1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boylen hired by Golden State

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, May 30, 2003.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

In in a interview with Mark Berman, Jim Boylen announced he had signed a contract with Eric Musselman.

2. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Thats the start of the 'Good News'.

3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Well, the guy worked with the guards. Maybe that means change - for the better.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

According to Posey it was Boylen that helped him with his jump shot. Posey credited Boylen with his improved 3pters later in the year.

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

That's great to hear!!! Good for him.

6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Good for GS. They have a similar situation as our backcourt.

7. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Very good news. CD was probably being very honest when he said he's been very busy, and helping the assistant coaches.

8. SLA

SLA Member

Well good for him.

Adios!

Cya!

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Jim Boylen is cool as hell .... he'll be missed. I wish him luck in Golden State.

10. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

May 30, 2003, 10:18PM

Rockets assistant Boylen takes job with Warriors
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

Jim Boylen became the first member of Rudy Tomjanovich's coaching staff to land another position when he completed a deal to become an assistant coach with the Warriors on Friday, one week after Tomjanovich stepped down as Rockets coach.

Boylen had been with the Rockets 11 seasons, four as a video coordinator and the past seven as an assistant coach.

"I've very thankful for my 11 years," Boylen said. "Les (Alexander, Rockets owner) took good care of me. Les and Carroll (Dawson) and Rudy were such a big part of my development as a coach. This has been a great place for me. I had a chance to do a lot and learn a lot.

"It's nice to be wanted. They pursued me. That's important. I was just sitting on my couch last Friday during the the Rudy T press conference, the phone rang and it was (Warriors coach) Eric Musselman."

Boylen, a former Michigan State assistant, had turned down an offer from his former roommate, Michigan State coach Tom Izzo, to become an associate head coach with the Spartans.

"It's nice to get a job that quick," Boylen said. "It's a great place for me. I'm really excited about it. But it's tough, too. You're at a place 11 years, your heart is in it. It's been an emotional roller coaster to say the least. But I'm a coach. I want to coach. And this will be a great place to do it. It's a great job."

11. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

i wish it was larry smith who left.. lol. but anyways, good luck to jim boylen on his new job!

12. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Couldn't find any Jim Boylen pictures for a tribute, so I improvised.

Good luck, Jim!

[​IMG]

13. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good luck, Jim! Glad the staff is starting to land on their feet. I hope the coaching change doesn't leave some of them in the lurch for very long.

I always thought we had a good staff... just not enough of them. I wonder how the size of the staff under Rudy compared to the rest of the League. Just curious, if anyone knows.

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Jim Boylen is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. He is funny and probably the most genuinely polite coach in the league. I'm sorry to see him go. Golden State is getting a good man.

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Pretty much identical. The vast majority of coaches have four or five assistants - one head guy, a secondary guy and a third that tracks stats. There will almost always be a fourth who handles things like video coordinating, etc. That is exactly how many Rudy had - Larry Smith, Jim Boylen, Melvin Hunt and Mike Wells.

There has been the misconception hiring 80 coaches like Cuban did in Dallas is normal. It isn't. It is HIGHLY unusual and most coaches and GM's around the league would tell you that, 9 times out of 10, it would be a total train wreck disaster.

17. SLA

SLA Member

Larry Brown had 6 assistants the past season.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks, Jeff.
    I wonder if Brown will insist on having a staff similar in size to the one he had with the 76ers... thanks for the #'s, SLA. I knew it was larger than Rudy's, but I couldn't remember by how much. Hope it's not a sticking point with Les.

I also hope Brown isn't asking for $8 million. That's been floated around in another thread. We'll see. I still think we're going to get him. I hope so.

19. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Here you go.

[​IMG]

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Based on his track record last year and based on a few quotes by Yao about him, I would not mind seeing Larry Smith leave as well.