1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boki to the point

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dconover, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

DEVELOP

That is the word used by everyone hoping more for a player they like in the NBA or in college. Scouts use it all the time, saying this person can develop to be this and that.

Unfortunatly the way the league works and how teams and coaches are, certain players will not get a chance to DEVELOP. Yeah Boki can develop a lot of things (more confidence, consistant shot) but that is going to only come with one thing Playing time to get better and be against the competition that is out there on the NBA level, that way he can DEVELOP.

When Peja came into the league he played nearly 30 minutes a game to get the confidence and realize the NBA game and look at him now. Im no saying Boki is the Next Peja style player, but at the same time that he isn't the Next Peja.

Playing Time builds confidence, messing up and learning will help him DEVELOP into something we want, but that all lies in the hands of JVG right now.

2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Forget Steve for a minute. What gives Boki an edge at point over MJ? Wilks? Pike? JJ? Tierre Brown? Twenty other unsigned NBDL players who can at least hit an open shot?

Boki may be an NBA player one day, but as of now he can barely get off the bench at trash time and, even then, he shows nothing to earn him more time. And you can bet he's not showing it in practice either.

There's not only nothing in your first post to support your thesis. There's nothing anywhere else either.

3. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

True...but this thread's central theme was about Boki, right?

It was just a general observation about his game, not whether or not others don't need improvement in quickness.

#43 DavidS, Mar 24, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2004
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i meant that in the sense that its something that you dont improve on. you are as quick as you're gonna get...you can't improve quickness. lots of guys could improve on their quickness, but they can't because its something you can't improve on.

5. DavidS

We'll have to wait and see..."Can't" is your opinion. There's always ways to improve in one way or another. And you make this assement in Nachbar's 2nd year?

I'm not talking about "Iverson quickness." Just better. I think I'm being resonable here...it seems that it is you that is saying "impossible."

Just get it over with and say that you don't think that Boki can improve. Just say it and stop beating around the bush.

#45 DavidS, Mar 24, 2004
  6. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

From http://www.clutchfans.net/feature.cfm?FeatureID=164

Maybe DoD could elaborate?

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

name one player who has improved "quickness". it's not an opinion. maybe if someone is fat and then they lose weight that would improve their quickness, but not someone who is already fit.

anyhow...i didn't say i don't think he can improve. everyone can improve. i just don't think he is that good. i have said this since last year. he has showed nothing special when he does play. i simply don't understand what you are basing your beliefs off of. there is nothing to show that he can be a decent player in the NBA. when he does show something when he plays i will feel different.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Nothing gives him the edge over Cato or Oakley at point either. It's just the same silly "Euro" player sterotypes that gave people so much hope about him in the first place ("oh, he must be a deadeye shooter-fundamentally sound-smart player-good passer-good decision maker because he has a bunch of consonants in his name"); that thus far have proven unreliable

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Boki will never play till he leanrs how to D up, and that starts in practice. Once he knows how to at least get in the way, maybe JVG will let him play meaningful minutes, Boki's problem isnt hes out of position, its just that he is a BAD defender.

10. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

Just have him play, anywere i don't care if he plays SF or PF just give that dude some minutes.

11. dconover

dconover Contributing Member

I also should quote the person who posted the comments about DEVELOPMENT. You need to develop players. TALENT doesn't win. Fundamentals and smart basketball skills win. Who knows what kind of player BOKI can be. But until you start to play and develop all of your players (ala Hubie Brown at Memphis) you will be stuck recycling old, washed up, near 40 year old veterans. BOKI or WILKS or any young player is not going to kill you if they play a consistent 10 - 15 minutes a night. They are going to build confidence. Practice play does not equal Game play. Let the kids play and develop.

12. AlexVanderpool

Lets trade Yao and put Boki in at Center ;)

13. dconover

I also need to respond to this posting. While not an expert in any means - I am a middle school/high school basketball coach and I can tell you that it is very, very easy to break a press as long as your players are in the right spot, they stay under control, and they see the whole court. During the season, we devote at least of our practice time to the press and press break and my kids and break a good press without even dribbling the ball and are in position to score an easy transition layup almost everytime. Conversely, our press works like gang busters against teams that are not prepared for it and when a team is prepared for it... we don't run it as any press can be easily beat.

The ROX problem is that we don't have the practice time to run press break and/or players smart enough and under control enough to run it.

14. DavidS

Of couse you will will different about him. Because it will be "after the fact."

15. dconover

JVG DOES READ THESE POSTS!

BOKI IS IN THE GAME!!!
    FIRST QUARTER!

BOKI, BOKI, BOKI

before you start... no one can guard Air Canada.

16. dconover

Boki is the man!

Did you see him rebound! What does he have... 3 already. Did you see him rebound... push the ball on the break to Mobley. The boy can do it all!

17. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

If only Boki could make his layups or make jumpers, or hit the three. Other than that, he has a nice game. I love his ability to put it on the floor, that is something the Rockets could use but he needs to make his shots.

18. dconover

Boki with the clean and simple inlet pass to Yao to start the 2nd.

19. DavidS

Yeah, the strange thing is that they guy rebounds like a power forward. That's one of his strengths. He's got good hands in traffic (those long arms help too!).

And he can run the floor very well; long strides (like a deer!) :D I just wish JVG would give him more PT.

#59 DavidS, Mar 24, 2004
  20. dconover

He can hit them. Just needs PT to find his flow.