1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bobcats possibly signing Al Jefferson [waiting on Mavs]

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OTMax, Jul 4, 2013.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/60830/

Judging by this source, in order for them to offer him 15$ million a year (way overpaid!) they cannot resign: Diop, Reggie & Mullens and would need to amnesty Thomas. That way they lose two big men, but still they have: Biyombo, Haywood & Cody Zeller. Considering this, why are they pursuing Al?

They are probably pairing him with Biyombo which is not the best idea since Al is bigger and would probably have to be the C and Biyombo is not quick enough to guard PFs. Also Biyombo is not an offensive threat. Maybe Zeller is the better option there but he's too raw maybe.

It also would leave the roster very thin with Kemba, Gordon, MKG - possibly Henderson - as the other starters with Sessions, Taylor, Haywood, Adrien & Zeller coming off the bench. This is still a terrible roster though they will win some more games. I'm just having a hard time understanding this move, since it will handicap them in the future and limits their chances of signing anybody else.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

When you're the Bobcats...you gotta do things like this...

3. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Yeah the Bobcats are tired of being a joke, and this would be a step towards mediocrity

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Bobcats, what are you doing? One of the best drafts in a long time next year and you'd rather have Al Jefferson for $60 million? How ridiculous.

5. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Hahaha. Great point, didn't think of it like that.

6. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

PG Kemba Walker
    SG Gerald Henderson
    SF Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
    PF Al Jefferson
    C Cody Zeller

That is still probably the worst team in the league. Wiggins would be a nice addition to that lineup.

7. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

My sentiments exactly. It's all about the tank if you're the Bobcats. Don't even entertain the idea of screwing up a chance at Wiggins with the signing of Al Jefferson. Rich Cho should know better.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

To be fair to them, some other random team always seems to jump them on lotto ball night. They'd still be anywhere from 3-8 worst and for all wee know this would be the time the balls bounce their way.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Biyombo is EASILY quick enough to guard PFs. Dude has rockets for legs...

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

same thing with martin to the wolves. these signings make no sense. these GM's should think:

1) will this guy still be good when our stars are in their prime?
    2) will this hurt our lotto chances?

what's the point of signing an old guy with a young team? when the core of the team hits their prime, that guys declined and taking up too much cap space to build a contender. he only helps immediately win meaningless games because the rest of the team isn't ready to win, and hurts your chances at winning the lotto and possibly getting a star that will be in his prime at the same time as the rest of your core players.

i wouldn't spend a dime on jefferson if i was the bobcats. maybe if i were the spurs i would give him splitters money.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

IMO, Wolves getting Martin was a fantastic move.

Rubio, Love and Pekovic are in their primes, and that is the best a market like that is ever going to do. Martin is PERFECT for them, imo.

12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

That as honestly very cheap for Martin. Must be very keen for Adelman to keep going.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i won't disagree 100% bc i think love and pek are at their best. but rubio isn't near it.

another thing to consider is, if your core of young talent are at their best, and your a lotto team, why not blow it up?

i didn't say kmart was a bad fit in a basketball sense. they needed a SG and they need 3pt shooters, so he's a good fit on the court. i just think its a bad move to have kmart help win a few more games but not make the playoffs and not get a good pick in the draft. by this time next summer i think they would rather have a high lotto pick than a low lotto pick and an aging kmart with 3 years left on his contract. but we'll have to wait to find out.

14. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

the bobcats are basically punishment for Charlotte's previous sins

yeah i don't know how they messed up that badly either

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

That core (Love, Pekovic, Rubio) played 13 total minutes together this season.
    Unless they get devastated by injuries again, they aren't getting a high lotto pick, KMart or not.

And blowing it up based on those 13 minutes is premature, to put it mildly.

16. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

They should've started their rebuilding sooner. But I guess Jordan wanted to start his tenure by making the playoffs. So whatever.

But since they've started to rebuild, they've been making mostly good moves. Jefferson signing would be the first big question mark.

17. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Living in NC, I like it for them, just feels like they just want to be competitive let the young guys get a taste of winning in the league. I dont think its bad. I wished they got Kevin Matin he went to Western Carolina him for scoring would have been really good.

Kemba
    Martin
    MKG
    Jefferson
    Zeller

18. dragician

dragician Member

ah, no wonder MJ is selling his mansion in Chicago 8m discount ;).

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This, kind of. He'll probably help them win another 5 games or so. That's still joke territory in my book; but the real 'joke' will be the $60M they just spent to still suck and hurt their drafting position.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, signing Martin was a good move, but it doesn't move the needle towards contention and ultimately it obstructs that goal. You either win or lose in basketball, building your team for mediocrity is weak. It's moves like this one that piss off stars down the road. Love just got locked into a 47 win a year ceiling for awhile.