1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

bolton's tell-all book...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jun 17, 2020.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Like or don't like Bolton, the book will do damage to Trump... The last thing he can afford is more negativity and losing any votes.

T_Man

Reeko, deb4rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Lol !!
    2/10 for him being slightly funny ...in a short period the dude went from pretending to have a take to not even trying..that was a funny flameout

[​IMG]

mikol13, TheFreak, jiggyfly and 5 others like this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Maybe not. The current set of Trump voters, what is left of them, will not be swayed. TDS at its finest.

4. T_Man

I agree Trump's die hard base will not be swayed by anything...

But the problem is with all of the Independents that voted for him... He can't afford to lose any votes, because it's not like he's gaining any...

T_Man

jiggyfly, Reeko, No Worries and 2 others like this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lol, is there anybody who is in the "like Bolton" group?

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So to tell you the truth on this Trumps campaign actually has reportedly invested an insane amount of money in micro targeting people in key areas that fit the profile of a Trump voter who are NOT registered voters going all the way back to 2017. I don’t know how successful they have been, and the polling isn’t granular enough to show it in those key states, but he does have a war chest of assets to turn out new voters who didn’t vote in 2016 but look a heck of a lot like a Trump voter.

All that is to say that it should be a shock to no one that turnout with Trumps base will be huge, and he might actually increase his overall vote total from 2016 slightly if they are successful.

However if 2018 and the primaries are any indication, Dem turnout will be through the roof in a way that even turning out more angry old white guys won’t be enough. This is why they’ve strategized and banked so much on voter suppression and rigging through polling location issues like sending broken machines and closing as many locations as they can. They know it’s all about suppression of Dem turnout cause the votes are all there to blow Trump out of the water.

Bolton book or not, but from what I’ve heard though, the Mary Trump bio might be much more damaging. One would also hope that there is more October surprise op o that might be held back until the Fall. Unsure if the Supreme Court is going to rule on Congresses ability to get Trump financials in the next week or two before they recess but that’s also a big one. If Congress or the state of NY find out what we all believe is true about his financial relationships with foreign governments is true, there’s just no way they can withhold that from the voters. That could have a much greater impact that Trump acting like a self interested a-hole with foreign dictators.

#86 dobro1229, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Regardless of what you think about john bolton, and trust me, I am a huge bolton critic, between donald trump and bolton, only one has proven out to be a habitual, pathological liar. Add in that many others have accused trump of doing what bolton is now accusing him of doing. Add in trump's past narcissist behavior makes what bolton is accusing him of doing even more believable. The only thing important to trump is trump. If it doesn't personally benefit trump, he isn't interested. We already knew trump acted to get the ukrainian president to get help in his re-election. We have seen trump's actions re: china, north korea, saudi arabia, and north korea. bolton's story isn't that much out of line with what we already know.

trump made a huge effort to get bolton into his admin, partly be cause bolton's predecessor was a principled man that immediate conflicted with trump. bolton shared trump's overwhelming "America First" mentality and immediately started work on getting America out of treaties (a trump priority). bolton was/is a dick, very unlikable and unpleasant, also just like trump.

That said, I don't think you will hear much about bolton's intelligence nor his honesty. And you can't say that about trump.

Rashmon, AroundTheWorld, Nook and 3 others like this.
  8. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I like how you came here and didn't acknowledge a single thing Bolton stated about Trump...that's some real TDS right there. :rolleyes:

mikol13, Reeko, Nook and 2 others like this.
  9. CCorn

CCorn Member

There’s a sizable portion of trumps base that’s illiterate. This book won’t sway them at all.

Reeko, mdrowe00 and RayRay10 like this.
  10. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...here-here...
    [​IMG]

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/17/books/review-room-where-it-happened-john-bolton-memoir.html

excerpts:

Known as a fastidious note taker, Bolton has filled this book’s nearly 500 pages with minute and often extraneous details, including the time and length of routine meetings and even, at one point, a nap. Underneath it all courses a festering obsession with his enemies, both abroad (Iran, North Korea) and at home (the media, “the High-Minded,” the former defense secretary Jim Mattis). The book is bloated with self-importance, even though what it mostly recounts is Bolton not being able to accomplish very much. It toggles between two discordant registers: exceedingly tedious and slightly unhinged. . . .

When it comes to Bolton’s comments on impeachment, the clotted prose, the garbled argument and the sanctimonious defensiveness would seem to indicate some sort of ambivalence on his part — a feeling that he doesn’t seem to have very often. Or maybe it merely reflects an uncomfortable realization that he’s stuck between two incompatible impulses: the desire to appear as courageous as those civil servants who bravely risked their careers to testify before the House; and the desire to appease his fellow Republicans, on whom his own fastidiously managed career most certainly depends. It’s a strange experience reading a book that begins with repeated salvos about “the intellectually lazy” by an author who refuses to think through anything very hard himself.​

Nook, RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

#92 J.R., Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  13. T_Man

T_Man

mdrowe00, RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Never trust a man with a facial hair style from the 1970's.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

After reading articles about the 'biggest scandals' revealed in the book, I'm pretty unimpressed to be honest. Sure, they're all scandalous in various ways, but they seem to be various angles of Trump being Trump. Which is not to excuse Trump for being Trump. Each story is still a scandal. But, while I may not have known that Trump did some specific thing, I did know by now that he must have done something like what Bolton describes. He told Xi his concentration camps were the right thing to do? Didn't know that specifically, but I did know he was sucking up to Xi. I didn't know there was a particular day that Trump said he would follow through on pulling out of Nato, but I did know that he wanted to do it and said so in public. Bolton's book might be useful for historians to illustrate their analysis with particular events, but I don't think its very revelatory for the political decisions that are immediately before us. Those with eyes to see, see.

fchowd0311, RayRay10 and JumpMan like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

AroundTheWorld, Blatz and RayRay10 like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

I give Trump credit for not going to war in the first three years of his term.

However, I cannot support a man that has such poor judgment as to surround himself with so mant scoundrels like President Trump has.

The President clearly lacks the moral compass and judgment of character than Donald Trump lacks.

Simply look at the list of terrible people the President has surrounded himself with, and what those people have said about him at a later date.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

bingo. So whats the point of testifying..might as well score some dough like the other 'swamp drainers'

Thats my favorite is the hypocrisy through this ..trump only after his self interest throughout as well. All a den of snakes best people. This is a lesson in enablement, selling soul and self interest to hitch a ride. Repugs are part of it ..romney the light lol

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"John Bolton Is Still Mad That Donald Trump Wouldn't Let Him Bomb Iran":

https://reason.com/2020/06/18/john-bolton-is-still-mad-that-donald-trump-wouldnt-let-him-bomb-iran/

excerpt:

Having wrongly claimed that Iraq was in possession of weapons of mass destruction, former Pentagon official and national security advisor John Bolton knows a thing or two about big mistakes. Had he expressed any regret about advancing the lie that led America to invade Iraq, he might be considered a pretty good judge of when a White House is dangerously out of control—and that's the case Bolton attempts to make in a tell-all book of his time as President Donald Trump's national security advisor, In The Room Where It Happened.

Yet the incident Bolton singles out as "the most irrational thing I ever witnessed any President do," according to The New York Times' review of his book, has nothing to do with Trump asking foreign leaders for political help or cozying up to dictators. No, the worst thing Bolton witnessed Trump do is decide not to start a war with Iran.

"The moment he cites as the real 'turning point' for him in the administration had to do with an attack on Iran that, to Bolton's abject disappointment, didn't happen," writes Jennifer Szalai in the Times' review of the book. "In June 2019, Iran had shot down an unmanned American drone, and Bolton, who has always championed what he proudly calls 'disproportionate response,' pushed Trump to approve a series of military strikes in retaliation. You can sense Bolton's excitement when he describes going home 'at about 5:30' for a change of clothes because he expected to be at the White House 'all night.' It's therefore an awful shock when Trump decided to call off the strikes at the very last minute, after learning they would kill as many as 150 people."

Bolton was plotting to start a war with Iran even before American troops hit the ground in Iraq. Trump may not deserve much praise for his foreign policy, but at least he resisted the urge to slaughter more innocent people in another Bolton-backed war.
    more at the link

AroundTheWorld and RayRay10 like this.
  20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

DT didn't disappoint later on with the bombing of Iran's general. It also didn't lead to war. Bolton is known as a war hawk, but you can't said he want war simply because he want to retaliate. Reasoning fail.

RayRay10 likes this.