1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

boki's upside?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by buiyahkah, Apr 27, 2004.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Peja and Dirk comparisons... Hey?

you guys are the "the glass is half full" type.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

We've seen way too little of Boki to know his true potential. Given what I've seen, Boki could very well be a set 3-pt shooter who'll occasionally drive to the basket. Which would make him an excellent role player, especially for our offense. What I don't know is how well he can catch and shoot, ala Dirk or Peja. Or whether he has any post-up skills. Right now I'm thinking Turkoglu/Ginobili. But he can be Peja-lite... that would just be AWESOME.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't think he played with a 3 pt line unless it was during his ABA days.

And, I would be thrilled if Boki becomes that type of player.

DD

4. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

peja... peja? ... PEJA??!!

i just hope we get a Kukoc out of it.

5. pchan

pchan Member

I think Boki can be the white lamar odom that so many people so desparately wanted before we draft Yao

I am so glad Boki is finally being recognized by the majority of fans now.. it pains me to remember the day he was being compared to lanky...

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Pchan,

Boki can play all he needs is minutes and his comfort level will soar.

He is long and aggressive and moves with and without the ball.

He makes the offense SO much better.

And his defense is not bad these days either.

He should be getting around 20-25 minutes a game, don't know why JVG did not play him in the 2nd half.

DD

7. pchan

pchan Member

I agree with you. I thought boki was doing some good things at the beginning of the year when he got some min... Then, I guess JVG wanted to test out with Pike and Griffin. I dont' what happen in practicie, but when boki on the court, I thought he always play hard and with energy. Those airballs are just lack of pt.. mental things. Maybe Jvg feels boki's just a rook.. and he wants to stay with his vet down the stretch.

JJ's minor injury is a blessing in disguise.. it gives boki the chance to show he can be big at the big time.

8. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

9. Ryoga Hibiki

Ryoga Hibiki Member

Kukoc, if he was born 15 years later, would have been a Top3 pick in ANY recent draft. Boki is not that talented.

BTW, I insist: stop seeing him as a pure shooter, he's never been one throughout his career.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't even see the comparisons in the style of play between either of those two and Boki.

Dirk and Peja are both outside shooters with suspect defense. Boki is a slasher and a dunker with better athletisism and much much better defense than Dirk or Peja.

11. Nero

Nero Member

Actually, I am starting to see him as a Tom Chambers type...

Kind of a hyper-aggressive jack-of-all-trades kind of player..

And for those of you who are too young to remember him, just know
    that Chambers once managed to be the ALL-Star MVP one year, smack
    in the middle of the Bird/Magic/Olajuwon/Barkley/Isiah era...

I would be satisfied with a guy like that..

12. fa7999

fa7999 Member

If he is anywhere close to what Danny was able to do before he injured his knees, Boki would have been a solid contributor and a borderline all star.

unfortunately that most likely won't happen.

13. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Boki has way more athletism than Peja/Kukoc/Dirk, or even Tukolu. He is a bigger version of Ginobili with a worse ball handling skill.

I see him as a poor mans Scott Pippen at the peak of his career IF he can get opportunity to develop.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What are you guys smoking? Bokie can barely get off the bench in his 2nd year. Out of those guys, Turkoglu is the worst, but he played 17 minutes per game his first year and 25 minutes per game his second year.

If Boki doesn't learn to shoot consistently, I wonder if he'll even have a job in the NBA. He is not very good defensively, and even though he can slash, he is too slow to get around most guys.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think Nachbar is a lot closer to Turkgolu than he is Dirk or Peja. I think Nachbar is more athletic than Turkgolu but doesnt have as good a shot. If Nachbar could get to Turkgolu's level of shooting (which is decent, not Peja quality) than I think we would be very happy.

16. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

A taller Piatkowski. :D

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Boki shouldn't be compared to shooters like Peja, Dirk, or even Pike. Rudy said Boki was a dunker. He's aggressive in going to the hole. You can see it when he plays. He's a lot better driving than shooting set shots.

The problem is, the NBA is a lot faster than Euro ball. That's why he often gets stripped when he drives. I think he has the potential of being a good slasher once he finally adjusts to the NBA speed and gets rid of some bad habits.

Looks like Boki is a streaky shooter. He can make a few in a row in one game and miss a ton in another. Y'all heard about him making 27 consecutive treys in practice last year. That shows you that when he feels it, he can hit the shot. The question is, how often does he feels it. Did I say he's not a shooter like Peja and Dirk?

The positive is that his D is better than what we've expected. That's why I think he should be compared to Ginobili, who is a slasher and hustler, not a shooter. If he can play D and hustle, he'll get PT from JVG.

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The way he moves and jumps is what I was talking about.