1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boxing] Confirmed - Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs Victor Ortiz Sept 17th.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Evil Empire, Jun 7, 2011.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mayweather good for boxing? Larry Merchant has the right idea...

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eNAa5bAy7Tc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

who's ****ting on the fight in this thread??

3. what

what Member

I'm not sure floyd is capable of putting together that kind of punch to hurt Victor.

If Victor doesn't respect Floyd's punching power it could be really bad for Mayweather.

Mayweather already got rocked by shane and shane isn't have the puncher victor is.

And lets be honest, Berto has a lot of speed as well and victor was able to overcome it.

This is going to be tough fight for floyd, and I'm certain that floyd is thinking another slow fighter that he can dominant with his speed and defense. I'm not so sure that will be the case.

What gets me is that as soon as Berto gets beat by Victor Floyd is ready to fight again. So he obviously believes that he has another so called "easy" opponent who the public believes is a great but who he just knows is a sitting duck for his defense and speed.

Make no mistake Floyd rejoiced that there was another slow "bum" for the taking. But Floyd might have outsmarted his own self this time.

4. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

I'm quite pleased with Mayweather/Ortiz, though it probably won't resemble this epic slugfest

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9OybNRIDExU?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9OybNRIDExU?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

1 person likes this.
  5. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Berto doesnt have an iron chin... he was rocked and stunned several times by Berto in their match and almost got ktfo. While i think Floyd's hand speed is slightly slower than Berto, he definitely has more than enough speed power and precision to rock, stun and even knock Berto out.

In their match, Ortiz was rocked, stunned a good half dozen times by Berto's one punch leads and counter. And the only reason he was able to overcome the speed of Berto, was because Berto failed to throw more than one punch at a time, failed to box, failed to move and instead laid on the ropes half of every round.

The only chance Berto has against Floyd is to pressure him and outwork him, while praying he isnt knocked silly ala Hatton while trying to get and stay inside. I see Berto being a game challenger, trying to rough up floyd, trying to work the body, stay inside etc, but ultimately getting potshotted and countered for it. In short Floyd winning decisively against a game, competitive but ultimately outclassed Berto.

6. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

meant to say only chance ortiz has vs floyd.... change last paragraph to ortiz instead of berto.

7. what

what Member

But what I was saying was that floyd didn't want a fight with Berto because of a perceived danger that he doesn't feel with Ortiz.

My point is that floyd is still being scumbag ducking floyd. He didn't take the ortiz fight to please fans. He was hand picking ortiz because he doesn't think ortiz has a style that can challenge him and I'm saying that floyd might be wrong this time.

8. Prince

Prince Member

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/...ortiz-could-be-prelude-to-mayweather-pacquiao

9. SunsRocketsfan

boxing is sure really good at hyping up fights.. I'm excited.. cant wait till Sept 17th

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Well I don't think HBO is the "be all and end all" to a boxing career. In fact, I question their tactics. For example, the turned down Zbik for Martinez but approved Zbik for Chavez Jr. (that fight drew 1.5M viewers bytheway). As for Williams, his team and not HBO, were also turning down fights left and right.

Honestly, these rinky dink promoters need to stop letting HBO promote their fighters and depend so much on HBO dates. Just look at Sergio Martinez. How in the world does a Top 5 Fighter in the world, has yet to have one PPV fight, let alone a big enough following for one? He should be fighting more than twice a year. I know Bob Arum gets a lot of negative talk, but he and Golden Boy would have made Sergio Martinez a house hold name. Same goes with other HBO fighters like Paul Williams and Andre Berto. All these guys should have a bigger name than they do. Say what you want about Bob but he knows how to promote his boxers.

You can't help but imagine what wonders would Top Rank and Golden Boy would do with them. And then these promoters expect to match up their unknown fighters with TR/GBP fighters in hope for a big pay day. How about they get off their asses and actually promote their fighters, stop waiting on HBO, build their names and then maybe they'll get these big fights to happen more often.

11. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

It's going to be at a catchweight of 144.. Pac the catchweight king isn't going to give anyone any advantage of course. I mean, Pac and Roach saw what Floyd did to Marquez at 144, so OBVIOUSLY, that is the weight they want to fight him at.

Manny is going to run through Marquez at 144.

Floyd fighting Ortiz is a good tune-up for fighting Manny. Oscar used Victor as a sparring partner before he fought Manny, and I heard Ortiz handed him his ass in the gym.

12. VanityHalfBlack

Hahahahhahaha, poor Oscar.....

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Floyd coming in over 144 is not the same as Pacman coming in at 144. Not to mention that Floyd is the naturally bigger fighter than Marquez. Nacho already stated they have no problems with the catchweight because Pacquaio always comes in at a good weight on fight night. This also isn't a straight jump from lightweight to 144, JMM has been fighting at 140 in his past few fights.

Weight will not be a factor in this fight. Its not like he rehydrates to a super middleweight. Seriously, he came in at 144 for a catchweight fight at 150. As of now, Pacquiao sparks out Marquez at 135, 140, 144 and 147. He's just too fast and too powerful for Juan. The biggest difference is that he isn't the same wild fighter he was when they first met. He fights smarter and more refined.

14. Prince

Prince Member

15. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

16. Prince

Prince Member

let's get ready to rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrumble....

[​IMG]

17. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

Pretty pumped for this fight. The 24/7 series starts this Saturday too

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7uPQjo3k8xc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Prince

Prince Member

im soooo thrilled.... too bad i'm going to be on business trip on that day....

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This really is a GREAT fight. Manny's fight is just as good. If they both win they have to have the biggest showdown of all time.