1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BOTP: Knicks' primary hope is for Melo to open up trade list beyond HOU and CLE

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Entropy

Entropy Member

So in translation: The Knicks want Melo to go to a place where he has no chance of winning, instead of a place where he will greatly improve the winning chances.

DonKnock, saleem, gatsby and 4 others like this.
  2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Ryan Anderson is the primary problem though. If Ryan's contract wasn't that terrible Portland wouldn't be have the leverage to be pushing the Knicks and Houston to help them send Leonard's albatross of a contract somewhere too. Morey is pretty much trying to help three teams out right now and possibly 4 teams because we're the one pretty much getting the "prize". I don't envy Morey and the position he is in right now. I wouldn't be surprised if he has Van Gundy's bug eyes and dark bags/ circles tomorrow at the Chris Paul press conference. If Morey pulls this off the entire board owes that man a drink.

3. Quadrakill Amumu

Ben is right.

This part gave it away:

The primary hope, according to the source, is Anthony decides to open up his wish list beyond the Rockets and Cavaliers, as he has a no-trade clause.
    What Melo has to realize is that for the Knicks:

3) Third Worst Case Scenario - Anthony only wants to go to Cleveland. Thanks to Cleveland's FU offer of Shumpert + Smith.
    2) Second Worst Case Scenario - Anthony only wants to go to Houston. Morey works out some decent returns for them.
    1) Worst Case Nightmare Scenario - Melo only wants to stay in New York, holds on to No Trade Clause, and opts in.

Melo's response ought to be, "Why didn't you just say so? Of course I would stay in New York forever. I love it here. I never wanted to leave. F--- Cleveland. F--- Houston. You don't need other destinations. It's you and I. No trade. Kissy. Kissy."

If Melo wanted out of New York, then he would have left without signing the contract.

4. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Time for Morey to step his game up and ignore the knicks, Honestly this situation is getting crazy, Like i posted in the other thread IMO he is gonna get bought out and eventually sign with his desired destination which I truly think us.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Original Wishlist:

1) Houston
    2) Cleveland

Expanded Wishlist:

1) H o u s t o n
    2) C l e v e l a n d

Deuce, Chanmarr, Richie_Rich and 23 others like this.
  6. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Love it!

New York - get fukd.

DonKnock, Stormy1234 and jacoby like this.
  7. Quadrakill Amumu

Original Wishlist:

1) New York

New Work: We don't love you anymore, but we don't want to pay the alimony.
    Melo: Sigh. Cry. Alright. If that's what you really want.

Current Wishlist:

1) New York
    2) Houston
    3) Cleveland

New York: We don't like the wishlist.
    Melo: Oh. Is that so? Okay. Gimme a minute to revise it.

New Wishlist:

1) New York

New York: Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

jacoby likes this.
  8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Pics or gtfo. : )

thedreamsteam and bilaal14 like this.
  9. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Wrong....is either he will go to Houston or Clev...

Yule C

Chanmarr and Tfor3 like this.
  10. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

does melos agent have a history of getting what he wants like a rich paul or more like a BJ armstrong and stuffing up moves and deals

Stormy1234 likes this.
  11. rockets13champs

Kangzz used all their cap on carter, Randolph and hill

12. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

13. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Do you remember that time we almost got Melo? That was awesome.

Richie_Rich and Remlap like this.
  14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Absolutely! (Speaking of guys who can't return; sorry, Ryno, you don't deserve this.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Been rambling on and on about this for weeks. No reason for NY to hurry making one of several shitty deals. They can make this deal anytime before the deadline, and we'd also be happy to make the deal (where we don't give up Ariza/Gordon/Capela) in the last minute before the deadline.

Houston and Cleveland are the only ones who would benefit from a quick deal. What the Knicks get in return can improve slightly with time (for example, if 1 or 2 more teams decide they desperately need a stretch 4 and offer better pieces in a multi-team trade). What the Knicks get can not possibly get worse. Neither us nor Cleveland have a worse package to offer than what we're offering. Both teams offering literally their least wanted players.

The only time I see this situation changing is when training camp starts, and then the Knicks may have to factor in how having the Melo cloud hanging over the team is not worth a slight improvement in what they acquire in trade. But it's the Knicks, what the F would they know about managing an actual team, especially one filled with young impressionable players.

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Stop worrying guys we getting Melo for sure... the timeframe is what is really unpredictable.

ClutchCitity81 likes this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Melo holds the cards to a certain extent because of the no trade clause, but this is also causing tension between the Knicks and him.

My gut feeling is that he may want to join Lebron first. but he is open to Houston too. An expanded trade list, may work out for the Knicks and him, but I believe Melo would rather join a real contender, and get all his money too. Houston has an advantage to some extent because of the no state income tax rules. I doubt if Melo would to go to Orlando, Miami may have an outside chance of getting him, if he is willing to go there.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i do hope Paul and Harden are in his ear talking about, "yo man, you got a no-trade clause for a reason." "they're gonna try and break you down, try and get you to give up some control." "you gotta hold the line; you control where you go."

If i'm the Knicks, i don't like my odds negotiating against Harden and the Head of the Players Association. As worried as i am, given what we know, it's probably still more likely than not that Melo ends up playing here.

DonKnock, No Chance and saleem like this.
  19. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It actually can get worse because the NGs will get cut eventually. They at least provide cap relief. They will not be available if NY waits too long.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Can the Knicks force Carmelo and the League offices to buy him out? If yes, that is the only leverage that they have over him.