1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brad Miller working the High Post Video

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crossover, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXivctPcT8E

Just thought it might be of interest to Rockets fans - might be seeing a lot of Yao doing this from now on. You might see exact parallels on how Yao is going to be used.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yao should study Brad Miller, Vlade Divac, and Chris Webber working that high post in Adelman's offense. I'm sure he's been doing that.

3. dedong22

dedong22 Member

i wanna see yao put the ball on the floor and do a little bit of dribbling, but well i guess he's so tall that he doesnt really need to dribble to create passing angles...
    and i'm waiting for yao's first 3 pointer this season of course :)

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

As long as YAO doesn't settle for those mid range jumpers all the time, then I'm good. I'd hate to see YAO go form a dominant post player to a jump shooting center like Brad Miller. Yes, YAO can shoot but his bread and butter is on the low block.

5. matty101

matty101 Member

Doubt Yao has that jump shot the B.Miller has.

And man i didnt realise how quickly he released the ball when he shoots :eek:

6. abcdef

abcdef Member

I really, really, really don't want Yao to play like this. I saw this video looking up some Brad Miller tape yesterday and shuddered. There is a reason why Brad Miller was never considered a premier center even though he put up good numbers, and this is it. He has no post game and hangs around the perimeter jacking up jumpers. We don't want Yao to end up like this. If he does, Adelman needs to be fired.

7. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

relax yao will be in the low post and in the high post during games. the object is having a more balanced offense instead of dumping it down low every play.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

So what are you worried about? Brad Miller has no post game while Yao has the best low post game in the league. If the Rockets offense works well when Yao goes high post it should be a regular part of the offense. Yao can't be turned into Brad Miller because he is not like Brad Miller. The idea of Yao putting the ball on the floor to make a move from the high post might be crazy, but having him find cutters or take 15 foot jumpers makes sense, on occasion.

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

The little we saw of Yao in the high post last night was encouraging. I'm firmly in the camp of "Keep Yao down low," but he CAN make plays up top. I'm interested to see what Adelman draws up for him. As long as Yao isn't taking ten 20-ft jumpers a game, I think it could be a nice addition to both his game and our offense.

10. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

"On occasion" is the key phrase. From what I saw last night, Yao spend more than half of his time on the high post. That's a bit too much for my taste, even though he played well from the high post.

11. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Yao is so much better than B Miller, as far as their low post game is concerned. So he shouldn't be playing like Miller. Period.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Playing the high post is something new for Yao and preseason is the time to flush it out and see if it works. When the games start counting and wins/losses matter, the high post stuff will decrease. In fact, look for it to decrease as the offense gets fine tuned for October 30th. Right now is just an evaluation period.

13. DaRock1

DaRock1 Member

I have the feeling that this Yao high post/low post debate will last until the day he retires.

14. Risto

Risto Member

When yao plays the high post he is able to get a better view of the court to make the easy pass inside for a layup or a dunk. Yao is an amazing shooter, one of the best I think.. They will have yao playing both low post/high post which will be good because last year yao always played the low post and did the same moves which were nice, but the defender always knew what he was going to do so he would either get blocked or they would steal the ball away from him. I think its better for yao to keep the ball up high instead of dribbling it.

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

What I find funny is all the people that screamed about how Yao would be ruined by not putting him in the high post and forcing him to play only on the block. And, now, people are screaming that he's going to be ruined by the high post.

That's funny to me.

16. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Wake me up when the video ends.

17. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

Welcome to society, where people get to complain for the sake of complaining.

18. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

It is my opinion that Yao is actually more suited for more high post play.

- Although coached by JVG to play low, he historically is a midrange jumper player and has tendencies towards it.
    - He isn't much of an offensive rebounder unless it is off someone else's shot
    - Will open cutting and driving lanes dramatically when the opposing team has to bring their big man out to defend him.
    - Allows for Yao to get back more quickly on defense. This will be a great plus vs. high-tempo transition teams.
    - Reduces the amount of energy Yao expends on offense, increasing stamina and playing time, also reducing injuries.
    - Addition of Scola who can really move along the baseline and clean up boards. Great ability to finish down low and great and offensive boards and putbacks. You're getting diminishing returns now if you plop Yao down low with Scola in the line-up.
    - Addition of so much more mobile and liquid talent. You will see much more movement on a whole and a low post strategy through Yao is a bit contrarian to a faster moving offense.

19. rocket3forlife2

I agree get off brads nutts!!!

20. stq

stq Member

It's always good to mix it up a little.

It will all depend on the match ups. Against a low bball IQ but strong C, rather than muscle it out under the post, it might be alot easier to use some high post P&R to get some open looks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.