1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Book-Readers Thread] GOT Season Five

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by shastarocket, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think they are

He has not been overly important yet

Rocket River

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

So much of the story has been omitted to this point. Aegean could be introduced at another point in the series similar to Jojen & Mera Reed, but at this point I'm not certain it will happen.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We never got confirmation of the real aegon's survival, maybe he's dead and serves no real purpose in the overall story.

If he is alive we will see him this season, if not we can assume GRRM had no real plans for him, just like a million other side plots in the last 2 books, and cutting him (like LS and most of the Greyjoys) will be easy.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed.
    His official claim is never verified.
    We don't know how he escaped do we?

Rocket River

5. malakas

malakas Member

Yes we do. They put another baby in his place. And the prince is important because all the little clues that the writer likes to sprinkle in the books are there. Remember the *dragon must have tgree heads*? Well ding ding ding . not to mention in winter winds he will be in the center of the plot from what we know so far. Even if all that is a huuuge distraction by the author,its a distraction that must be there.

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Did we talk at all about the fact that Tyrion referenced Thoros in E3 while watching the red priestess talk about Dany?

It could just be a throwaway, or maybe it could mean the brotherhood is involved in this season? I personally kinda like the idea of the Blackfish taking Lady Stoneheart's place.

7. dharocks

Why? Why must it be there? Particularly if he's a fraud?

They haven't even made mention of the dragon having three heads in the show.

8. malakas

malakas Member

Does it matter if it hasnt been mentioned Yet? (Btw its been some years since i read them but i think chronogically the dream should be mentioned when the old man is near his deathbed so in this season..?so still have time)
    Whether mentioned or not it is a very important part of the mythos of this cosmos. And even though the series may want to pretend to differientate from the books cosmos its in the end the same and a character as important will have to appear if they want to film winds of winters where from what we know young griff will be in the center of much of the plotlines. And besides it will be a huge letdown if the only other pureblood young targaryen fails to show!
    Ok now rockets!!!go :)

9. dharocks

I guess it all comes down to the individual's perspective & expectations. For me, I'm sure it doesn't hurt that I wasn't a big fan of the Griff/Young Griff storyline. Where the show is concerned, I always go back to the fact that, fundamentally, the story is a Song of Ice and Fire. I expect the TV series to conform to that, but that's pretty much the extent of my expectations at this point.

That said, I do think the Golden Company's invasion of Westeros IS pretty important, and I'd be surprised if it were scrapped completely.

10. Entropy

Entropy Member

There'd be no point without a Blackfyre/Targaryen to back. With Aegon being written out, cant see it happening. Be a bit deus ex machina if they came out of nowhere to support Dany too.

11. malakas

malakas Member

It will suck if this happens. And make no sense whatsoever. Not only the Golden Company part- even IF he is a fraud, he will play a major role in the future. Any character with the claims he makes, and already with the background set with the placed prophetic dreams would. He will also be the step on which Dorne will get more involved in the next book in the house wars from what we know from the leaked chapters.
    Are we CERTAIN that he is written off? I can't believe it.

12. Entropy

Entropy Member

Well they did kill off Barristan and give Griffs grayscale to Jorah. Signs point to yes.

13. malakas

malakas Member

ok without definite confirmation then I keep hope. They have many other ways to introduce him.
    I don't ask for him to be exactly the same as the books but completely write off is too much for such a character.imo. The important is that he still exists and he goes with an army to Westeros.
    I guess we will find out soon.

14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I see it as an issue with timing regarding the show. There's still 4 episodes so a lot can happen, but we haven't seen or heard anyone relevant to an Aegon plot yet. No talk of the Golden Company this season, no Blackfyre Rebellion history lesson, I don't even think the names of Rhaegar's kids were given in the show.

The dragon having 3 heads could mean anything metaphorical. There's just as many hints towards Aegon being fake too. I'm a fan of the storyline and hope he's a real Targ though.

15. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Also I hate how the Myrcella plot was done, but almost solely because I wanted to see how Darkstar would be relevant to the plot. Doran called him the most dangerous man in Dorne, and I'm itching to read why.

16. malakas

malakas Member

Sure it can be fake esp with Tyrion saying that prophecies are something that once you believe them kick u in the butt.
    But clues:
    Universe with only three dragons.(known)
    Three headed dragons prophetic dream of maester Aemon
    The original Targaryen invasion being done with three: one man and two relatives-wives.
    The fifth room in the House of Black and White when Rhaegar says a newborn Aegon's song is the song of ice and fire and that there must be one more because the dragons has three heads. He named his children after the original conquerors and he prob expected one more daughter to name Visenya.
    Martin himself has said that the three headed dragons need not to be Targaryens. Which insuniates that the three headed dragon prophecy is a real prophecy and not fake. And at the very least a central storyline/backbone of the cosmos.
    So whether Aegon impostor or real is a part of the hero trio or not as one of the strongest candidates to be included in this major plot , his importance to the story is undeniable.
    He is a MAJOR character.

btw I have to say this: as an innocent victim of Wheel of Time and Dune ,Martin should get his **** together because time is running and noone is immortal. I realised with this post that my memories of SOIAF have faded after so many godamn years.

17. Entropy

Entropy Member

With you on that. KJA and Brian Herbert **** on Frank's legacy with their followups to his series. Its like following up the sistine chapel with drunk graffiti art.

1 person likes this.
  18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I think a history lesson of the blackfyre rebellion and thus the golden company would translate terribly to TV.

I don't know about you guys, but I had to spend a few hours on the wiki to wrap by head around the subject

19. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

GRRM's hint that one of the three dragons need not be Targ opened up a lot more speculation that it could be Bran or Tyrion. It's a valid point that it could still be Aegon though.

It's just that if Aegon is fake and his true heritage isn't Targ, he's the mummer's dragon that Dany dreamt also in the house of the undying, and potentially one of the three betrayals that she's looking out for.

It's great stuff, but it's still very convoluted to try to come up with a stable storyline, even though we're at the point where most people have accepted something like R+L=J. For instance we're crediting Aemon with his declaring that Dany is the "prince that was promised" but we also see in Dany's visions Rhaegar calling Aegon the prince that was promised. Unless there will be 3 princes that were promised then one of them has to be wrong or misinterpreted.

20. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

With how much of the series has to do with history influencing the present, it's such a handicap that this show can't really do flashbacks. IMO the most realistic way would have Bloodraven as a storyteller, but his and Bran's storyline was already put in fastforward and caught up to ADWD. I'm pretty sure we aren't seeing them this season.