1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boki to the point

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dconover, Mar 23, 2004.

1. dconover

dconover Contributing Member

Vince has no business making that shot behind the basket over Boki. Did you see Boki move his feet and keep a hand up?

I am going crazy here.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

"after the fact"? what does that mean? all i'm saying is the guy needs to show some promise before you start talking about him as if he is good or has skills.

3. dconover

That is BS. Give the kid some respect and calls. Vince was pushing off.

Heads up little guy.

Uh... other than perhaps he read this post... what is up with JVG's rotation tonight. I like it.

4. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

No, it's that you make it seem like he has zero talent.

And I'm not saying that he's "great" or "awesome." I'm saying that he has shown *some * good skills and that he just needs time to develop (with some PT).

It's not my fault if you can't see this. Oh well.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i just don't see what you see. i saw yao had talent before he even set foot in america. i saw he had talent in those first few preseason games he played. i see nothing close to that with boki. boki has shot 35% from the field in the limited time he has played. we can't babysit the guy until he gets comfortable. if he wants to play he has to take advantage of his time. he is known for his shooting and he can't shoot in game. i wish he could but he doesn't shoot well in game. his defense is poor, but he does hustle a lot.

i just don't see what you are basing his talent off of that you couldn't say the same thing for every single other NBA player that is a sg/sf.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Boki has shown signs. He nailed 16 threes in a row in a shooting practice. He had like 15 dunks in a game in Europe.

What you just said is like me saying, I saw Lebron had skills before he came to the NBA.....

7. DavidS

And who's comparing Boki to Yao? Where do you get these assumptions from?
    Did I say that he'd be at Yao's level?

And if a player is less talented than Yao, isn't it reasonable to say that the talent level a particluar player will reach will be less evident? That's Boki. Given time he'll be a solid role player. Maybe one day start (if not on this team, then another).

8. DavidS

Big deal. That's Yao we're talking about.

9. DavidS

Because you NEED a player to already show signs of greatness before you deem them "talented."

How obvious!

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

no its more like saying that you realize the guy has stuff that can be applied to the NBA game...like a ginobili.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

no i need a player to show signs of talent before i call them talented.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

yeah the yao that all the sports writers agreed on as a big project who would take many years to develop. this is the same boki that the sports writers said was NBA ready. his video from those italian leagues was nothing special.

13. DavidS

LOL!!!!! Give it up man! You need things to be OBVIOUS!

How about this one?

"I need a guy to be big before I call him big..."

DUH!

14. DavidS

Ok, and...? Are we supposed to use the "sports writers" as a measurement now?
    Given 4 or 5 years, and Boki playing better, will the fact that the writers were wrong about him being "NBA ready" mean anything?

No.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i really do give up. we are completely different wavelengths. i was trying to make the point about how it wasn't obvious with many people that yao was going to dominate but they were saying boki was nba-ready. i thought it was obvious yao was going to dominate. i didn't think boki was going to be anything special, but i was hoping he would be as good as the writers were saying. in the time he has played he has not been anything close to his scouting report.

16. DavidS

The difference between the writers and myself, is that I thought that Boki (and still can) become a solid 10ppg/8rpg fast-breaking small forward giving enough time to develop.

Nowhere in my post did I say that "talent" had to equal huge numbers. "Talent" doesn't have to mean super-high numbers (or "something special").

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

boki has talent, but i don't think he has NBA talent or the talent to be a difference maker, which is what 10 and 8 on a good team would be. every player in the NBA is very talented, but i guess i didn't make that distinction about what kind of talent i think boki has. i was meaning a player who could be a good role player, which would be talented. boki is having trouble being the 11th/12th man.

18. DavidS

Like I said...just wait. You'll see. It's still his 2nd year. He not needed on this team as much since we have JJ (a seasoned veteran) at the 3.

And if he's not with this team in a few years, then keep an eye on him on that other team.

#78 DavidS, Mar 24, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2004
  19. sup123

sup123 Member

i think he is just to nervous during the acutal game...in garbage time he always makes his shots; that shows he is nervous right now.

20. dconover

BOKI, BOKI, BOKI

Ok... maybe my suggestion was to move Boki to the point (which I still believe in - he did guard Rose - the Raptor point most of the game) - but I am just glad that he was able to play quality minutes.

If JJ is out long enough... who nows... maybe Boki will have earned a spot in the rotation.

Either way... great hustle, rebounding, solid defense, and he is quick. Smart all around play.

Houston Chronicle even had an article about him and someone else has started a post regarding it.

Thanks for listening JVG!