1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boston Celtics and Dallas Mavericks agree on Rajon Rondo trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Dec 17, 2014.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

where is LOL directed?

LOL @ Parsons getting traded when he didnt want to be traded
    LOL @ Morey for saying the contract was untradable?
    LOL @ Cuban talking about team chemistry?
    LOL @ Morey for not trading for Rondo earlier knowing that all it would take was Parsons?

a lot of LOL to go around.

2. NewAge

NewAge Member

meh... What he has shown is that he can roll to the basket and finish when defense is preoccupied with Monta or Dirk (or Parson's to lesser extend) pop. On a Boston team he will not be let to roll so freely: you don't have to worry so much about Marcus Smart or Avery Bradley popping a jumper on you... Has he shown post-up game? has he shown face-up shooting touch? OK player, but pretty one-dimensional

3. ggeorge115

ggeorge115 Member

lmaoo "a lot of LOL to go around" hahaha

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Dallas should go get Rondo even with no promise he'll stay. How many more years does Dirk have? Might as well go all out in this 1.</p>&mdash; J.A. Adande (@jadande) <a href="https://twitter.com/jadande/status/545472001532387328">December 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I have to ask...what the Mavs using to match salary...and in regards to value,
    who are they more likely to give up Parsons or Wright plus fillers.

I could see them flipping Parsons and a first for Rondo...but if they trade Wright, they would have to add more "chemistry" into the trade (ie Barrea, or Nelson, Crowder??).

That being said, Ainge better be asking for the farm from Dallas. Cuban will do anything to get Rondo to play along side Dirk, Chandler and Ellis. That is a terrific lineup and will have great results.

6. marky :)

marky :) Member

A "blossoming" Brandon Wright? This guy has been "blossoming" for like 5 years now. Him plus a pick shouldn't be enough for Boston to do that trade.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Ainge bites on just Wrights and high draft picks.

Especially if Lakers offering their draft pick.

8. hakeemthagreat

It may not be popular on here, but keeping Bev seems like the better option. Rondo's a better playmaker, but that's the ONLY thing he does better. Given the fact Harden does 95% of the playmaking on this team, Rondo's role would significantly reduced. Plus his shooting woes could possibly be disasterous

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

LOL at the trade kicker in his contract?

10. haydenfisher342

Mark Stein " 28 Nba Teams all have interest in Rajon Rondo. Selling to highest bidder"

11. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Hmmm... I wonder who that one team that isn't interested is.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Clippers. I'd choose CP3 six ways from Sunday over Rondo.

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The Rockets Pick from the Jermey Lin trade isnt of much value to the Celtics. The Lakers own draft pick(most likely high lottery pick) will be used to to pay for the Nash trade (Suns get it). Basically, no Rondo for the Lakers via trade.

14. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Doc Rivers still got a grudge against Rondo.

1 person likes this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

With Celtics president Danny Ainge seriously engaging several teams on Rondo trade scenarios, a league source told CBSSports.com Thursday that the point guard is open to re-signing with at least two of them -- the Mavericks and Rockets.

Other teams, including the Lakers and Knicks, have been on the periphery of talks. But Ainge is unlikely to deal Rondo within the conference, much less within the division. As for the Lakers, who can offer a top-five protected pick in 2015 and Steve Nash's $9.7 million expiring contract (paid mostly by insurance), they are viewed as more of an option for Rondo in free agency next summer if he is not traded by the Feb. 19 deadline.

Given Rondo's looming unrestricted free agency, any deal would have to come with assurances that he'd be willing to re-sign with his new team. While those discussions have yet to take place with agent Bill Duffy since no trade agreement is in place, a person familiar with Rondo's thinking said the possibility of competing for championships in Dallas or Houston intrigues him.

This is not to say Rondo is seeking a trade. Asked after Wednesday night's 109-92 victory over Orlando if he wanted to stay in Boston, Rondo told reporters, "How many times do you want me to say it? ... My thoughts and my opinions as far as the organization haven't changed."

But Ainge's willingness to engage teams in serious trade talks for Rondo certainly has -- and on several levels, it's easy to see why.

First, whatever you might think of Rondo's shaky jumper and cantankerous demeanor, he is a game-changing talent who could turn the West's playoff race on its head depending on where he lands. If he can make the likes of Kelly Olynyk and Brandon Bass look like All-Stars at times, imagine what he could do with Monta Ellis and Dirk Nowitzki -- much less James Harden and Dwight Howard.

Hot starts by Golden State (21-3) and Memphis (21-4) have other Western Conference contenders looking to the trade market to close the gap. Look no further than Rondo, who makes everyone around him better on both ends of the floor.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24899304/source-rajon-rondo-open-to-re-signing-with-mavs-or-rockets

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

That article basically states the truth. If he can avg 11 assists per game with a team that has Kelly Olynk and other scrubs...imagine what he could do here. Plus he is a rebounding guard. Rondo is a triple double threat each and every game. This would allow Harden to play like Pierce down the stretches of games, and Dwight would finally have zero trouble getting an entry pass in to the post, or a perfect lob pass. Rondo allows us to compete on a title level with OKC, Memphis, LAC and the Spurs. The Rockets arent dumb, and Morey knows that Ainge is trying to drive up the price by including a "division rival" in Dallas (who personally cant offer what the Rockets can in terms of value).

It was nice with Beverley, but Rondo is big boy level talent and he is a gamer. He played with a broken arm during the playoffs. My respect for Rondo has always been up there.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Adding to <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine">@ESPNSteinLine</a> report on Rondo from yesterday. Sources tell ESPN the Lakers also offered Boston multiple picks &amp; Nash for Rondo</p>&mdash; Ramona Shelburne (@ramonashelburne) <a href="https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/545651866781368320">December 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is flawed logic.

No matter how bad the Celtics are, they do score points. Every team scores points. Rondo is a terrible shooter and scorer himself, so he passes the ball a lot. If he constantly passing to someone, no matter how bad they are, he is going to get assists. And as he dominates the ball entirely for the Celtics, it stands to reason that a good chuck of points scored are going to come off his passes.

19. CrashTheBoards

This is very interesting. Cuban knows the Rockets will have the money to sign Rondo and that he prefers Houston over Dallas. It must be why he wants to trade for him rather than wait until the off-season to try and sign him. Also, the Mavs won't have enough to sign Dragic.

Rondo is a nice plan B no matter where he ends up, but I hope he doesn't get traded to Dallas. Last year Ainge wanted Parsons, Asik (who turned into a first), and two first round picks. Now that he is a possible rental he is desperate enough to take a first and Brandon Wright, lol.

I don't believe anything she says.

20. CrashTheBoards

I am sure this deal would be done by now if it weren't for that Lamar Odom trade costing Dallas a pick, lmao.