing DVTs, as his career continues? I feel like he might be done as an NBA player, if chronic DVTs are a concern.

19. MD_in_Training

A young otherwise healthy athlete who gets an unprovoked (as far as we know) upper extremity clot is very concerning for secondary cause. Certainly difficult to prove, but I would say the likelihood is not low.

clutchdabear, amaru and malakas like this.
  20. MD_in_Training

DVTs and PEs are considered the same in terms of pathogenesis, and are not treated differently in the absence of RV strain. So while Bosh technically had a different clinical manifestation, it's the same underlying disease. If Ingram has a second DVT (just like Bosh had a second PE), then he's likely done with the NBA just like Bosh due to indication for indefinite AC.

clutchdabear, amaru and malakas like this.