1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob McNair: We’re working on getting a quarterback

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rawbrah, Jan 13, 2016.

1. mick fry

mick fry Member

Stafford, Savage and a drafted qb. I'll be happy.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well yeah....but that's probably not going to happen. Stafford is essentially a top tier QB, I'm not sure what the Texans would have to give up for that, but I'm guessing it would be a lot.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Meh... Bob will want Manning believing he is the same player as 5 years ago.

Bob will then turn his attention to Kirk Cousins but the Redskins will pay what it takes

Ultimately Bob will settle for Matt Hasselbeck.

In the draft Bob will wait for Conner Cook in round 2.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He just seems clueless.

Look at Les Alexander and whatever the Astros owners name is.

They hired the best front office people they could find. Forward looking, smart people who understand analytics, the salary cap, drafting and all that stuff. Then they got out of the way.

McNair interviews one black guy to satisfy the Rooney rule then hires this guy who throws around f bombs and trades for then signs Ryan Mallet as the future because his personality is leadershippy and fiery or something. He's like David Eckstein in coaching form.

His GM is basically just an errand guy for the coach but at the same time has power struggles with the head coach and gets them fired. He is also the Godfather to the owners grandkids.

He fired a coach who in the next 2 years single handedly turned around one offense then won a super bowl with another.

He lets his coach throw away draft picks like Harden throwing away the basketball after going to the strip club.

He doesn't know how to evaluate anyone and just lets things go on until its unbearable for the fans

He just doesn't seem to have any clue as to how to build a successful NFL franchise and I've spent far too much on tickets and crappy beer at Reliant

5. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

LOL. No you won't.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

We'll make a deep playoff run if this is what we start the season with.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Wait, so what are we supposed to see when we look at Les Alexander?... That's he's throwing franchise money at a disinterested star who likes to party more than he likes to play basketball?...

I would argue he actually *does* have a clue; the basic approach he takes, which is patience and stability, are actually wonderful, IMO. It requires hiring the right people - and there, I think, he can be criticized. But giving general managers and coaches longer ropes... I have no issue with that at all. Did you honestly think Adams' or McLane's constant meddling was a better course?... Would you prefer Jerry Jones? Again, back to Alexander... how've you enjoyed the Rockets' coaching situation this year?

I have no idea what to make of Rick Smith - but I thought Kubiak was a good hire and while I would have preferred the mandate came before he hired Bush, McNair's eventual insertion into the Kubiak regime, which led to Phillips' hiring, was ultimately the right call.

I think BOB is also a good hire, btw; he's progressive, adaptable, innovative; he seems to genuinely learn from his mistakes and he's 18-14 with a group of QBs that - at best - can be described as monumentally mediocre. I'm glad McNair is (probably) going to give him time to figure it all out because I think he's going to develop into one of the NFL's best coaches.

Adams. McLane, Jones - hey, based on how he treated McHale, Alexander... they all would have fired BOB after the Miami game. Let that sink in a bit...

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

You've gone too far here.. there is no such thing.. Too expensive? Yes. But crappy? Not a thing.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yeah. Let's not use the Rockets as an example.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the way McNair won't stfu guarantees someone will jump one spot in front of us in the draft to take a qb

1 person likes this.
  11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Maybe that's the plan :eek:

12. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

THIS.

13. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Damn, the gig is up! Now everyone knows we need a Quarterback.

1 person likes this.
  14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Can anybody imagine how more serious the b****ing and moaning would be if the Texans had not gone 9-7 the last two years?

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

There is no such thing as a design or plan for securing a franchise QB. Winning, tanking, trading, etc... doesn't guarantee anything.

It's all LUCK and the Texans have been unlucky on this front!!! Meanwhile teams like the Colts got extremely lucky it's almost incomprehensible. Same goes for the Pats and just about every other team with a great QB. Tons of luck required by all.

So yes we need to luck into one because that's what everyone else has and will continue to do.

16. Mr. Clutch

On the patience thing, I agree there. Most of this board wanted Kubiak fired before he really put that great team together that probably would have gone to the Super Bowl if not for Schaub getting hurt.

It's the getting the right people in place where he fails. We've talked about Rick Smith enough. There's the whole thing about him hiring consultants to make a decision. (Dan Reeves?) The consultants aren't going to tell him anything he doesn't want to hear.

And I don't like the OBrien hire. I don't know why he didn't interview anyone else (I'm not counting the token interview to satisfy the Rooney rule). That's just a bad decision making process.

And I don't see why OBrien is progressive. Because he likes trick plays?

I also don't feel he has learned. The whole Mallet thing. What kind of talent evaluation skills can we ascribe to a guy who coached Mallet for years and believed in him.

Then the trading picks away. Two years in a row traded 3 picks for a bust and by all indications were looking to trade up again. That's not learning.

And both seasons it took the team until the halfway point to finally get the right guys playing and the team gelling. First year, new team I understand. Second year not so much.

I'm also concerned that most of our wins are driven by talent from the Kubiak era. At some point those guys will be free agents and get big raises and we won't be able to fit them all under the salary cap (Brooks and Jones are Free Agents this year, Hopkins next year).

I feel the board thinks getting a QB will solve everything. A QB will not cover up for holes in lots of other places (we have holes at RB, TE, WR2, and ilb, and that's assuming we keep Brooks and Ben Jones and don't have to cut anyone else).

On Leslie Alexander, I don't blame him for Harden getting fat and not caring this year. Last year was fantastic.

#256 Mr. Clutch, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ironic that you supported giving Kubiak 7 years before he figured it out... yet you were calling out BOB after 1 draft.

18. Mr. Clutch

Sorry. Get emotional. I shall not insult beer.

19. Mr. Clutch

Two drafts

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You were squawking plenty throughout last season as well... just funny that you agree with patience, but you seem to be hyper-critical of a regime that is still very much in the process of re-building this team (albeit with winning seasons).

They are finally out of the cap hell of the previous era... by all accounts, this should be a productive off-season.