1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bonzi on the opening day active Roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by qzf2qk, Oct 30, 2006.

1. qzf2qk

qzf2qk Member

http://www.nba.com/news/rosters_061030.html

NEW YORK, October 30, 2006 – Following are the opening day rosters for the 2006-07 NBA regular season.

HOUSTON
    Alston, Rafer
    Battier, Shane
    Hayes, Chuck
    Head, Luther
    Howard, Juwan
    McGrady, Tracy
    Mutombo, Dikembe
    Novak, Steve
    Snyder, Kirk
    Spanoulis, Vassilis
    Wells, Bonzi
    Yao Ming
    INACTIVE LIST
    Lucas, John
    Padgett, Scott
    Sura, Bob

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I know why they left in Juwan and cut out Padgett, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

3. docgundy

docgundy Member

Well that's good news.

Looks like JVG may give VSPan more of a chance after all.

4. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

John Lucas III is already in JVG's doghouse? Sigh......I liked him really much at the Summer League. Guess he'll have to take a shouting from his dad too then........

5. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Man, I can't wait til Wed.... Go Rockets!!!!!

6. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

woah? bonzi ready to roll? :eek:

7. Rollazn

Rollazn Member

Bonzi better get some minutes. We know he won't be starting but he better be the first one off the bench. lol

I want to see the chemistry how Bonzi, Tmac, and Yao work together.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

I don't think so. To get off the inactive list he hust needs to beat out Bill. No point in having 4 PGs on the bench and not at the expense of size.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Unless injuries bite, it's hard to see JL3 getting on the active roster.

10. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Not that he'll get any PT, but I am really surprised to see VSpan on the active list over Padge...I thought he might get a few minutes a game. Hopefully at some point in the season I hope he gets to play. One of my favorite memories from the past couple of years was the game he went off for a career high against the Kings. Even though Sacramento ended up winning in overtime, it was fun to watch a guy that doesn't score a whole lot go off like that. You could tell he was enjoying himself out there.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think JVG sees the potential in V-Span as we all do and probably wants to get him SOME time in games....just a few minutes, and if he is doing well, then maybe a few more....but when he messes up.....CPT hook baby !!

DD

12. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I hope we finally see Bonzi actually on the floor. Does anyone else get tired of those ESPN Monday night football commercials? Well it's 2 days (soon to be 1 day) until the Rockets season starts and I can't wait!

13. arbpro

arbpro Member

From the beginning of camp it was either Pad or Hayes. One was not going to not be on the 12 man roster. And it was Billy or JL. One was not going to be on the 12 man roster. I think we will see Pad, just too much experience.

14. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

When he messes up, we'll see a replay of JVG's death stare.

15. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Bonzi is notorious for not playing in the pre season, but turning it on when it matters. Aside from being a gamer and just wanting to win, he has a lot to prove because his contract is really lame. I think he'll contribute right away. We need his rebounding and size and intensity on defense. He and Snyder are perfect fits on this team....I would have loved Roy, but Bonzi isn't a bad backup plan. He knows the pro game and he can contribute in so many ways. Finally we have guys who can get to the line ;)

16. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I think Juwan will give us solid minutes off the bench. Remember he won't be starting or playing alot of minutes so I expect him to give us a little more when hes in there.

17. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Don't think there was any doubt about bonzi being on the active list. JVG wouldn't have gone to all the trouble to recruit him in the summer if he didn't plan to play him. The whole situation got overblown. JVG's comments on the situation about bonzi not being ready is just a coverup, so that expectations are lowered for him to start out and people don't start ripping on him if he performs bad to start.

Padgett being out makes sense cause Novak shoots better than him and you're never going to have both padgett and novak on the court at the same time, so having them both is redundant.

18. wafna

wafna Contributing Member

I'd bet Padget and LJ3 are pretty happy just to be getting a paycheck.

Also, the IL is game-to-game, so it doesn't mean so much.

#18 wafna, Oct 30, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  19. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I have a feeling Snyder is going to either not be playing long minutes or be replaced by Wells on the starting lineup soon. Snyder didn't really play that well in the preseason. If not for Wells' unreadiness or Head's unexpected personal leave, JVG probably would have Snyder come off the bench. The final spot of the starting five was kind of decided hesitantly at the last minute. Of course once the season opens, Snyder will have more chance to fight for his role and minutes. Things can get interesting if Wells gets off to a quick start.

20. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Just my opinion but Bonzi's game is more suited to just "be thrown in there" than anyone's. Team play is not his strength, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he can create his own shot, defend well and I think he knows that has to shoot to be completely effective. His passing, well... he could surprise us.

Given JVG's comments about Wells' current fitness it does surprise me he's active for the first game though. But I'm glad.