1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bradley: Kent doesn't know how to deal with Black Players

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by The Real Shady, Aug 24, 2005.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Bradley says Kent in his own world, lacks leadership

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Milton Bradley accused Los Angeles Dodgers teammate Jeff Kent of a lack of leadership and an inability to deal with black players.

Bradley's remarks before Tuesday's game against Colorado came only a couple of minutes after he said that the feud between the two that became public last weekend in Florida was a "dead issue."

"The problem is, he doesn't know how to deal with African-American people," Bradley said. "I think that's what's causing everything. It's a pattern of things that have been said -- things said off the cuff that I don't interpret as funny. It may be funny to him, but it's not funny to Milton Bradley. But I don't take offense to that because we all joke about race in here. Race is an issue with everything we do in here.

"Me being an African-American is the most important thing to me -- more important than baseball," said the 27-year-old center fielder, whose voice never went beyond his normal speaking level. "White people never want to see race -- with anything. But there's race involved in baseball. That's why there's less than 9 percent African-American representation in the game. I'm one of the few African-Americans that starts here."

Bradley did not like what Kent said to him after Bradley failed to score from first base on a double in Saturday's victory over the Marlins. Bradley initiated a 25-minute closed-door meeting with manager Jim Tracy after that game.

"I was told in spring training I was the team leader by Paul DePodesta. By Jim Tracy. By Frank McCourt," Bradley said of the Dodgers' general manager, manager and owner. "Growing up in LA, I know how to deal with all types of people, and I do it on an everyday basis. But some people don't deal with all different types of people every day, and therefore don't know how to handle situations when they arise."

Bradley accused the media of coming to his locker first Tuesday because he is black. Kent had not yet arrived at his locker.

"At no time am I going to let somebody question my hustle, my injury or question my motivation for playing," Bradley said. "I watch him on the field, and I follow in his footsteps and the things he does on the field. As far as off the field, he has no clue about leadership.

"If you're going to be the leader of the team, then the need to mingle with the team and associate with the team. I mean, you can't have your locker in the corner, put your headphones in and sit in the corner reading a motocross magazine. He's in his own world. Everybody else is in this world."

Kent, a former NL MVP who feuded with Barry Bonds in San Francisco, defended himself following Bradley's accusations.

"He can go ahead and say those types of things, and it comes from an incident that he still doesn't get. And that's a shame," Kent said. "If you think that I've got a problem with African-Americans, then go talk to Dusty Baker. Go talk to Dave Winfield, who took me under his wing. Go talk to Joe Carter -- all the guys that I idolized in this game and all the veteran players who taught me how to play this game.

"That's a shame, and I take offense to that. That's just absolutely pathetic if it comes from his mouth."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2141482

----------------------------------------------

Well, the Astros do need a bat. :)

After the Justice article that describe how much of a redass Kent can be it's sounds more like he's a prick with everyone, not just African-Americans.

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

Yeah ...Kent is an equal opportunity ******* .....

don't take it personal Milton :)

btw ..when did Bradley become good enough to speak in the 3rd person?

3. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Kent may be an ahole but I like his playing and he never had altercations with the fans during games. Don't play the race card every time you are an idiot.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Actually, it sounds more like black players don't know how to deal with Kent. The Astros had no big problems with Kent that I know of.

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

It's hard to take somebody seriously when they're named after a board game manufacturer...

7. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

They had no black payers that I knew of.

8. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Beat me to it.

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

:D:D:D

10. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

The astros didn't have any black players on the team when Kent was here, right?

11. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Exactly!!

12. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Bradley sounds like a racist himself.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Couldn't be happening to two nicer people. It's really a shame.

On one hand, you gotta love the player who cares more about the RBI he didn't get than the win the team just had.

On the other, you gotta love the mentally unstable player who always has one hand on the race card.

And people love to b**** about the Astros. I can't imagine some of our fans if we had issues like this in our clubhouse. Purpura would be even fatter.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Blacks make up around 12% of the US population. They make up 9% of MLB. Doesn't seem that far off to me, especially since something like 1/3 of MLB is foreign. That would mean that of the Americans in MLB, blacks are 13.5%, which means that they're overrepresented compared to the general US population. Go cry someplace else, Milton.

15. droxford

droxford Member

This makes no sense. First he says he doesn't find Kents comments funny. And then he immediately says that they all joke about race and he's not offended. Which is it?

Hold on a second, here. Isn't that what equality is all about - not letting race, religion, gender, etc. be a factor?!?!? If people see race, he'll accuse them of racism. And here is his doing the same for "white people who never want to see race". WTF?!?!

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

not that you know of. but there were problems.

17. T_in_Charlotte

T_in_Charlotte Contributing Member

I'm just surprised that these two haven't gone at it before this. When Kent signed with the Dodgers, I was just waiting for these two to duke it out in the dugout.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't find My Wife and Kids funny, but I'm not offended by it.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

"White people never want to see race -- with anything."

[​IMG]

20. droxford

droxford Member

Well, if Bradley isn't offended, then there's no 'problem', right? Except that he says, "The problem is, he doesn't know how to deal with African-American people..."

Still doesn't make sense.