1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Boston Globe) Astros' players sought by contenders

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by xiki, Jul 15, 2007.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/07/15/issue_has_plenty_of_juice/?page=full

In contention for their services
    The Astros are a team contenders, including the Red Sox, are following closely because once they determine a fire sale is in order, there's going to be a lot of interest in their players. While Roy Oswalt has a no-trade clause, he told the Houston Chronicle he'd be open to waiving it. The Mets are trying like crazy to land him, as will the Red Sox, who tried to get him last season. Brad Lidge, Dan Wheeler, Jason Jennings, and Mike Lamb will also draw considerable interest. One American League scout said late last week, "It's like we're all knocking on the door and they won't let us in. The knocks are getting louder and at some point someone's going to knock the door down."

2. MaxwellsTemper

I highly doubt Roy O is going anywhere despite his mediocre year.

And from the guys they listed, I doubt any AL team is offering up much for the likes of Lamb or Wheeler. Sure you could trade one of those guys, but what kind of value are you really gonna get back? In the long run, those guys are better talents than the mid-level talent you'll get back. The only guy I could see moving is Lidge.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It's hard to see Oswalt coming over without us getting someone like Beckett or Bucholz....

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm guessing they're all asking more about Oswalt than they are about Ensberg, Qualls, Wheeler, or even Lidge... hence the frustration when the Astros don't want to listen.

5. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I don't see any scenario where Oswalt would be traded. None. Zero. Zip. Just not gonna happen.

6. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Also has already stated to the Houston Chronicle that he will wavie his no-trade clause if it betters the team.

7. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

anyone else think it's funny the red sox press didn't mention Loretta.

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Did he go out on bad terms with them or something?

I don't think they have any need for him. They've got Pedroia, Renteria, and Lowell all doing pretty well in the infield. Actually, I don't think they are a very likely partner for anyone we have available. They want to hit a homerun if they deal anybody, hence the Oswalt talk.

9. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

10. MaxwellsTemper

I doubt it means much. If a reporter asks you "if the team tries to trade you, would you drop your no trade clause?" what are you supposed to say?

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I hope we don't trade Roy Oswalt.

He along with Berkman, and now Lee and Pence should be the "Biggio and Bagwell" of our franchise for the next 10 years.

You don't find players with character like the 6 I named very often.

12. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

no? :D

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

it'll be tough to part with him...but I guess Wandy can be had for the right price... :eek:

14. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Haha, nice one. :)

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

If you traded Oswalt, you would have to get some of the studliest prospects in baseball in return. He might be one of the most valuable players possible in all of baseball due to his contract. After the last free agents signing period, its now been shown his contract is a bargain. You can not sign a pitcher of his level to a contract that he has.

Someone would have to have 3 stud young players to give you in return.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Not quite. Renteria plays for the Braves. They have Julio Lugo at short and he has been hitting under .200. Lugo has been losing playing time to Alex Cora, who isn't exactly known for his offense.

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'm not saying I want to trade him, but Oswalt's velocity has been declining for a couple of years now. His ERA is 3.91, and his peripheral statistics aren't even that good. For comparison, in all measurable categories, Jason Jennings pitched a better season in 2006 than Roy has this year.

PECOTA projected Roy's ERA above 4 this season, I believe, and it looks like they might've seen this one coming. He's also unlikely to pitch beyond his current contract.

Again, I'm not saying I want to trade Oswalt, but I think some of you are letting sentiment get in the way of objective thinking. This clearly isn't the same pitcher as he was a couple of years ago. Could he regain that form? Absolutely, but there's reason for at least some doubt. If by some chance you get a mega-deal that fills multiple holes... and only in that scenario... it might be worth thinking about.

All that said, I'd be beyond stunned if they dealt Oswalt, given all he's meant to this franchise. I just can't see it. But, from a strictly baseball perspective in terms of how the team is performing now and looking forward, I don't think you can completely dismiss the possibility.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is what they said when Nolan Ryan left.

19. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I don't see how you can possibly put Carlos Lee in the same regard as Bagwell or Biggio. Carlos is a good guy but he's no where near the character of Bigg or Baggy.

20. Enron

Enron Member

I believe Oswalt will get better when the whole team gets better.