1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boxing] Floyd Mayweather to fight Cotto

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by lue03, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

What are you talking about? Anytime you compare two guys, whether they have a planned fight or not, you compare similar opponents. It happens all the time and probaly the best way to analyze a potential matchup in any sport. Boxing will continue to move forward once these two divas are done with the game.

Anyways, as for this fight, I just don't see anything Cotto brings that is a threat to Floyd. He's just not fast enough. And at 154, he's slower than he was at 147 and where we fought most his career at, 140. He's definitely not going to outbox Floyd. I look for Floyd to be the aggressor and get a late stop.

2. Burko

Burko Member

Styles make fights sir, if you honestly believed that you can compare fighters based on their fights with the same opponents, take a look at Ali and Foremans record against the same fighters and tell me who wins that fight.

3. Dei

Dei Member

How am I supposed to read this?

4. Dei

Dei Member

When I said he's quick I was actually referring to his propensity for ducking. And smart = skilled, in the context I used it. But, yes, you're absolutely right. I don't think those problems are gonna be an issue against Mayweather, though.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Of course styles make fights. All im saying is that its nothing new to compare common opponents. Especially if two guys never fought before. It's hard not to when discussing two fighters.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

With your eyes.

(Mayweather's career)

7. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

The only one who is going to end Floyd's career is Floyd. Cotto is definitely not the one who will accomplish this. Nobody from 147-154 can beat Floyd.

8. bladeage

You don't think his bad conditioning, bad movement, sloppy jab after the 1st round, keeping his hands too high on his head and hunching over, squaring up when trying to shoulder roll against of the ropes, and inability to fight going backwards are going to be issues against Floyd?

9. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Bob Arum and Top Rank are corrupt, everybody knows this except the Pactards

once Cotto left Top Rank, he was able to make the fight with Mayweather. All those years Arum said that Mayweather was ducking Cotto( when that was not true)

Mayweather doesnt have a boss who controls him, so if it s up to him( he wants the fight). Bob Arum on the other hand controls Manny( and controls who he fights)

If Pacquaio leaves Bob Arum the fight happens. END OF STORY

10. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Also for the record im not biased againist any fighter. I dont the Floyd-only fans either( "flomos" as many would call them on youtube)

11. SunsRocketsfan

umm not end of Story.. Although I agree Arum like a lot of boxing promoters are a bit shady, Mayweather definitely has not made it easy to pull of a fight with Pacquiao also with his huge list of demands and his unwillingless to split 50/50.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

It doesn't matter who's the promoter. Even if Tex Rickard Himself came back from the dead, this fight won't happen unless there is a 50/50 split. According to Floyd, that ain't happening.

13. bladeage

I used to agree with Floyd about not accepting a 50/50. There was even an instance where Manny said it was ok, that he would accept a smaller split, then when things were looking up, he changed his mind and called 50/50 again. The split is fair, Manny has done enough in the sport of boxing to warrant the split. I say they agree to a 75/25 split for the winner of the fight. Regardless of the split though, Manny is gonna get ****ed in the ass by Arum for most of the money.

14. Prince

Prince Member

i don't think Arum is being unfair to Manny in terms of money these days. he sued him once.. I don't think Arum would do **** to his money cow.

15. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Are you serious, he is already is

Their is a reason why Oscar, and Mayweather left Bob Arum when they did

Pacquaio is basically a slave( and i hate using that word) for Bob Arum. Look at what Pacquaio made his last 3 fights, and then look at how much he is left with, once he gives 45% of his purse to Top Rank, and 6% to Golden Boy(because Pacquaio is also a Golden Boy fighter technically)

Mayweather wont give Pacquaio 50/50, because Mayweather knows Arum will get most of that money( from Pacquaio). But of course we blame Mayweather, because the media tells us too. This why Mayweather wanted to give 40 million directly to Pacquaio. He doesnt want Bob Arum touching that money

If you look at the history and the back and forth talking between the 2 sides over the years, if you are not a Mayweather-hater. You can see that Mayweather is saying the same stuff he said back in 2009. While Arum has lied, and changed his stance multiple times.

Has nothing to do with which fighter you like more. I firmly believe that Manny Pacquaio wants the fight badly( and that the fight not happening is not his fault). The problem is Bob Arum( Alex Ariza Manny's former trainer even said as much)

16. Prince

Prince Member

Manny is surrounded by big time lawyers in the PHilippines. I don't think that's still the case today.

17. Dei

Dei Member

Absolutely no idea about the conditioning but everyone's body is different. Floyd's defensive, so, no, I don't think those'll be issues, though, Floyd's been aggressive his last few fights.

18. Dei

Dei Member

That's no reason to not give the guy his half. What Pacquiao does with his half is his right.

19. SunsRocketsfan

From your blind support of mayweather and ur screenname and im going to act mayweather and say "you must be black"

Anyways check out this article. Mayweather clearly doesnt want to fight pacquiao

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/boxi...mayweather-comments-manny-pacquiao/54708784/1
    LAS VEGAS – Sorry, boxing fans. This is news you don't want to hear.

By Jed Jacobsohn, Getty Images
    The Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao back-and-forth took another turn yesterday, with Mayweather saying he is being "smart" for not fighting Pacquiao. Mayweather said doing so would be a "health risk."
    Enlarge
    By Jed Jacobsohn, Getty Images
    The Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao back-and-forth took another turn yesterday, with Mayweather saying he is being "smart" for not fighting Pacquiao. Mayweather said doing so would be a "health risk."
    Sponsored Links
    Enjoy Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Saturday night against Miguel Cotto, if you wish. But understand this: Despite the fervent hope of almost everyone in boxing, Mayweather will not be fighting Manny Pacquiao.
    Not later this year. Not ever.
    If I wasn't sure of it before, I'm sure of it now. Hard not to be after watching Mayweather as he went into a bizarre rant for the benefit of myself, a few other writers, and his ever present band of sycophants.
    This wasn't for HBO's "24/7" cameras, though it was better than anything on the most recent episodes. It had nothing to do with getting people to pony up $69.95 to watch the Cotto fight in their living rooms.
    This was pure Mayweather, unvarnished, unplugged, and totally uninhibited.
    He won't fight Pacquiao unless he's convinced he doesn't use steroids — something, by the way, that only Mayweather has accused the Filipino of doing. And there will be no convincing Mayweather that he's wrong.
    "You all think I'm scared, I'm a coward? Well guess what? I'm a rich, scared coward. I'm a rich coward," Mayweather said. "And if that's the case, why the hell would you want to watch me? I don't want to watch no coward. I don't want to watch nobody who's scared and you all know for a fact I'm not scared. You all know that."
    I'll take part of the blame for setting Mayweather off. Sitting next to him Tuesday in a VIP check-in room just off the lobby of the MGM Grand hotel, it seemed like a good time to get his thoughts on his main rival.
    My mistake.
    Instead of an answer, I got a soliloquy. Instead of a yes or no on Pacquiao, I got a disjointed diatribe on all things Mayweather.
    He railed about common sense and hat sizes, doing the right thing and protecting his health. He called Bob Arum a professional liar, and suggested I was in the rival promoter's pocket.
    He even questioned my patriotism for some odd reason that only his pals seemed to get.
    "So, you're an American, right? I'm an American," he told me. "I was in the Olympics. I represent the red, white and blue. You know what the American writers should say? 'Well, why's this guy from another country who comes over here and makes money taking it back to his country?
    "Once again, I'm feeding American citizens every day. All I ask is give a little blood, give a little urine. That's a crime?"
    Actually, the drug testing shouldn't even be an issue. Arum has already said Pacquiao is willing to take blood and urine tests in the weeks and months leading up to a fight with Mayweather.
    But Mayweather seems obsessed with the idea Pacquiao is juicing. He seems to truly believe that Pacquiao has some sort of super human powers other fighters don't.
    He's not going to change his mind. And, ultimately, that means no Pacquiao fight.
    It is true that Pacquiao has grown noticeably since he first began boxing professionally in 1995 at 106 pounds. He's much more muscular and his body has filled out in the 17 years since then.
    However, I reminded Mayweather that he boxed in the 1996 Olympics at 125 pounds, and will be fighting at 154 pounds against Cotto.
    "Guess what? It took me years to get to here. Years," he said. "Go back and look at the pictures. First, his head is small. Then, all of a sudden, his head just grew? Come on, man. Stop! Stop this man! Come on, man! This (stuff's) so easy. Ray Charles can see this (stuff). Come on. Come on, now! Come on, man. I told you, it's basic common sense. Look at the pictures and tell me this man's head didn't get bigger? This man probably went from a seven and one-fourth to an eight. In a hat, a fitted hat. And you're going to tell me this (stuff) is all natural? Come on, man. Stop this. I'm going up in weight, but I ain't just walking through no damn fighters."
    If that wasn't clear enough, Mayweather shifted into third person mode to press his point.
    "Writers are saying, 'Floyd is scared,'" he said. "No, Floyd cares about his family. Floyd is smart. At the end of the day, Floyd is smart. My health is important. My health is more important than money. They can take all the money and my health is more important. If they say, 'Floyd, you can live a healthy life like you is right now, or you got to walk with a limp, and walk all bent over, but you can have a lot of money for the rest of your life,' I'd say, 'Take it all back.'"
    Guess we should give the guy a break. He's got a fight that might be tougher than most Saturday night, and he'll barely have time to relax afterward when he's due at the Las Vegas jail to begin serving what's expected to be a two-month sentence for domestic abuse.
    Before I set him off he had been in a reflective mood, quietly talking about basically raising himself as a child. He spoke about how the gym was his only refuge, and how he used to put pictures from boxing magazines on his wall and stare at them at night, convinced he would one day be rich and famous, too.
    He's both, now. But he's not so sure the fame part is worth it anymore.
    "I want to live a normal life. I want to go to the mall by myself, but I know I can't," he said. "I do want to take a walk by myself, but I can't. There's a lot I want to do."
    It's hard not to like Mayweather in these moments. Actually, I've always liked the Mayweather I've been around, a guy who is generally thoughtful and upbeat. He contributes some of his considerable fortune to those less fortunate, and he does it mostly without asking for credit. His various arrests show another side, yes, but at the age of 35 he seems to finally be outgrowing the foibles of his youth.
    I still like him, even after the rant that ended with a dramatic flourish when he leaned over and offered his hand to me.
    "Have a good day," he said.

20. #1draftpik

#1draftpik Member

the fight

anyone know any other sites to watch the fight