1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boston Herald: Celts take a double dip: Yao, Rockets add insult to injury

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by olliez, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Lionheart

Lionheart Member

Putting Cato in the LOW-block would be outrageuous. Cato has no GAME what-so-ever down LOW. The reason why his field goal percentage is so high is cause of Put-backs and the Ally-oopps.

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

If Padge can bring the O consistently...and his D isnt that bad....maybe it is time to move Mo to the starting lineup and let Cato spell Yao at the 5.

The spacing created for Yao to work in the paint with MO/Padge in the game with him isnt lost on me....unless Cato can start hitting those 12 footers consistently....time to move him back to the bench.

Im still unsure whether or not to trade KC...but if a 4 with O skills and rebounding can be had for him....then maybe it is time.

But above all....do not trade Cato unless it is for someone we really need.

3. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Cato has a decent game inside. He can hit a consistent inside jumper and has shown that in the past.

Padgett got 12 boards and moT had like 7. Isn't that enough!

4. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Wouldn't we still need a backup center then? We got rid of Amaechi, remember. Cato is an important backup because unlike most backup centers, he isn't TOTALLY worthless out there.

Cato's contract seems to make it unlikely that we're going to get a another reasonable player for him until his years are almost up and he's about to expire. I'd imagine several teams would be interested in the guy, but for that price? Could happen, I guess.

But like I said, when you've got a guy like Yao who has endurance problems, you're going to need a backup who can play solid minutes when needed. Cato's exceeded every expectation anyone had for him this season, and I don't figure we'll get anyone better as that reserve. I agree we need a better weapon at PF, but I don't think Cato's the guy who can get us that weapon on the market.

Plus, hell, I like the guy. ;)

5. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

If anyone is still developing there niche on the team it is MoT and Cato. That's a tough position to divide up and make a strong part of your offense in the west....

6. jiggadi

jiggadi Contributing Member

I think that JVG does understand that having MO or Padgett in the game gives us nice spacing. But Cato is a delicate situation. You have him believing in himself and playing very hard you would not want to mess with his mentality right now. I would like to see Mo start because I remember last year Bill and Calvin would call him Mr. 1st quarter because he would come out firing and get the O started. But what about the playoffs? Its a whole new ball game and we need Cato to continue to play this way so he can keep up his good play when the time comes. Just my 2 cents.

7. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Cato was very diplomatic about PT last year with yao and coming off the bench. You could almost do what they did last night. Play either one as a starter or substitute immediately on observation of the other teams defensive strategy and who they are helping from the weak side.

That's coaching..... offensive coaching.

I hope it was Padgett over MoT because of how Padgett played Boston Sunday when they made the comeback. That would support what I just suggested - a situational substitution based on Boston and their D. Padgett over MoT because he spreads the floor even more than MoT with his 3 pt. attempts.

8. feishen

feishen Member

Man, the way Cato has been playing lately... It's better Yao killed Celts than Cato. Cato would've knocked down open jump shots all night long, shut them down all night long. Cato is our #1 guy right now. :D :D :D :D

9. Man

Man Contributing Member

I love Cato. Like someone said..he provides intensity and energy and blocked shots and steals and dunks and rebounds. His offense ...6 assists..I didn't watch teh game but that's amazing. He still cannot shoot..he can make one once in a while. I think he has improved his free throw shooting. Some games..he is awesome..while other games...he is like useless. I don't know why all opposing teams don't just leave him wide open...

Taylor is great off the bench. Good backup.

Padgett is pretty consistent..I like him..he hustles and he tries..and he can shoot..and he knows how to play..

Weatherspoon..it seems like he will be our new Amaechi..

Francis/Wilks/Jackson
    Mobley/Piatkowski
    Jackson/Padgett/Nachbar
    Cato/Taylor/Weatherspoon
    Yao

Our team is pretty deep..and versatile..but I would still like to add some free agents in the offseason. I wish we could get Brent Barry, Mehmet Okur or Troy Murphy, and Desmond Mason...Jamaal Magloire would be sorta good.

We could be great if Francis plays..Mobley makes his shots..Jackson makes his shots like he has been doing..Yao does his stuff inside..Piatkowski make his 3's..Taylor make his shots..Padgett good...AND IF CATO LEARNS HOW TO SHOOT!

10. haven

haven Member

Cato is such a horrible offensive force that he can't justify the # of minutes he gets. The advantage that he provides defensively over a league average defensive PF just doesn't make up for his neglible O.

Especially since it allows a total defensive collapse upon Yao.

Fabulous back-up C. Terrible starting PF.

11. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Mmm... He used to be. Unable to hit anything 5 feet from the basket. But lately his shooting has been remarkable, albeit by brute force of dunking. But his FT is on a steady rise. Given time, he will be paying dividends.

12. haven

haven Member

Ummm, no. You couldn't be more wrong.

Does he dunk? Yep. Yippee. Woo freakin' hoo.

Which means that when another player tees him up and holds his hand, he can hit the ocean from a boat.

But the problem is, that's not sufficient. To force the defense to be honest around Yao, he has to have range out to about 12 feet. He doesn't. He isn't getting that range. And to expect a player Cato's age to improve substantially... is an unrealistic expectation. It's happened before - but gambling on it's absurd.

Given time, he'll be insufficient as a PF. Just as he is now. Sorry, you're buying into the Myth of Unlimited Improvement.