1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boston Celtics and Dallas Mavericks agree on Rajon Rondo trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You have to take the on-court-off-court numbers in context. The player, his teammates on the court, his replacement, his replacement's teammates on the court, and the opponents when he is on and off the court, all contribute to the stats--NOT JUST THE PLAYER HIMSELF.

For example, look at this chart: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9445659&postcount=71

It makes no sense in a vacuum. The Pelicans defense is much better when both Davis and Asik are off the court than when one of them is there, but slightly worse than when both of them are on the court.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Mavs' D rating this season: 104.3, 18th in NBA

Mavs' D rating with Rajon Rondo on the floor: 93.7, which would rank No. 1</p>&mdash; Tim MacMahon (@espn_macmahon) <a href="https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/550686656677036032">January 1, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

small sample size. we'll see when they play the better teams

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Rondo's doing whats expected and winning games, great trade for mavs.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

Lol roslolian drinking water that haterade. Blame Rondo for the 0-2 start but when they get on a winning streak give the new player who is adjusting to the system no credit.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rondo on finding out about trade. &quot;I was actually asleep around 5pm and saw Danny Ainge pop up on my cell phone and I was like 'oh s***&quot;</p>&mdash; Brian Robb (@CelticsHub) <a href="https://twitter.com/CelticsHub/status/551066324987043840">January 2, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

29, 6 & 5 (against his former team) :eek:

But he's a cancer! :grin:

Who got the cancer and bad player?

#308 J.R., Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

And apparently the Rockets refuse to give up the NOP pick for him. I see their worries about the risk with Rondo's knee and his performance in Boston and all, but we better land somebody really good with that pick.

10. Victorious

Victorious Member

Bad trade for Dallas! It would ruin them.

Lol

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Early returns from holiday moves

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

Good trade unless
    - one of their starter is injured
    -He asked for a max to resign
    -Tyson or Ellis asking for a max.
    - one little negativity in the locker room and this team might collapse ( given the personality of is team filled with emotional players (Tyson,Eli's &Rondo).
    - rondo become fat and RC makes a headline lol

13. dontfaulkup28

dontfaulkup28 Member

First official post, but have been reading this forum for a while now.....I was curious if anyone really thinks the Mavs are as good as they have looked or if it is simply the competition they have been playing since the trade.

14. HardenHardon

HardenHardon Member

I had been lurking for quite a while, but when I stumbled across this thread, I just had to create a log-in. It's no wonder that people think Rockets fans are ignorant homers without a shred of intelligence about the NBA. You all need to quit making me look bad.

Ellis was never the Mavs' starting PG. Not last year. Not this year.

Monta does thrive with the ball in his hands, as does Rondo, so a valid concern for the Mavs, there. Let's go back to the first part of this statement, though.

Nelson was playing "great"? On what planet is 6.9 PPG, 4.4 APG, 35.8% FG, and a PER of 10.22 "great"? "Serviceable"? Perhaps. "Okay"? After a few drinks, maybe. "Great"? Get real.

Ellis has played SG since he got to Dallas and has had a resurgence in his career. Don't get hung up on being an inch or two shorter than your prototypical SG. Bringing Rondo in does nothing to change the position that Ellis has already been playing well in for the past season and a half.

A ton? The only player of substance the Mavs gave up is their back-up center that averaged less than 18 MPG. He was good for them in his role, no doubt, but the Mavs barely gave up a few pounds, let alone a "ton".

You can certainly make the case that Rondo will slow the offense down, but his style is anything but anti-analytic. The guy is EXTREMELY analytic on offense. Hence the reason he slows it down from time to time.

Mavs went from starting Jameer Nelson to starting Rajon Rondo. They will need to get someone more serviceable than Greg Smith to fill Wright's 18 minutes, and this doesn't guarantee a championship by any stretch, but only a fool would consider this move "terrible".

I just want everyone to see how dumb this is one more time. It'd be funny if it wasn't so damned tragically ignorant.

What is an "injuries Rondo"? Injury prone? Dude has been hurt seriously once.

They don't have Ray and Pierce, but they have Monta and Dirk. Dirk has proven time and time again that he can take over in the 4th and hit big shots when it counts. He was dominant in 4th quarters during that 2011 title run. He isn't the same guy now, but even a fraction of that guy is a solid clutch player. As for Ellis, he was leading the league in clutch points this season at one point. Haven't seen where he is at lately, but he has been money down the stretch.

I don't know how you can say that the Mavs don't have players that you can count on to hit open shots.

You sound like the guy that said Boston raped Dallas in that trade. Wait, ****, you ARE the same guy. Quit making us all look bad.

I'm seriously, seriously hoping this is in jest and not to be taken seriously at all. No one that has gone through life without getting a lobotomy would take Brandan Wright over Tyson Chandler.

I get that most of us are Rockets fans and don't watch the league as a whole, but damn if people don't sound crazy trying to act like they do. The Mavs are rolling the dice a little with this trade, but they had to do it to try and compete with teams like the Rockets. It greatly improved their upside and to act like they gave up the farm or that this trade made them decidedly worse is absolutely nuts. I still like the Rockets over the Mavs (last two weeks notwithstanding), but the Mavs certainly made a move to give them a chance.

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Dude, half of those comments you pulled are from what. He isn't even a fan of the rockets. If you're going to disrespect the fanbase at least gets some quotes from fans of the team.

1 person likes this.
  16. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Also don't cherry pick quotes and ignore folks that liked the trade.

17. HardenHardon

HardenHardon Member

Well, the other half weren't him. What is your point? Or are you saying that ALL of those people aren't fans of the team? If so, I'll be sure to hit you up for a running tally of who is and who isn't a fan.

:rolleyes:

I only selected the quotes of the people that I was addressing. Why would I quote someone else that I had no intention of addressing?

Besides, it has nothing to do with whether or not you like the trade (there are arguments against it that have merit). It has everything to do with what these folks are basing that argument on.

18. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

Yeah dude that guy is what is known on the internet as a troll. So you basically got trolled so hard you made an account.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

I admit I don't like Rondo, I generally don't like players who cause problems in the locker room and demand a max when (in my eyes) they don't deserve a max contract.

If I were a Dallas fan, up till today I still would not be a fan of the trade, to me it seems that Dallas is still beating bad teams but struggle against good team, which is what they were already doing prior to the trade. And I'm still a big fan of Brendan Wright, dude was a straight up baller for them and IMHO could have been their starting PF and an integral part of the team once Dirk retires/becomes a bench player. These wins are IMHO in DD's words "fool's gold", the Mavs aren't going anywhere with or without Rondo, and what happens next year? We all know Rondo feels like he deserves a max, and this "resurgence" or whatever you call it means there's a lot of pressure for the Mavs to retain him, after all they just gave up their bench, a pick and a good player who was beasting for him. So will Dallas end up paying the max to Rondo, and does this mean their big 2 will be Rondo and Parsons? If Rondo and Parsons are getting the max, obv Ellis will be asking for the max too. So in the next couple of years Dallas will be paying 3 max salaries to players who aren't superstars.

Like I said we'll see what happens, with no bench I'd like to see how the Mavs hold up by the time the season ends.

20. HardenHardon

HardenHardon Member

There were four other people quoted or are you just choosing to ignore that?

I'm guessing I can add you to the list, though.