1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bon Jovi is still huge

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheFreak, Dec 6, 2007.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I happened to be on Pollstar and noticed that Bon Jovi was ranked as the #2 tour currently, even ahead of Van Halen. I decided to check the itinerary - I see they have strings of multiple nights in the same arena. For example, in Chicago they're playing 3 consecutive shows at the United Center. How are they doing this? That is unreal. I assume the demand is there or they wouldn't be doing it.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Their new country style of album did really well, and they have an entirely new fan base to add to their original one.

And chicks dig John.

DD

3. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I don't like their new country style as much but I"m still a big fan of their 80's stuff. That was the schizznitte!

I used to love Bon Jovi and Ritchie Sambora's acoustic duets. I wish I could be like that.

4. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Like the new album "Lost Highway", it has its moments. Their best this decade is still "Have a Nice Day".

It's hard to listen to Jon nowadays, his voice is shot.

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Because 20 year old Bon Jovi songs still kick the crap out of 95% of music produced today. Plus, Fox dedicated an entire episode of American Idol to Bon Jovi, so they're attracting new fans as well as their older fans.

Damn, I never thought I'd say "20 year old Bon Jovi song"...

6. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Boy have time flown by quickly. I feel like Bon Jovi just came out yesterday. Why is it that Bon Jovi still feels like they were just here yesterday and Ace of Base came out 30 years ago?

7. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

"Bon Jovi is still huge"

....That's what she said! ;)

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Because, the hair....never....dies...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TFro05ieV5c&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TFro05ieV5c&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I was bicycling around NYC in 2006, and I saw Jon Bon Jovi get out of a Suburban with a bag of golf clubs. He was going to some indoor practice range or something.

I shouted, "Hey Jon!" and he replied, "Hey you!" and smiled. He seemed like a nice guy.

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I prefer the #1 tour myself, and I'm getting my ticket on Saturday. Bruce writes songs. Bon Jovi writes gay girly crap. :D

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Well although American Idol certainly wouldn't hurt, if they were on that show it would've had to have been almost a year ago now. Also I don't know if Chicago, California, etc. are hot-beds of country music enthusiasts (although I'm sure those fans are all over). What they're doing right now is impressive. Going to concerts isn't as big of a deal anymore, yet they're able to fill up arenas multiple nights in a row in the same cities. That kind of territory is usually reserved for your Rolling Stones, U2s, etc.

12. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I'd say concert going is still a pretty big deal.

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I didnt bother to ask my 15 yr old why she likes Bon Jovi, I didnt get her into them, tho I dont hate em or anything, I like maybe 4 or 5 of their songs after the first album (Runaway ftw btw)

but anyway

my youngest and her entire circle of friends love JBJ....and he still has all the mommas that lusted after him back in the day still loving him

women drive the music business....stay popular with the ladies, and you will tour forever

14. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I would say part of the appeal of Bon Jovi is probably that their older songs have stood up fairly well over time and people actually want to hear their new music. With so many older bands, their new music is largely irrelevant. Sure, it might be better than most stuff, but it doesn't get played on the radio like their old songs, etc. I'm not a huge Bon Jovi fan, but I think it's pretty cool that there's still a band you can go see where you get to hear their classics from twenty years ago and songs that have been big hits within the past several years.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't hate Bon Jovi like I did in high school. I really respect a band that can stay together that long while only replacing one member (I think the original bass player sucked, so they canned him). Their music is still relevant and I respect that.

They're sort of like the hairband version of U2.

I do think that Richie Sambora is possibly one of the most over-rated guitarists ever. Just because you (used to) dress like SRV doesn't mean you can play like him. Something about that "sultan of swing" guitar strap he used really bothered me.

I do like how he and Jon's voices mesh together when he sings backup vocals. That may be his best contribution. And I really liked the 'unplugged' stuff they did. He and Jon have a great song-writing chemistry.

Oh, and while I didn't really dig their country album, I do respect the hell out of them for making it. That takes balls. They could make just as much money touring around the country singing Dead or Alive for the next 20 years, but they chose to do something different.

#15 ima_drummer2k, Dec 7, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  16. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

his Unplugged special that's always on MOJO is awesome. having leanne rimes on it doesn't hurt either. but it sure was awkward having them stare into each other eyes since she still looks like a teenager.

17. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

I admit, I'm a huge JBJ fan and I have been for nearly 20 years now. I've seen them twice in concert and the one I went to in Detroit was awesome! I think another appeal of them along with everyone else said is that they've stayed out of trouble for 20+ years and these days, that seems hard to do when you're a celebrity. I think the biggest tabloid flurry was when Richie and Heather split.

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It's surprising to me. I remember about 7 or 8 years ago....Bon Jovi played downtown Fort Worth at Sundance Square. It was pretty ridiculous as there were probably only a few hundred people there with the first few rows being young girls and the rest of the people seemed like they were suits on their lunch break just checking it out (like me). They definitely went through a lull period back then and appeared to be clamoring for any gig they could get. But, they came back stronger I guess.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

20. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I think it is a combination of things which several people have touched on in this thread:

1) Jon Bon Jovi still has the sex appeal to attract many, many female fans

2) Their older stuff has held up remarkably well and are very good songs

3) They have shown a willingness to experiment and do things differently

4) Their quality of songwriting is better than your average "hair" band

5) There is still a great chemistry between Jon and Richie Sambora

Most bands fall apart because of ego problems or the quality of their songs go to pot. That doesn't look that has happened to Bon Jovi