1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boston Celtics and Dallas Mavericks agree on Rajon Rondo trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Dec 17, 2014.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Dallas does have some tough choices to make. Chandler, Rondo, and Barea are free agents, and Ellis can opt out. You figure they'll resign Rondo no matter what since they don't want that trade to have been for nothing. But Ellis will be in line for a big payday. And Chandler's still got enough game that someone out there will throw a big contract his way.

I guess they could bring all of them back since they'd have all their Bird rights(if I'm wrong on that, let me know). But they'd be way over the cap in that situation.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

LOL @ people who wanted Rondo on the Rockets.

3. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Hihw3RQGMRw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

You do realize Rondo will still be a free agent at the end of the year right?If Dallas wanted him so badly why not just wait until the end of the year and sign him outright like what Houston did to Howard? That way they didn't have to lose Wright, their bench and a pick :rolleyes:

Also regarding Brandan Wright, since when did 27 years old become too old? It's pretty much the age where big men emerge and hit their prime. You act like he was Mr. Scrub but BW as a Mav was torching everyone to the tune of 75% FG and was good for 8-10 pts a game. Yeah he only played 18 mins, but that's because they had a dude named Dirk playing in front of him. Add the pick to losing a valuable bench guy like him and that's hardly what I'd call nothing.

Finally, I keep seeing you and other posters talk about how Dallas had to do it get a shot at a title....really? Getting Lebron would equate to having a shot at the title. Getting KD/Anthony Davis/insert superstar here would equate to a chance at a title. But this is Rajon Rondo we're talking about, since when was he good enough to turn teams into contenders by himself? I'm not sure what the Dallas brass were expecting, but it's ridiculous to think just adding him magically turns the team into world beaters.

Dallas had beaten a grand total of 1 Western playoff team prior to the trade, but at least they had the league's best offense so if they got the right breaks they might've done some damage (kinda' hard to stop a team when one of their guys score at 75% FG). However they put their hopes on Rondo when Rondo had never been that good in the first place and now they lost their 1st ranked offense and any chance at a deep playoff run, you can't expect them to win playoff series when they have no bench and Rondo hits fts at 25%, any momentum Dirk/Monta/Parsons get offensively is destroyed just by fouling Rondo and sending him to brick it up at the ft line.

Dallas is done, simple as that.

5. Jakey

Jakey Member

I still believe Rondo will be a plus in the playoffs where it's a seven game series and the game slows down a bit more. It also seems he needs to get used to his teammates tendencies and movement more which will come with time. And the old adage, defense wins championships. Still, that Haberstroh's "The Big Number" vid above imo nails the cause of the Mavs struggles lately. Whether a good trade or not still up in the air, but it is not looking great so far.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

When Dallas made that huge run last night, rondo and dirk were both on the bench

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Dallas continues to be one of the most overhyped teams in the media, with only Chicago giving them a run for their money for that title.

Dirk is obviously declining, Rondo is an awful fit, Parsons isn't nearly worth his contract, and they destroyed their bench. Monta Ellis is really the only player they have who's giving them above-average production compared to their contracts. They're going nowhere.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, "Rondo wasn't that good in the first place"...

:grin:

Chemistry is a hell of a thing.

9. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I understand that Dallas is having it's fair share of issues but that team in a 7 game series will be deadly. Dirk, parsons, Monte, can put up 70 by themselves.

I'm not sure how great Rondo is with that team but he is clearly better than jammer nelson. Tyson Chandler is also a great fit on the defensive side. I'm not sure but i think they have arguably the best starting 5 in the NBA.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone said that Nelson was better than Rondo as a player. But is Rondo a better fit? More importantly, imo, is that they gave up a good back up center to get Rondo. They'd better pray that Tyson Chandler could stay healthy all the way.

11. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Bill Simmons said something about Rondo, how he is a completely different player on national TV.

Come playoff time Dallas could be scary if it's still true.

Stats:
    https://harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress.com/2013/03/13/national-tv-rondo-actually-exists/

Simmon's whole article:
    http://grantland.com/features/welcome-retro-photo-diary/

12. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I was never a big fan of Rondo with the Rockets, but he'd have fit in better here than in Dallas imo.

But the Rockets are smart, they need a PG that can shoot 3s more than anything else, and Rondo can't do that at all.

13. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

^^ I thought Rondo didn't play in the fourth or had limited minutes when they went on the huge run. It was mainly Monta that attributed to that win.

I hope Monta gets pissed this offseason that Parsons is getting paid that much. I hope he asks for something a lot more than that.

**** the Dallas discount.

14. Salvy

Salvy Member

[​IMG]

15. HardenHardon

HardenHardon Member

You do realize that Brandan Wright was going to be a free agent at the end of the year, right? And Wright was always going to be MUCH more difficult to sign since Bird rights are less valuable when it comes to a guy that won't be getting near max money. Wright is going to get starting center money, but is nothing but a backup for Dallas. You say this all like it is a given that Wright would have been with the Mavs next season anyways. I don't know why this concept is so hard for some folks to understand.

Crowder was a very pedestrian and easily replaceable 10 minutes per game, so he wasn't exactly "their bench" and Nelson was a starter, so neither was he.

The guy played behind Tyson Chandler, not Dirk.

Christ, you are dense. The Mavs were within a game or two of the Rockets in that 3-6 seed prior to the trade, so they didn't/don't need a guy to take them from the basement to the NBA Finals. They needed something to get them from that 2nd tier of Western Conference teams (where the Rockets sit, too) up to that next level. Saying that Rondo gives them a shot at the title (if things work out better for them) is in the same spirit as saying that the Rockets need a PG like Dragic or a new coach in order to get them over the top. If the Mavs were a lottery team and folks said Rondo made them a contender, you'd have a point. But they weren't and you don't.

First off, to say that Rondo was never good suggests that you don't have credibility worthy of a response. I'm not saying he has been good this year or that he still has "it", but we are just a handful of years removed from the guy being absolutely critical to a Boston championship.

The Mav defense was wayyyyy too suspect to have a chance at a run. Their offense is 7th since the trade and their defense is 8th since then (both better than the Rockets, if you care). They've been getting killed on the glass (typical) and have turned the ball over like crazy (uncharacteristic) during their recent losing streak. They are far from a well-oiled machine and need to address some issues if they want this trade (and their title hopes) to work out, but to call them done at this point is crazy talk.

If, and it is a big if, they figure out Rondo's and Parsons' roles, they could be dangerous.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL look at Mr. HardenHardon here, what a Mr. Smartypants. Your post is dripping with so much condescension it's hard to make sense of it all without getting into internetz-nerd-rage mode. However, let's not forget the reality of the situation here, you predicted Dallas would take off with Rond'oh, I predicted they would flop. I was right, you were wrong. If I'm dense and have no credibility, what does that make you? Your tune of "they could be dangerous if X and Y and Z connect" is so different now from the ones you were making when the trade was first announced, wasn't it? "Dangerous"? What does that even mean, why don't you man up and say where you think the Mavs will end up instead of making qualifiers? Oh yeah, you did before and you just got burned :rolleyes:

Wright was a minimum level pickup for the Mavs and as you said he was just a bench player who doesn't even average 10 pts a game. Why would he be getting starter money and why would it be difficult for the Mavs to retain him vs Rondo who was demanding max money last summer and is clearly a target for the Lakers? Your bolded statement is wrong, bird rights obviously make it hard to pry away other players, when you can go over the cap to resign a player you can match other teams' contract offers. If Mavs were already at the cap and somebody offers BW 5M a year then using the bird rights Mavs can just match that. I honestly don't know why you can't get this concept, the whole point of bird rights is to be able to retain your players and here you are saying they aren't as big a factor if the player isn't a max FA. LOL just yet another example of you not getting it and yet it still acting superior.

Who cares if they were pedestrian or not, they were the bench in a typical playoff game you'd have around 2-3 guys as the bench so Dallas just lost pretty much their bench in their 8-man rotation. Plus what about their pick and the additional wear and tear on the starters since they just lost their "pedestrian" bench? I see no mention of this since it wouldn't fit into your narrative.

First of all even if the Mavs and Rox are the same record-wise, that is padded by meaningless wins (or losses) against Eastern teams. The only record that matters is the wins against Western playoff teams, and in that record while Houston is batting 50% Dallas is technically 0%, their only win was against a Spurs team mailing it in. So the reality is there is a large gulf for them to cross over into contendership, it doesn't matter if they get the 4th seed or whatever, if they spent the entire season going 0-fer even against the 8th seed WC team what are the chances they make it into the 2nd round? Plus, you make a false comparison because in the Dragic scenario it is just that, an addition. In Dallas it was an exchange, they exchanged their bench+pick and top level offense for Rondo. At least previously they were elite at something, so they still have a chance no matter who they face. Now they are like 7th in scoring and 8th in defense, what chance do they have against teams who are 7th+ in both offense and defense?

When I say Rondo "isn't that good" I was referring to how people act like they would make Dallas a contender when they had big holes to plug up, if Rondo was just an addition then yeah he would be a good addition but they took a step backward to take a step forward, and ultimately just remained the same team, albeit now more fragile and a pick lighter. When it comes to credibility, I may not have a lot but I definitely have way more than you, seeing as how you kept on harping about how awesome the Rondo trade was when looking at it now it was a stupid, pointless gamble. Rondo isn't even being played during critical moments, that's how useless he is to Carlisle, and what happens when Lakers snag him in FA? It would be funny to hear your opinions then too maybe you'll keep talking about how dense I am when the trade is proven a wrong move LOL.

Man this thread is the gift that keeps on giving, and we're not even 3/4s in the season. I'll be sure to necro this thread once the playoffs starts so we can talk about how much Rondo improves in the playoffs. That's the latest narrative the Rondo-to-Dallas backers are spewing amirite? Let's see if Playoff Rondo (tm) can raise his ft% from an abysmal 25% to an average 70%.

17. MONON

MONON Member

Actually, at this point, you're both wrong. Dallas has neither flopped nor taken off. It's too early to tell. So why the bold type "I'm right, you're wrong" Tarzan yell (which reads more like Carol Burnett's than Johnny Weissmuller's)? Statements like that leads one to believe you are "dense and have no credibility", which I know you are neither.

18. what

what Member

I didn't like rondo before the trade to fit with the mavs and he's not shown me anything to disprove that.

Honestly, rondo hasn't been the same player he was in the celtics title run SINCE the celtics title run. Sure, he gets a ton of assists but people were clearly overvaluing him as a player.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Even in the Celtics run he wasn't known as a shooter and scorer

He could score over 10 points and still be able to come up with a triple double.

He had scorers and defenders around him.

Lowry over Conley, Rondo

20. VanityHalfBlack

We could probably use him when facing teams like Detroit ;)