1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bonzi/VSpan update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tiger0330, Jun 2, 2007.

1. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

From the Chron - No final word on the two but their lack of committment says to me they want out more than they want in. Bonzi really wants to make more money and VSpan wants to be a big fish in a small pond rather than ride the pine in Houston.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4856138.html

Wells' future with Rockets uncertain
    Decision to play under contract or test free agency remains in question

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Bill Duffy, the agent for guard Bonzi Wells, told Rockets general manager Daryl Morey on Friday that although Wells would like to return to the Rockets next season, he had not decided whether to play under his current contract or to exercise his option to opt out and become a free agent.

"There's still no answer," Morey said. "We thought he was a good fit and he is still a fit. If he opts in, that's good, but he still has to make that decision."

Wells has $2.84 million remaining on his two-year contract with the Rockets.

Morey said forward Chuck Hayes, who will be a free agent and is also represented by Duffy, hopes to return to the Rockets.

Guard Vassilis Spanoulis is less certain, though Morey said he and coach Rick Adelman have made it clear Spanoulis is a part of their plans for the team.

"We're getting mixed signals," Morey said. "Coach Adelman had a direct conversation with him. We want him. We think he would be a great fit for coach Adelman."

Morey said Spanoulis' ambivalence about returning is more cultural than professional, after his first six months living in the United States.

With two more seasons remaining on his three-year, $5 million contract, Spanoulis could not play for another FIBA member team, which includes teams in the Greek league, unless released from his Rockets' contract.

2. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I never thought Bonz will be back. Wasn't Houston just supposed to be a contract year for him from the beginning anyways so he can test the FA this summer? And we're just supposed to tag along for the ride. Sorta like a hit it and quit it, for him. Yet he failed like nobody I have seen fail before.

I STILL don't see why people are sitting there, hoping Bonz will come back. Some people just need to see their plans fail before they realize it as a failure. It's just that... Bonz has already failed this season with us. OPEN YOUR EYES! It doesn't matter how good of a coach is at helm if the players are stubborn, it's not gonna happen. We've seen what Bonz can do with the Sac, yes.. but damnit that Bonzi might not ever show up anymore.

As for V (side note: I watched V for Vendetta again today and it reminded me of Vspan), I thought he would come back next season. If he bails, I will forever lose all respect I have for him, which isn't that much to begin with because he hasn't shown anything. Blame JVG for that, maybe? Whatever.

I personally think it's a sad situation for this team if we have to rely on such "potentials." At least if we really are on that 'win now' situation, still.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

billy can be a real contributor for adleman. they was he's able to slash to the hoop and create plays wil lreally be valued.

bonzi will also be able to be a real contributor. why was bonzi more effective in sacramento than anywhere else he's ever played? adleman. he knows how to play a guy to his strengths. bonzi creates a real matchup problem for the other team.

i understand why people don't want bonzi back. but think about it for a second. if he comes back it's for $2M left on his deal. very low risk, high reward once again.

also, not a lot of people liked the battier trade at first. you can't go wrong when you add talent to the team. this summer there is a chance to trade him for lewis or wilcox. maybe bonzi comes back... playes pretty well...and becomes trade bait at the deadline for something better.

once again, it's allways a good idea to add talent. i hope billy and bonzi both stay.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Chuck hopes to return?

Do Rockets hope to re-sign him? What does this mean?

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

chuck hopes to return while bonzi and billy are undecided.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Bonzi could leave the Rockets and maybe get a mid level exception somewhere. Or he could stay, get into shape, have a strong year and playoffs, and then get significant contract offers. Hopefully he sees that.

7. Barkley

Barkley Member

I just hope Bonzi and Hayes will Stay here. I know Hayes will but Bonzi isn't sure yet. Rockets organization said that they want Bonzi back. Bonzi said he wants to play here too. Now the only problem are money :rolleyes: Hopefully he'll play here cause he can really help us and he knows Adelman well.

VSpan could stay if he could help us.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Technically couldn't another team sign and trade him to us for Sura and next years 1st rounder?

9. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Please stay bonzi and vspan, but if either left I would understand, cause the rockets or I should say JVG, screwed both royally.

10. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

i have seen bonzi worked under adelman. who's our new coach => adelman.

JVG has failed with many players so it wasn't suprising. JVG is gone.

11. Barkley

Barkley Member

JVG didn't have good relationships with Adelman and Bonzi but it looks like Adelman will have. He knows Bonzi well

12. bjshot

bjshot Member

I think Bonzi might be back because no team will give him a contract after what happened this year.

13. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

i don't think that's a good argument. when it's about the money then opting out of his contract is a win-win situation. the rockets owe him one year and 2.8 mio $. that type of a contract is the minimum what at least 10 teams will offer him the day he opts out. if he's a little lucky and sells himself well he probably could even get up to the mle for multiple years.

imho bonzi uses the rockets like mike james did last year (the situation was different, though). i'm 100 % sure he will opt out and leave the team. and i'm pretty happy about it. :)

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

That's exactly what we were saying last year when he first signed with us.

15. Astockmarketgod

we wanted him back...for the teams sake....

not because most of us like the guy...

or even think he is all that...

he is a good player... if you only consider, what he did in the playoffs last year...

its a sad sad team... when your third scoring option happens to be a fat lazy head case...

16. mcm1150

mcm1150 Member

If the Rockets release Vspan and he signs with European team. Does his contract count against our salary cap?

17. BallBoy

BallBoy Member

I don't understand Bonzi's situation at all. When he quit at the end of last season, did he still get paid for the reminder of the season? Was his contract become void? Apparently not. Confused. Will somebody explain?

18. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

His contract is still there. It's not like he literally quit the team and is eligible to sign on another. He was still on contract, just didn't wanna play. More reason for this team to NOT bring him back.

Plus those 2 somewhat mils isn't really much in NBA terms anyways. It's like pocket change. Won't effect the team much at all.

19. BallBoy

BallBoy Member

[
    Thank you.

20. ham

ham Member

So if we want to re-sign Chuck Hayes, does that count against our MLE/LLE?