1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bonds, Arod, and sosa, prove that the Homerun is overrated

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by JBIIRockets, May 25, 2001.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Too much emphasis is placed on the home run. Last time I checked, the Rangers suck as a team, the Cubs suck, and the Giants went 1-5 on Bonds six game homer streak. But yet, fans marvel at his accomplishments? His lost five of six.

Look at the Yanks. Derek Jeter isn't known as a HR hitter, neither is Paul O'Neill, Williams ONLY hits like 30 bombs a year. Knoblauch isn't a homerun hitter. AND THEY STOCKPILE RINGS!!

When McGwire had his big homerun years, the Cardinals sucked! When Junior Griffey hit his homeruns, the M's sucked most of the time, and when they did get to the playoffs, they did not get to the big dance.

Look what the M's have done without Homerun hitters. They have the best record in baseball, with solid pitching

And finally the Astros, Where have Bagwell's homeruns gotten us. Three playoff first round exits, thats where. Where did Doggy's 40+ homeruns get us last year. 72-90!

And I end with this, (and I sure you will think I'm bulls**t). If the Astros trade Bagwell and Hidalgo for pitchers, they become this year's Seattle Mariners or the Yanks.

------------------
    You can put it on the BOARD.......YESSSSSSSSS!
    Chicago White Sox Announcer Ken Harrelson

2. haven

haven Member

OPS is what matters for a hitter.

The Giants had some bad luck, and in baseball, one hitter really doesn't affect any individual game THAT much. Bonds has been amazingly productive this year - he's slugging in the .900's. I call that fantastic.

The Yankees... well, the Yankees have been overachieving so far this year. A great deal of their success, though, has to do with pitching. Jeter really isn't as good as A-Rod, Nomar, Bonds, Ramirez, etc... it's just that the Yankees are solid 1-9, and have great pitching.

It's easy to say a player's great because his team's winning... but you have to look at his teammates as well. Sosa, for example... the Cubs have who else?
    ------------------
    A few years back on the Senate floor...
    Phil Gramm: "If Democrats could, they'd tax the air we breathe."
    Ted Kennedy (jumping up): "By God, why didn't I think of that sooner!"

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

[This message has been edited by haven (edited May 25, 2001).]

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Man too bad guys like Ruth and Gherig and Mantle and Maris and Reggie Jackson didn't have the benefit of your wisdom, JBII. If only that Oakland team of 89/90 had known that it would have been better off without McGwire and Canseco.

A recent run of teams dominated by great pitching doesn't mean that there is no other way to win the series. Last time I checked, baseball involved both hitting and pitching, in equal amounts.

------------------
    Bingbong was set up, led to an untimely death in the prime of his life for no other reason than pure malice. Things like that do not go unavenged. Sometimes it spills out onto the field of play.

4. Timing

Timing Member

The Yankees stockpile rings with the highest payroll in baseball, a shrewd GM, and an excellent field manager. It has nothing to do with them not having big home run hitters. In fact they always acquire sluggers to juice their lineup towards the end of the year. Glenallen Hill, David Justice, and Jose Canseco were all picked up for that purpose. Without the production of David Justice last year they might not have even made the playoffs.

------------------
    The ox is slow but the Earth is patient.

5. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Pitching still wins in baseball, but the long-ball helps sell tickets.
    I agree Hrs are sometimes overrated but watching Bonds homer everyday for a week is still fun to see!
    How about my Padres (I've followed them since they got Garvey in the mid 80's)! I better get that out now, cause I feel pretty sure Klesko won't be able to stay hot and carry them very much longer!

6. haven

haven Member

4chuckie:

If pitching mattered significantly more than hitting, the Braves would have more than 1 championship.

Look through Rob Neyer's archives on espn.com. He did some pretty good analysis as to why that's a myth.

------------------
    A few years back on the Senate floor...
    Phil Gramm: "If Democrats could, they'd tax the air we breathe."
    Ted Kennedy (jumping up): "By God, why didn't I think of that sooner!"

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001