1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blockbuster close to completion: Suns/Minni/ATL (Deal Looks Dead)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shawn786, Jun 27, 2007.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Posh. They're trading greatness for a bunch of mediocrity. They're doomed. A whole bunch of average players.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think they are trading a great player, who has an enormous contract and it was clear that they would not be able to become a contender while he was still there, so they are doing the prudent thing and rebuilding.

And if Phoenix gets him, I think he would come off the books the same year as Nash, right? So, the Suns are going for it now and will have cap room in 3 years....smart, especially in that Amare's knees could go out at any point again.

Atlanta is getting a good deal in that if Amare does hold up, they can compete in the weak Eastern conference....

I think this is a rare trade that is good for all involved.

DD

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Heck yes, trade Rafer for a half eaten bag of doritos.

DD

4. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I don't know about that.

If this was any other year I'd agree but this is a extreamly deep draft. Having 3 high first round picks can mean alot for your team 2-3 years from now.

5. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Wowww take it easy there DD I think your asking for a little to much. This is Rafer "Brick Layer" Alston were talking about here.

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

They didn't trade significant peices of the core to acquire Malone and Payton though, and neither of those guys were close to their prime. Other than Barkley, I can't remember the last time this happened.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Interesting perspective. They wager away Stoudemire to become favorites now yet their future is still bright despite trading its young star. They will gain cap relief when Nash and KG are older, they have the Hawks pick, they have multiple picks this year, and they are trying to get the Bobcats lotto pick. They have been working out Jeff Green, Brewer, etc...

Kerr has all the bases cover. They may get to have their cake and eat it too if they play their cards right.

8. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

if they can get a decent pg to get Amare the ball, they're in the next year's playoff. no doubt about that.

9. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

wow i actually like this trade for ATL...they really have to considered a force to be reckoned with next year if this does go down..on the other hand..its horrible new for the west..i mean **** can phx be stopped now?

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Look for Dallas to make a push at Billups. Harris and Croshere for a sign and traded Billups. Of course Detroit would never make that trade, unless Billups forced his hand. If that fails then Kidd. Possibly even J. O'Neal.

11. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

dang..rockets really need to make some more noise if this is the case...GET ARTEST!!

12. bu2002

bu2002 Contributing Member

Agree. Garnett's deal is up after 2008-09. Nash's contract has a team option after 2008-09. Marion's deal is also up after 2008-09. All 3 contracts could be off the books in 2009 and PHX can start from scratch. They could really just do a sign/trade with Marion to get something in return for him and let KG and Nash's contracts come off the books and give them the flexibility they need to rebuild. They still have the ATL 2008 pick, which could still be a lottery pick. There's no point in the Suns being concerned about the future. If they don't want to give up Amare because of the future, then they might as well give up Nash now.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

yeah but look who is doing the drafting over there. Get ready for Josh McRoberts at 11!

14. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

I would take a rusted crowbar and a nest of spiders next to my bed. I FEAR spiders!

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't know. What is the chance that Minni could but a championship contender around KG before his window closes on his career? I think very little.

Cap relief could make them major players in the free agent market this year or next. With 3 picks in the lottery you have a lot of options. And in a deep draft like this one you could really infuse some very good talent into your team. Imagine walking away from this draft with Horford, Noah and Conley. And don't forget they have a 2nd round pick as well.

Maybe pick up a Gerald Wallace in free agency to team with Ricky Davis at the wing positions and in a couple of years that could be a very scary running team.

16. thedsz

thedsz Member

KG and Marion seems a little redundant. With Amare gone the Suns lacks post presence. KG has a more perimeter oriented game and loathes playing Center when he was in Minny. But KG could easily have a career year playing under the Suns system. The Suns will be interesting to watch, and oh looks like Amare will have to prove himself to be something other than a product of Nash.

17. AussieRocket

AussieRocket Member

First of all, the trade doesn't work cap-wise for PHO.
    They take in $22M and trade away $13M. I bet Kurt Thomas goes to Minny as well. Since Minny doesn't have use for Thomas (redundant with Mark Blount/Juwon + would hinder development of whatever youngsters they take with their picks) they should be getting at least PHO's #1 next year (the one from ATL). Wolves are the most screwed team anyway, if they only get #3, #11 and Pachulia for KG AND for having to absorb Kurt Thomas deal, then McHale must be shot.

PHO frontline of KG/Diaw/Marion is awasome but a bit thin, however they should be able to get a decent backup with their #24 (Thiago Splitter?)

The six-man rotation of Nash/Barbosa/Bell/KG/Diaw/Marion will be the stuff of legends... Then again last year's Nash/Barbosa/Bell/Amare/Diaw/Marion was pretty awasome too

18. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

The only problem I see with this trade is Lux Cap $. The Suns want to ditch contracts not take a LOT more on. The plan was to dump the overpaid Marion at one time this offseason right?

19. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

IMHO, you are incorrect. The CBA allows +/- 25% + 100k. 75% of Garnett's #22m is $16.5m. Marion makes $16.4m. It works.

EDIT: Forget it's Amare @ 13.3m. About $3m is all they need. James Jones, Piatkowski, Marcus Banks. No problem.

#99 GATER, Jun 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  20. tsunami

tsunami Member

The trade this thread is discussing is to have Amare involved, not Marion.