1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bomani Jones's Take on Donald Sterling

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by platypus, Apr 29, 2014.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

http://deadspin.com/exclusive-the-extended-donald-sterling-tape-1568291249

2. rudan

rudan Member

Kareem is randomly the voice of reason, All his points are spot on.

3. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Are you insinuating that he is a fraud because he doesn't live in a poor neighborhood? Whats wrong with making money and moving to a nice neighborhood? If he was a fraud he wouldn't continue to report and fight for his beliefs, which he does. That definitely was the best take I've heard of the Sterling situation.

1 person likes this.
  4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

That's the biggest punishment the NBA can possibly give...

What else did you expect them to do, exactly?

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

You miss the point. The point isn't that he's a racist. He most certainly is. But what he says to his girlfriend in private shouldn't rile so many people. It's what he does in public, It's the not allowing blacks to rent in his apartments, to not higher minorities in positions they qualify for unless he can make a profit on them.

What he said to that girl didn't harm anyone except her. And she was accepted it. Don't waste energy on that. I got much more racism as a mexican growing up. My dad got treated very bad by the Houston police. I have seen and heard much worse. What he said to that girl was more about what others thought about his girl with Magic.

I think Jones reacted exactly the way we should. You should have been mad about what he did long ago and not this bs stuff. I think it is funny he is okay if she f#@!s magic but just don't stand next to him on Instagram. That's stupid hilarious but it shows you his mentality. he is more worried about what his racist white friends think then what she does. That's an old man stuck in some old views that is really not as bad as some.

It's never gonna be a perfect world and there will always be hate and stupidity. Sterling has just been outed for getting caught. But the stuff he did in the past that was public was much worse. That's was the time to stand up and shout.

6. Panda23

Panda23 Member

jesus christ are some of you actually missing Bomanis point?????

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

If you read the stuff on hate forums or experienced what some have, the recording is almost nothing. At this point, I put Sterling above the 60% of White Americans I run into on a daily basis. He's definitely not as racist as them.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

You work at a gun store or something? Fish and tackle unlimited? The VA Hospital Gift Shop? What White Americans are you running into on a daily basis that are more racist than Donald Sterling. The most racist thing most white people are doing is trying to run and hide into their suburbs.

9. Brutaldiego88

Brutaldiego88 Member

I hate what sterling stands for but how is this different from Chris Paul saying he wanted to be coached by a black coach?

10. Old Man Rock

Did he ever tell his white coach not to post pictures on Instagram with Larry Bird. It's a little bit different. :eek: Still over reation by the NBA

11. makio9

makio9 Member

I believe that it is the outcry that determines the penalty. You didn't see this outcry previously

12. Old Man Rock

That's kind of Jones point. Segregation of America. The moving of white America to the suburbs and their tax dollars hurts blacks more than anything. But what does one do. The truth is no matter what your ethnicity no one wants to live off MLK or in the barrios.

13. MarioElie17

MarioElie17 Member

JJ Reddick should feel the worse out of this situation. Sterling said he didn't want him because he was white. Where is his parade?

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Walmart or Target employees. All kinds of people hold attitudes they say out loud in pubic around here.

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

You can't presume what other people experience. Makes you sound like an idiot.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And you can't assume that only white people are racist. Just because it's not towards a minority doesn't mean it isn't racism.

17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Lots of chest thumping 'I'm not racist and you are' grandstanding. Lots of words little substance.

Im not insinuating anything. I am stating outright the guy is a fraud.

And yes part of that is because he probably doesn't live in the hood yet he wastes no time bringing up white people rant? He said 'white people' several different times in his rant looking to generalize and place blame on white people in a 'racist' conversation no less. Unbelievable the hypocrisy of this guy.

How is that any different than what Sterling says when he classifies white people?

he wants to raise his 'street cred' by going on about a friend in chicago like that somehow shows that he is 'doing something' and keeping it real?

he states and I am paraphrasing 'the people that have money aren't going to do anything about it, drive past these bad neighborhoods and ignore it'

my question is how is he any different? What is he doing? Likely living in brentwood probably goes weeks without seeing a black guy yet it's 'white peoples' fault and white people 'apartheid'? are you f-ing kidding me? Do you see him trying to do something except rant about white people?

Come on. What a joke.

18. ryebread

ryebread Member

I don't think this is a fair statement. There are plenty of men his age who served in wars overseas and came back with an appreciation of different cultures and people

19. wompwomp

wompwomp Member

I get what you are saying and I dont know bomani like that but this is some crabs in a barrel type ish. As a journalist, he talked about the this issue 6 years ago when noone else was or does that not qualify as "doing something". And come on, hes a black dude. In america, thats perceived as automatic street cred unless you speak too well.

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Most definately. I was only saying the NBA didn't care before because it wasn't a threat to their bottom line. Now it is.