1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Book-Readers Thread] GOT Season Five

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by shastarocket, Apr 14, 2015.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You say the entire series as if she has been traveling with Pod for 4 seasons now. They only just joined up late last season. Everything before that I didn't think Brienne was appreciably different from her book character.

I get the sense like they are separating her marriage to Tommen a little bit though. Like they don't want that to happen right away but still want to launch into the whole sequence of the Sparrows gaining their military rights again. I'm not sure why they would do that but using Loras as the sparking point instead of Maegery makes sense.

And you say everyone already knows, but it will be Cersei's use of the church's indignation that is the primer for everything that comes. The septons might not know at all. We haven't seen very much of them to this point. Just the King's Landing folk who all have their own slew of sins to worry about.

2. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

will lancel replace the role of the kettleblack's?

3. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

In what way? He slept with Cersei, but he also slept with her in the books. Seems like his story is pretty much the same, except I'm not sure we'll see him admit to Jamie that he had an affair with Cersei.

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Speaking of which, I'd love to see this included in this season. In the books, Jaime was tormented by it and it had a detrimental affect on their relationship. As of now, TV Jaime has every reason to feel guilty (Tywin/Tyrion) but minimal reason to be upset at Cersei.

The Kingsmoot would be awesome too, but it seems like it would be fantastic to open next season with it.

I hope they don't scrap the trip down the Rhoyne and the encounter with the stone men.

5. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I don't think they'll have Lancel admit to Jamie their affair. The show decided to have Tyrion and Jamie part ways on good terms, instead of Tyrion telling Jamie that Cersei's done everyone in Kings Landing including Moon Boy.

The incest with Lancel is a component of her trial and probably the one thing the church can prove since Lancel's a sparrow.

6. Pete the Cheat

So the Mance seen left me believing he's been written out of the show.

Not sure how they plan on working the Winterfell scenes...but considering the attempted rescue scene they added and the lack of Greyjoy infusion this far I wonder if that whole storyline will be re-written

7. val_modus

val_modus Member

Any speculations as to why the red priestess stared at Tyrion in episode 3 of this season? Perhaps foreshadowing to a possible Tyrion-Lannister, or U guys think it's something else?

8. dmoneybangbang

Have you watched all the leaked episodes?

9. shastarocket

Just episode 2, but I'm not going to spoil it for you guys

10. dmoneybangbang

I was gonna answer your question if you had watched them all.

11. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I've watched the leaked episodes and read all of the books. I've seen a lot of people make bold predictions (mostly elsewhere) about future episodes that are correct--entirely too correct to be legitimate. I have seen book readers spoil this show and the Walking Dead, although it's usually through "inside jokes" that readers are too daft to know they are actually spoiling it. There's no fun in predicting, or reading predictions over an episode that has been leaked. You might as well read Breaking Bad finale predictions.

#31 bobloblaw, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  12. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Yeah I've decided I have to watch the leaked episodes now just so I won't be spoiled about the tv show in a spoilery book thread about that tv show based on a book.

13. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

In an attempt to make her more "bad ass" they removed her naivety, paranoia, and compassion, so she is more like a female version of the Hound. In the books she hasn't killed anyone before until the showdown with Shagwell the fool and the remaining Brave Companions. In the show she has killed Renly's guards, Stark men who recognized Jaime, and deliberately kills one slower to make the death more agonizing. She initiates the fight with the Hound that leads to his death. In the books she is completely dedicated to finding Sansa and never gives up. She just gets seriously injured and captured by Lady Stoneheart before she can succeed. She also is willing to pledge to kill Jaime in order to save herself and more importantly Pod from hanging after spending roughly the same amount of time together as she has on the show. Since leaving Jaime, and abandoning the book material for completely made up material, the only thing the same is her searching for Catelyn's daughters and she seems ready to give up on that already as one rolls past her :rolleyes:

The show might do something this dumb, but it makes little sense that this would be Cersei's plan as it would do nothing to remove Margaery as queen or future queen. You can argue that it is to remove the threat of having to marry Loras, but after Tywin dies, book_Cersei certainly would not have honored that commitment anyway if it had ever happened.

14. Faust

Faust Member

i asked this in the other thread but putting here too in case y'all dont read that.

can someone who read the books or know about the show explain the conversation between two characters about the way they want to die? is this a four shadow?

jamey lanister is my favorite. including tyrion he's not an asdhole like the rest of his family. but he wants to die in the arms of the woman he loves? are he and cersei going to be killed by the other groups soon? b.c i will be really sad. seems all the decent ones like ned stark and robb get killed.

15. shastarocket

Alright, I guess I'll watch the other episodes.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Must have forgotten Jamey in the early episodes . . .. he was the total Douche and an Ass. [Look what he did to Bran]
    No where close to Ned and Robb

They were both still alive in the last book I read . .. which was the last one. . . .

Rocket River

17. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

We need two more threads. One for people that haven't read the books but have watched the leaked episodes, and one for people that have read the books and watched the leaked episodes.

18. shastarocket

^ That's ludicrous

Also I finished watching the episodes last night. I'll post my thoughts later, but for now:

WTF

19. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

her plot to kill robert, her children
    if you remember she used the kettleblacks to try and get margery out of her role and the kettleblacks spilled the beans to the high septon and that's when the sparrows gained more power, that is what led to her walk of shame

to answer my own question about the three events i am most looking forward to

1. cersei tryin to put kevan lannister in her place
    2. arya learning how to become an assassin
    3. lord manderly's the north remembers speech to davos about the stark's

but who knows if any of those things happen, i remember reading when davos became the hand, it seemed very dramatic, but in the show it was just kind of a side note

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think we once saw Tywin's brother .. . . . .. but he was completely marginalized out.
    Tywin's sister gives a good speech to Jamey . . i doubt that will happen

Rocket River