1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boxing] Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs Juan Manuel Marquez

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by bladeage, Sep 6, 2009.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Sep 20, 2009.
  1. Mayweather by KO/TKO

20.0%
  2. Mayweather by decision

55.6%
  3. Marquez by KO/TKO

13.3%
  4. Marquez by decision

11.1%
  1. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Not quite as good as Hard knocks, imo. I agree with your buddy though, Marquez's parts have been pretty boring (until the piss drinking part). Floyd and his fam are carrying the whole thing.

1 person likes this.
  2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Agreed, Hard Knocks is badass as well. Pretty much anything HBO puts out is extremely well done.

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

don't get me wrong, i love Hard Knocks, but I feel like it has jumped the shark to an extent. too much playing to the camera, not enough candidness anymore.

24/7 is consistently great and compelling tv. they could take 2 shmoes from my local gym and i'd watch every episode.

either way though, them boys at HBO sports know how to cut and edit some film

4. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

5. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

nobody is knocking mayweather out....floyd will win by boring UD as always ...he will be too quick for marquez.

6. what

what Member

Juan Manuel Marquez gets as little respect as Hagler got back in the day when he was in the shadow of Sugar Ray Leonard.

If you ask me which fight I would most like to see: it wouldn't be Floyd Mayweather against Pac, it'd be Marquez-Pac 3.

I hope Marquez knocks floyd the hell out. The only guy I like better than JMM at this point is gerry penalosa. You talk about heart, gerry has heart.

1 person likes this.
  7. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

the only way for JMM to win this fight is via tko and he knows it.

8. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I want to see Anthony Mundine take on Mayweather.

That's what I want to see.

9. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Tony is too big, hes super middleweight. Mayweather wouldn't move up to 160+. He fought oscar at 154...thats as high as he will probably go. I am hoping he fights Cotto, even if he loses against Pac. Then setup a megafight next fall against Pac. Pac and Mosley should fight in the spring.. and Cotto and Floyd also.. then come october 2010... the fight everyone wants to see will happen.

Personally I don't think its that good of a fight. Floyd will counterpunch Pac allllll night like Marquez did. Floyd takes that with a UD. I would rather see Pac and Marquez 3.

10. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Mundine is a can

11. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Oh yeah I hate Mundine - and i'm sick of him mouthing off about
    being the best in the world - size be damned Mayweather would shut him
    the hell up!

Mind you, as far as mouths go - Floyd can probably match him.

12. LAFIRMA22

LAFIRMA22 Member

mayweater will be broke by the time he gets to his dad's age he wastes his money on dumb stuff.

13. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Floyd is faster stronger and smarter thats why I have hime winning by decision. I don't Marquez can be knocked out he has a lot of heart he will keep getting up when knocked down. I'm thnking we won't see the Pacman vs Floyd fight because I have the strangest feeling Cotto is about to spoil the party.

14. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

DAMN no punchline to that just damn!!

15. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

anyone seen the information on how much they'll charge to watch the fight at home via PPV??

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think this whole fight is a setup for Pac v. Mayweather. Watched some "free on demand" hype this weekend for the fight, and you can see even it that...that's where it's going. Assuming Mayweather wins.

18. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

I don't see it happening honestly. That is what everybody wants but as long as Pac is with Top Rank, it isn't likely.

Floyd vs Shane is more likely, if Shane beats Clottey in December.

I just don't see Pac taking a smaller cut of the money, and Floyd isn't going to do a 50/50 split.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing Floyd vs Pac, but I don't think it would be as exciting as most people think. There are better fights out that there that can be made.

But all Floyd has to say is..fine lets make the fight happen and it will happen. Because then you will know he wants it and is going to be more open to negotiate. Floyd never usually talks about the future until the post-fight interview. If he dominates Marquez, then we might hear something good.

#38 bladeage, Sep 8, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  19. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Mayweather needs to make a STATEMENT in this one, so that people can take him seriously again and stop crediting his victories to minor decisions.....I say he goes for the knockout. This sets up an equal star power bout vs. Pacquaio and I can stop dreaming and start believing.

I don't think Shane's takin Mayweather, Shane's on the wind down and although he surprised people in his last fight vs. Margarito, that's exactly what it was, a surprise. I think he'll beat Clottey but it won't be a overwhelming defeat to the point where he can stack up against Mayweather, that's if Mayweather blows out JMM.

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

While I disagree that Marquez has zero star power, he has a huge Mexican following, but you basically killed Floyd's theory that he will only fight people that draw. Hes turned down many fighters claiming they don't draw. Yet, he chooses to fight a guy that you say has zero star power. He turned down Cotto and Mosley for that same exact reason. Also, as much as Money May talks about how hes such a big draw, it shouldn't matter who hes fighting because he should get big draws regardless.