1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boxing] Antonio Margarito vs Sugar Shane Mosley

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by bladeage, Jan 24, 2009.

Tags:
  1. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

I'm surprised no one else has posted anything about this fight. This could be one for the ages. It will be on HBO tonight, NO PAY-PER-VIEW!

I say that unless Mosley goes to the body early on Tony, it will be similar to the Cotto fight. Obviously Tony can take punches to the head and chin without even flinching. Mosley needs to move away from Tony's right hand, and go to the body early. Once Tony slows down, he can start working the chin with uppercuts inside. Although Shane should also watch out for the devastating uppercuts from Margarito. It can really go either way, Shane is very fast, probably the fastest guy Tony has faced since Clottey.

My prediction, Tony by TKO in round 10 or 11. I just don't think Shane can take a full force uppercut from Margarito.

2. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

Shane is way, way faster than Clottey, but he doesn't really use speed to his advantage. He gets caught up in exchanges and is there to be hit. He's the only supposed "master boxer" with no jab and average defense. He can really punch when he loads up, though, and has hinted in interviews that he'll go to the body. If Cotto did that, I think he could have beaten Margarito. It's just hard for me to pick any welterweight(excluding Paul Williams) to beat Margarito because he hasn't shown that he can be hurt.

40% chance Margarito stops Shane rounds 9-12.
    40% chance Margarito wins a decision.
    1% chance Shane stops Margarito.
    19% chance Shane wins a decision.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Margarito will win easily. He has a chin made of granite. Mosley is past his prime.

4. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

Damn, two replies. I guess boxing really is dead.

5. pchan

pchan Member

thanks, haven't been paying attention to boxing, but I would be sad to miss this one.

6. bladeage

Wow Mosley is definitely on his game tonight. He looks like a 25 year old fighter out there. Margarito just can't catch him. You can tell Shane trained his ass off.

7. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

8. bladeage

omg...I can't believe this.

9. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

:eek: mosley tko!!!!

10. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

good god wtf!!!

^^^^ thanks for the link bassfly!!!

11. H-town_playa2k2

margarito exposed by a great fighter

12. pchan

pchan Member

oh f**k!

Mosley!

I am speechless

13. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I'm shocked! Mosley needs to double his trainer's salary....and buy him a new car as a bonus. I was not expecting this.

14. pchan

pchan Member

Mosley needs to buy himself a new car.. a new house.. a new woman.. he deserves it!

15. bladeage

Shane is a monster. He studied Margarito extremely well. It will be tough for Margarito to not fall victim to the same strategy against any other top welterweight.

16. Caboose

Caboose Member

I can't believe it.... mosley killed margarito. i thought margarito would win, but I wouldn't have been shocked if mosley squeaked out a close decision. I'm shocked that he totally dominated and knocked out margarito. shocked.

17. deepblue

deepblue Member

what's interesting is Mosley's trainer found Margarito was putting in some hard plastic shell into the hand wrap, kinda makes you wonder the way he destroyed cotto.

Either way, Shane looked great tonight.

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Speed kills!

19. Caboose

Caboose Member

I erally didn't think that shane could dominate margarito like that. coming in i thought he would need to dominate with the jab to have a chance, but shane in the past usually just threw a eally weak jab to just let his opponent know he was their and to set up the right, instead of stopping them in their tracks with a tough jab.

20. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

That's true, that's why I picked Margarito to win. Shane's jab has never looked better, he was actually throwing it to the body a la Mayweather and tripling it up to blind Margarito for the nasty overhand rights.

I'm glad I was wrong, as I was a fan of both but usually root for the old guys to pull out great performances when they are counted out.

I say was a fan of both because if Margarito truly did have plaster or a plaster-like substance in his gloves, he loses all of my respect. No wonder Cotto's face got mangled. And to go back and watch him taunt Kermit Cintron after knocking him out with probably loaded gloves would be too repulsive for me to even sit through.