1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Of those teams only LA and maybe Min can claim a front court as good as ours on both ends of the court.

2. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

PJ was just an example. He is a real 10/10 guy. And at times has scored in the mid 20's. Now, just like you talk about Cato "knowing his role" so did PJ. He digressed his game. He never used his skill to impose on the team. So, it's best to have a player that CAN if he wanted to give more, but does not because it's not in the teams interest.

Cato is giving his all (like he's done the last two years). And his all is not enough. We need a PF that can do both rebounding/defense and scoring if we call on him (not mostly). Again, PJ was just an example. There are others out there in the FA market that might be better. Or we can try the draft next year.

We need a "Zach Randolph/Donyell Marshall type player" that's willing to digress his game to our stars (Yao and Francis). Cato will not be enough. Once we stabilizes our core group (starting line-up) then we can truly examine the total package and how the complement each other.

Plus, we will still have a strong bench.

Your suggestions about rotations are good for now. But not in the long run.

3. DavidS

The "front court as good as ours" is deceiving. It's because Yao you can say that. Not Cato. Cato can't stop the PF in the league. We need a PF that can give both defense and scoring if need be. That will give some relief in scoring they do on us at those same postions.

4. haven

haven Member

I think you consistently overvalue non-Rockets.

PJ is an example. Sure. But he's not a good one, and I don't see many examples of players that are available.

PJ's offense is vastly worse than you seem to think. Has he scored 20 in his life? Yeah. But not due to any real skill. His defense is poorer than Cato's.

He's not strong enough, really, to play the really good 4's well. And he's not quick enough to play the Dirks of the world.

Sorry, he's smart and puts forth effort... but you're imbueing him with qualities that he never possessed. Very briefly, his reputation was about what you seem to put it at. Then he was given a more significant role, and got exposed.

5. DavidS

Even though he's scored 30 before?...The guy has skills. Nevertheless, he was just an idea.

By the way, who was a beter shot blocker? Griff or Cato? I think you are over-valuing Cato based on a few games.
    Yao makes him better. So, his "impact" is being embellished a bit. All I'm saying, we can improve that position.

6. haven

haven Member

And if Cato had always gotten the minutes as PJ, perhaps he would have as well. Don't just list points that a guy's gotten (very rarely) in his career. What does he do to get those points? Can he shoot? Can he post up? I don't see either one being true. He gets nice garbage buckets, but that's usually about it.

TBH, I think of their offensive games as very similar. PJ might be a slightly better shot, but actually has a worse post game.

But defensively, it isn't really close. PJ might be a bit smarter... but he just doesn't have the body to play defense against elite players. He got a reputation as a defensive stopper... and since then, he's been made a fool of too much.

7. DavidS

I agree with your assessment about PJ. But that's why we have Yao. He makes up for a player deficiencies. I just think that we'll need a more balanced player in the post (when needed, and it WILL HAPPEN).

But I disagree with your assessment about Cato really improving much (on offense) if given more PT. He's had plenty of time during the non-Yao years. He came into the league in 1997. And one of the reasons players get PT is because they actually show reasons for it. Not the other way around...

This is actually turning into a good discussion about bball! :D

By the way, would you trade Cato for Zach? :)

8. haven

haven Member

Randolph would be a tough call. I love the potential he has offensively, he seems explosive and to post up pretty well... and he's got great body strength... but I don't like the heighth advantage he gives up.

I haven't seen him enough to make a real assessment... ultimately, I'd say I'd *think* about a trade w/those two as the most important parts. I'd reject a Brown-Cato trade outright.

9. DavidS

Last year I was actually pushing for us to pick up R. Wallace since he stated that he didn't want to be the "star" anymore. Since then, his technical fouls have dropped. I'd say he'd be a great 3rd star. But he would not have the pressure like he used to (which caused the dq's in the first place; undue pressure).

Bigtime offense and defense in one package. And he'd be willing to take a less responsibility behind Yao and Francis.

Oh, well. I'm just sharing thoughts. Zach is young, and an idea. I'm also keeping an eye on guys like Brand (who knows what he'll do in Clipper land) and Vin Baker (Past drinking problems; He's playing very well this year with the Celtics).

10. DavidS

By the way, haven...

Do you think that the idea of Cato "sliding over from the 4 to the 5" when Yao goes to the bench an ideal situation for a "backup center?"

Cato can only play so many minutes. A backup player should be rested when he replaces a guy (Yao) on the floor.

11. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

That sounds like a signature for someone...

12. crash5179

I absolutely like that idea. It gives starters minutes on the floor and has been used at different times by different teams with tremendous success. Two examples: Ralph Sampson and Hakeem Olajuwan did it in the 80's and later Tim Duncan and David Robinson did it with the Spurs. Both produced exceptional results.

13. dback816

dback816 Member

Got one word for you, the perfect example of such player...one word...

Sheed

:D

Seriously, he is excatly what you just described. He's got an insane postup game (and temper), has 3pt range, but he doesn't want to take charge because he's a team man :) He plays a team game :D

14. DavidS

Well, yes...but apples and oranges. Cato is not Sampson nor Robinson.

That's why it's important to find a replacement for Griffin.

15. crash5179

No he is not but he is still very effective at the 4 spot and deserves the start there.