1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BOKI gets career night, 1 game after National TNT game

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Jan 28, 2007.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wrong !!!

It would protect Yao and cover their 3 point shooters.....and would be a good change of pace.....not the every moment defense but at least one that could change it up a bit. Of course you and others know more than Pat Riley who used it to get the heat back in the game after being down by 20.

:rolleyes:

You are kidding right? More LEAPS of logic....SHEESH !!

Me trying to find a way to IMPROVE the Rockets team by getting in on another team's misfortune and asking a question about the salary cap does not equate to basketball knowledge in any way....smooth move ex-lax...try again.

You are batting zero !

There you go again....jumping to conclusions.......I don't know what the market for Griffin was...but the fact that New Jersey signed him right away proved that there was at least SOME market for him...and something is better than nothing.

But, since you asked, I think the Rockets failed Eddie Griffin almost as much as EG failed the Rockets.....when you draft a 19 year old kid you better have a plan on how to help said kid with things OUTSIDE of basketball.....The Rockets should have done more to protect their investment, to mentor him, have a plan in place...they did not...and it bit them in the A$$ almost as much as the Len Bias deal did to the Celtics.

Try to stick to the main points of the thread Sam....again you have come into a thread and personally attacked me and my stance. And you derailed the thread.....

No go away or I will force you to back down from another fight like you did in a thread earlier by being the same kind of arrogant ass you are being in here.

DD

#81 DaDakota, Feb 16, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

:D
    LOL, the Heat GOT DOWN BY 20 IN THAT GAME while using the zone...a fact that you conveniently omitted.

This idiotic canard about the zone vs. phoneix has been debunked too much for me to bother by others here, but suffice it to say, DaDakota, if you're an adherent to "fundamental" basketball, the way you claim, using a zone against a high pace team, loaded with good shooters team like Phoenix, when you have a slow, good man defense team like Houston, is absolutely what you would NOT do....aside from the oh-so-quantifiable "change of pace" value. I can imagine how flustered they would be...I bet Nash would piss his self.

Last time I checked that was part of basketball. So in other words, you're conceding that your lack of knowledge about the NBA leads you to start dumb threads sometimes - but we knew that.

Sorry DaDakota - but you're the one who jumped to conclusions by assuming there was something to get for him (and that he would be "a very good player in the NBA" :D)

Anyway, NJ's signing proved that there was a market for him ... FOR THE PRICE OF NOTHING.

It did NOT prove there was a market for him, FOR THE PRICE OF SOMETHING.

Get it?

P.S. Tell me what the fact that they released him a week later without him having played a game meant? Where was the market then? Or more likely there wasn't one to begin with.

Yeah, I didn't ask, and this part is irrelevant to your proven track record, other than as bad hindsight excuse/blame So nobody cares.

I'm going to the gym. Respond if you want. At least we are giving the people a show.

3. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Hey, so, uh ... how're the rest of you doing today?

4. DaDakota

They dabbled with the zone in the first half and it stopped the tide....RILEY went to it in the 2nd half for a good period of time and they got back in the game.....the only canard is the leap of faith and taking things out of context that you do in all your posts.

No, let Nash go off ! Cover his teamates, let him score when he can...that is the point....NASH is not the one that is going to beat you it is the supporting cast...make them spectators and Nash the primary scorer, then you have a chance....

So, you equate me asking an honest question to discussions on basketball strategy, you aren't too smart are ya Maynard !

So again, why release him and HELP OUT AN OPPONENT????????? Since we had to pay his contract anyway.....how is that smart business again???? Oh yeah...it isn't.

It is relevant as that is what I was saying in the thread...which you are twisting around in some lack of reading comprehension way you always do.

I don't care about giving anyone a show, I do care about you coming into other people's threads (mostly mine) just for the sake of arguing, and not actually particpating in any relevent manner to those threads.

Your entire MO on this board is an arrogant A$$ who goes into threads and criticizes but never adds much of any opinion yourself. You just go in and shoot the messenger.....and then start a BBS fight to draw attention to yourself.

Well done Sam......Now don't you have a fist fight to prepare for, oh wait a minute, you backed down from it....right tough guy?

Maybe you should learn a lesson and try to make friends around here instead of simply coming into a thread...shotgunning the creator and then simply rehashing tired old arguments that have no resolution?

No one can be proven right Sam....

I like a zone...you don't
    I think the Rockets screwed up by not taking care of EG - you don't
    I thnk V-Span will be a good player - you don't
    I know basketball - you don't

See.......that is how it all works....no go to the gym...puny boy....you need it.

DD

#84 DaDakota, Feb 16, 2007
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

nor does anybody who knows sh-t about basketball, which is why most NBA coaches never play it, vs. PHX or anybody for the most part.

Stop lying. to make yourself look good. You said he would be a star in this league when they got rid of them.
    yeah i'm feeling red-faced about that one....
    Really?

see above.

Bye.

SF

6. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

dakota, i'm pretty sure all your credibility went out the window with your excuse for a handheld, lol

[​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]

7. DaDakota

Tmac640.....I made enough money on the sale of my company to Gizmondo to retire at 42, how is your job going?.....and if it was successful I would have made tens of millions more, I worked my ass off at that company and got screwed by 5 crooks stealing from the top, and the very fact that all the cell phone companies are now doing what we were doing 2 years ago proves that we were on the right path....I am sorry what was your point again?

You need to think before you step up to the $1000 table little man.

DD

#87 DaDakota, Feb 16, 2007
  8. DaDakota

Most coaches? Have you watched all their games? Pat Riley did it, but you know more than him...right? And again, I recommended it as a change of pace......don't you read the fricken threads?

Yes, he had all the tools, The Rockets should have mentored him and helped him harness those skills. He was their investment after all.

I am not lying about anything it is what I posted in that thread you regurgitated.

Wuss ! Stop coming into threads and derailing them with your puny little petty ass arguments - no one wants to hear em, certainly not me.

#88 DaDakota, Feb 16, 2007
  9. TMac640

lol whatever you say

[​IMG]

10. DaDakota

I still have 30 of em and they all work brilliantly. Whenever I go on a trip I use the GPS in the rental cars.....

But I came in late on the first one, this one was my baby.

[​IMG]

Link to some of the features

Some not mentioned include a flip up 5mg digital camera that allowed hand held video conferencing.....a deal with Skype that allowed a free internet phone on your belt wherever there was wireless connections

And that was just the start.......

Whatever !! Tmac640 just following in his mentors footsteps of not contributing anything to a thread other than coming in and personally insulting someone....well done.

DD

#90 DaDakota, Feb 16, 2007
  11. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I'm not gonna bother with the recurring arguments about Zone, EGriffin, and the rest of the topics which have been debunked or debated to death already. However I would like to point out, that this statement is flatout wrong.
    The game was on ESPN and Miami was severely shorthanded not only because Shaq was not playing but Wade was also out. Becuase of this Miami played a 3 v 2 zone the entire first half and from what I hear, the entire second half also. I recall watching the entire first half of this game and did not watch the second half due to it being a blowout by halftime and further remeber Doug collins commenting on NUMEROUS occassions how Miami's zone was giving the Sun's all the wide open perimeter shots in the first half.

The only reason I still remeber this is because the next day I saw a thread you DD made about how the Sun's were stopped by Miami's zone and responded with what I wrote above. I seem to recall your response was that they while its true Miami played a zone in the first half, they played a different zone in the second. Since I didnt watch the first half I remember asking what zone did they play in the 2nd half without iliciting a response.

12. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Oh and for the record, I'm in favor of sometimes utilizing a zone against Pheonix, but not because it would stop their 3 point shooting, but rather to defend against Nash's penetration and pick and roll. Zones by design are most effective at detering penetration without creating the mismatches caused by pick and rolls, ie switching a big to a small or leaving a big to trap or show thereby leaving the screener to roll to the hoop unguarded. With the Zone, two guards will stop the ball handler from an advantage off a screen and yet still have a center to defend the paint. The obvious negative being, leaving a man open at the 3 point line.

13. DaDakota

Again that depends on the zone.....

I believe in the first half they ran a little zone...but it was not completly effective and then they went to an aggressive 3-2 in the 2nd half and it was working very well as they were able to leave the shooters open they wanted at the 3pt line....ala Marion etc.

DD

14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

What is a little zone? From what i recall they ran a standard 3 v 2 zone in the first half. I didnt watch the second half so I dont know if they were more aggressive or what, but from the box score of the game, the obvious difference was not Miami's zone changing in the third to give Marion and only Marion the 3 point shot but rather Barbosa goin cold and missing 4 of 5 3 pointers and JRose going 0 for 2. Marion as you mention actually only took and made his 1 point attempt in the 2nd half and was 2/3 for the game.

Regardless it still remains true that your statement is incorrect as you stated, Miami only dabbled with the zone in the first half when in actuality they were exlcusively playing a 3/2 zone the entire first half. Furthermore you were wrong again when you said "it stopped the tide" in the first half, when it reality they heat did not make a run till the 4th quarter with Pheonix running away with the game in the 1st half. After 3 quarters the score was 84 to 63 Phoenix.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Rafer > Boki :D

A decent complimentary piece?! Come on man, you were acting like we gave up on some Peja-type player when we traded him. lol.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You say "1 game" like he's averaging starter minutes or something. Come on DaDa, are you running for politics now and twisting stats? :)

Since he only averages 8.6 mpg, I would hope he averages around a turnover or less per game. I hate projecting minutes, but that's around 3.3 turnovers a game against the scrubs he plays against when he comes in. I guess that's an improvement...

17. DaDakota

Of course it is an improvement, his turnovers have been coming down since his one big turnover game in that blowout win.

Which was precisely my point, his turnovers would continue to decline to an acceptable level as he gets comfortable on the court.

DD

18. TMac640

and dadakota is pretty much the only one on the entire board that believes boki has any future in the nba.

mods, members, game, set, match.

19. DaDakota

I would hazard to guess that the New Jersey Nets and coach Frank feel differently than you do, and I am sure the rest of the BBS/Mods appreciate you speaking for them...way to go Karnack !

No one ever said he would be a star, just a decent NBA player, and he is clearly developing into that.

At least now you have come into a thread and contributed to the thread instead of getting personal and simply being an A-hole while attacking someone because they believe differently than you.

That was bush league and typical of Sam Fisher....

DD

#99 DaDakota, Feb 17, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He averaged 7 turnovers per 35 minutes played in the pre-season. Of course his turnovers are going to come down since that - hell, if they went up anymore, they would've shipped him back to Greece.

But you're saying "since his one big turnover game in that blowout win". I'm guessing you're talking about the 5 turnovers in 23 min game against the Warriors on Dec. 5? Since then he's averaging about 3.4 turnovers per 35 minutes against 1) scrubs and 2) while playing some SG recently. Awesome. I guess one way to cut down on his turnovers is to take the ball out of his hands and put it in someone else's. :)

Ultimately the guy hasn't logged enough minutes against anybody worthwhile in the last month or two to make a point one way or another. I mean, here are his minutes totals for the past few games : 3, 7, 6, 3, 5, 3, 2, 4, 1, and 1. Before that his minutes for games were 10, 19, 15, 18, 6, and 23. But in those games his turnovers were high. If anything, all his numbers prove so far is that the more minutes he gets while playing PG, the worse he is at turning the ball over.

#100 Dr of Dunk, Feb 17, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2007