1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BOKI gets career night, 1 game after National TNT game

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Jan 28, 2007.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He has not played PG yet.

And he will probably always be a guy who has more turnovers than average due to his deft passing. Lots of balls that teamates are not ready for...Tmac is the same way.

There is a certan amount of risk involved with creative players....ala Nash, Kidd, etc..etc...

Not saying V-Span is comparible to them, YET...but his creativity is.....at least on the pass.

And we are kind of derailing the thread from Boki and his amazing coming out party.....

DD

#101 DaDakota, Feb 17, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  2. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

what coming out party? boki has a 20 point game once every month IF that.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

So he's averaging all those turnovers without playing PG. Sweet.

There is also a certain amount of reward involved with creative players like Nash, Kidd, and TMac. How you can even breathe VSpan's name in the same sentence as theirs is beyond me.

So you're saying he's as creative passing the ball as TMac, Kidd, and Nash? I'm just going to move on. lol.

Yeah, but I figured you wouldn't mind since we seem to throw these parties often for players you like. :D For example, do you remember the party you threw for was it Boki or Kelenna - I forget, when he had 3 "solid" games in a row? Man, those 3 games were Stromilesque! How about we go back now and look how he performed after those 3 games? Why is it you're always patting yourself on the back when you think you're right, but we never hear from you when you were obviously wrong?

It's about time for a Kelenna Azubuike party - he's had 3 good games in a row, again. :D

4. DaDakota

Another good game by Boki tonight.

6-8 shooting........15 points....

DD

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

and another loss, for a team that has given up on the season. That's his niche. Backup who excels on lottery teams that don't play defense.

#105 SamFisher, Feb 22, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  6. DaDakota

This is about whether he is a solid NBA player, and he is turning into one...whether or not he is on a good team or not.

I wish he were on the Rockets we could use him now.

DD

7. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

No he would sit next to V-Span.

8. DaDakota

Perhaps, but with his ability to slash to the basket and shoot the 3 ball, he would fit right in....

DD

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jason Kidd and Vince Carter were not traded.
    This is because they love playing with BOKI.
    :p

10. DaDakota

Another good night for Boki 15pts 10 boards

It looks like he is finally finding his groove and his confidence. It was just a matter of playing time.

Another inane leap of fallible logic from the King of them....

New Jersey climbs up to 8th in the playoff standings

Given up on the season.... :rolleyes:

Just admit it Sam, you were wrong about Boki, and you are going to be proven wrong about V-Span too....

DD

#110 DaDakota, Feb 25, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  11. Panda

Panda Member

What's up with all these Boki and V-Span hate?

12. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Samfisher has a little bit of problems with Euro players. He always think they can't play in the NBA.

Boki finally becomes a player. He is the reason why I watch Nets games.

13. DaDakota

In Boki's last 5 games he is averaging:

PPG 14.4
    RPG 5.4
    MPG 26.6
    FG% .565
    3pt% .482
    2pt% .706
    FT% 1.000%

Yes it is only 5 games, but he is really coming on strong. Sometimes it takes players a while to find their groove, and their niche and more importantly their confidence...

Too bad we gave him away for peanuts.

DD

14. Rockets Dynasty

He looks better than Peja right now.

And yet "JVG made the right move" is the mantra of the board and "JVG and fans know V-Span has zero talent too just like Boki."

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And sometimes a player needs to be exposed to the harsh reality that he's not good enough... and must improve on his game through tireless hard work/training if he wants to stay in this league.

The reality was Boki was not good AT ALL during his rookie year... when Rudy stuck him on the bench (and left him there). Hell, even V-span got some occasional looks early this season... Rudy had Boki on the bench after the first game.

Boki is simply an example of a player working his ass off after being left for dead... that should be emphasized more than using this as an example of the Rox missing out on some hidden gem.

I say too bad we wasted the 14th pick in the draft on him...

16. DaDakota

Boki was what? 20 or 21 years old when he was on the Rockets as a rookie? And coming from a different country?

I think the Rockets should have protected their investment and helped to develop Boki....instead of casting him off after 2 1/2 years because JVG and he did not see eye to eye concerning playing time.

And as for wasting a pick....it is fairly rare that players drafted at 14 make an impact so quickly.

Boki is a player, now....I just wish he was a player for Houston.

The team should learn a lesson about V-Span from this...give him some time....and he will be a good NBA player.

Cast him off and he will be a good NBA player....FOR SOMEONE ELSE !

DD

#116 DaDakota, Feb 26, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He didn't really improve all that much in the 2.5 years here... or in New Orleans. Perhaps being on the cusp of not having a JOB is what caused him to suddenly commit to off-season conditioning, weight training, shot-making, etc.

Who knows how much of that would have happened had he just stayed in Houston... how many teams give a first round pick 5+ years to show them a semblance of a pulse? (not including David Carr).

I also liken this to Rashard Lewis... except that he wasn't a first round pick. There's no way he would have commited as fast as he did to improving (re-inventing) his game had he gotten the cush guaranteed 1st round deal from his hometown team.

Sometimes players need incentive... and being on the cusp of being relegated out of the NBA is all the incentive they should need to start improving their game.

18. DaDakota

Fair enough points - each player is different in their dedication and motivation.

But by year 3, Boki was at least an end of the rotation player, and is now creeping up on starter status....

And, do you now agree that Boki is a solid NBA player? And wouldn't you rather him be doing it as a Rocket?

DD

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Of course... I'd also like Amare Stoudamire at PF and Ray Allen at SG, but that's not going to happen either.

If it was truly about the Rockets failing to develop him, he would have stuck with the undermanned Hornets (who didn't have Peja at the time). It was a combination of the Rockets needing dead-eye outside shooters (which Wesley was in 04-05), and Boki not improving at the necessary rate to warrant playing time (look at Luther Head's improvement in his shot as a comparison).

Also, Boki wasn't even touted as a 3 point shooter out of the draft... he was more of a slasher, but wasn't nearly strong enough to have that part of his game translate to the NBA. He needed to work on his shot big time.

I'm crediting Boki for putting in the hard work necessary to make it in this league... but I'm not going to ridicule the Rockets for "failing to develop him" as you may see it. Boki needed a wake-up call, and he woke up... good for him.

20. DaDakota

Fair enough, I just think he could have done that in Houston.

DD