1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob Allen has died

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ras137, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Precision340

Precision340 Member

RIP to the great Bob Allen.. grew up watching that dude covering sports on channel 13.. huge loss for the city of Htown!

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Damn I grew up with Dave Ward, Marvin Zindler, and Bob Allen. He was and is a local legend.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Just terrible news.

Houston will never have as stable a news/radio collection like they had in the 70's and 80's. Bob was an integral part of that.

Has the pleasure of meeting him via his brother. He was as genuine in real life as he was on the air.

RIP

4. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Bob Allen sports segments were the best. Would always tune into 13. He will be missed. Houston Legend. RIP.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Oh, no doubt. Had a big ol' crush on her back in the day, but to me, I remember Dave, Bob, and Ed the most because it reminds me of sitting in the living room and watching the news with my dad and how he'd get mad when something like a football game would delay the broadcast or something. He would grumble and force himself to watch NBC or CBS news ... all the while mumbling something about how it wasn't as good. As odd as it seems, Bob, Marvin, Ed and Dave were damn near family we watched them so much. lol. I swear when Dave leaves us, I'll probably shed a tear and that's not a joke. It's going to hurt. It's one of those things where it's not because you knew the person, but they were so tied to events or a period of your life, they may as well have been family.

desihooper and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It is too young... but

1. I think a life well lived till 70 has to go overall in the plus column. Lived a good life. Left a mark. Doing what he wanted. 80 might have been better (assuming health), but 70 is nothing to sneer at. Point here is really just that in the seemingly never ending quest for longevity it's easy to overlook just living life to its fullest and being appreciative for the good years in earth.

2. Frankly even though it makes sense in retrospect, i would have never guessed he was 70.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I got a chance to talk with him and Robert Reid one night at a bar on a live cast in Houston - great guy.

Sad to hear of his loss.

DD

8. Buck Turgidson

9. Roscoe Arbuckle

My favorite moment was when he was covering the aftermath of the Astros finally making the World Series. He was giddy as hell. Dave said something to the effect of "don't stay out too late celebrating." And Bob with a big ass grin said, "Right now, I don't care!"

It was great seeing someone who had followed and rooted for the Astros their entire existence show so much joy after a big win, rather than trying to be "professional." Not even sure there are folks like this doing sports anymore; seems people bounce from market to market, and that's a shame.

He will be sorely missed.

desihooper likes this.
  10. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

RIP. Definitely one of the best in Houston sports news history.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

RIP Bob

It's a strange thing to see all of these people who were prominent in your childhood dying off. Just sucks.

12. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

rip, bob. always enjoyed his sports segments. dude really loved what he did.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep.... not only is it sad, but when I see things like what happened to Pallilo (and AM radio in general) happen, it pretty much cements that fixtures like this will never happen again.

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  14. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RIP, Bob. I hope he knew how much he was admired and respected by the people who watched him do his job so well for all those years.

15. Roscoe Arbuckle

And that's a shame; I was around when true Sports Radio came around, like mid 95ish? I simply want sports radio.

desihooper likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A class guy and a damn good sportscaster. I remember him from the late '70's, before we moved to Austin, and seeing him on the tube during countless visits to H-town. He'll definitely be missed.

17. BleedsRocketRed

Damn, is crazy how all these people I grew up watching are either retiring or passing away.
    Even though you dont know these people, you develop an attachment with them because every night you invite them into your house on TV. They become a part of you in a round about way.

Damn

18. J.R.

J.R. Member