1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boston Globe] Ewing's thoughts are centered on Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

http://www.boston.com/sports/basket...05/12/25/some_tidings_of_joy_some_not/?page=3

Ewing's thoughts are centered on Yao

The Rockets' loss of Yao Ming (toe surgery) is as surprising as it is devastating. The guy had been a gamer in his first three seasons in the league, missing only two games, both last season.

And as he progressed into Year 4, Houston assistant coach Patrick Ewing, who knows a thing or two about big men, offered these thoughts on the Rockets' center: ''He still has a lot of room to grow. But when I look at Yao, I see a 20-point-plus and 10-rebound guy." (Yao was averaging career highs of 19.9 points and nine rebounds a game when he was injured.) ''Once he gets to that level and demands a double team night in and night out, he's going to have arrived."

Did Ewing think Yao had overcome his earlier reputation of not being feisty enough? ''He's coachable. But sometimes, I think he listens a little too much," Ewing said. ''Sometimes you can be too coachable. There's a time when you need to say, 'I know how to do it. I'm going to go out and get it done.' He needs to do that sometime."

Could that have anything to do with Yao's cultural upbringing? ''No," Ewing said. ''That's the way he is. I don't think it has anything to do with being Chinese. China is a superpower. They've survived for centuries doing things the way they do it. Obviously, they're doing something right to survive as long as they have."

Houston, which is 0-8 in games that Tracy McGrady has missed, is 1-2 without Yao, who is expected to be out until mid-January.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

I wish Ewing's thoughts were centered on leaving Houston, IMO, one of the worst possible choices for Ming's coach. JVG's apparent dream of creating a Ewing clone has been frustrating to watch. I would like Ming to pattern after Walton or Jabbar.

3. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ditto Solid.

Lakers got PJ, Tex Winter, and Kareem. Rudy too, in his proper role. Wish we had them.

JVG can go to hell. He is the worst possible choice for our team. Les was an imbecile to pass on that and renew the sour loser.

4. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Did they get that information from Ewing as well?

Watching the Lakers-Heats game today, I was wondering why the Lakers can play as well as they have been, with the players they have. They have Bryant, and a do-everything-average Odom, not much better than us, but their offense seems so much smooth compare to ours.

#4 daoshi, Dec 25, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
  5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pretend Bryant=McGrady and compare the rest of the casts.

Odom can handle the ball and is an exceptional rebounder. So can Smush Parker, and Smush can shoot it. If you force the ball out of Bryant's hands, those guys are gonna create shots for themselves and others. A guy like Mihm can score when he has a mismatch and hit the open midrange shot. Same for Brian Cook.

Howard can do a decent job for us (and has), but he's not a spring chicken anymore. Swift plays dumb. Head has been nice, but he's not a point guard yet. Neither is Wesley.

Right now, TMac is our best ball handler, best shooter, best post up man, best passer, best scorer, best defender, and probably even best rebounder. There's only so many hats a guy can wear.

Getting back Rafer Alston would be a load off TMac's passing, ball handling, and penetrating responsibilities.
    Getting back Jon Barry would give TMac someone who will hit the open shot.
    Getting back Derek Anderson would provide another shooter, scorer, and defender.
    Getting back Sura would just be cool.

But in the end, the Lakers are built around Kobe. The Rockets are built around TMac and Yao. The surrounding pieces are predicated on having both, not one.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Did anyone see that game where the entire team was in the huddle and Ewing was turned around watching the mascot try to shoot it from half-court?

I thought that was a pretty clear summary of what he's done since he's been here.

7. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Ewing has thoughts?

8. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Very well stated...