1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blockbuster close to completion: Suns/Minni/ATL (Deal Looks Dead)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shawn786, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think KG's value is better than Barkley's then. While Barkley was very dominant, he already had signs of rapid declining. We knew he would be good for a couple of years and that's it. KG looks like still have some mileage left. Besides, Horry and Cassell were healthy young and rising players. Amare will always have the question mark about his knee.

I was against the Barkley trade back then. Now I think Phoenix is getting better.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't think so. But the Wolves could walk away with a hual that could include Horford, Brewer and Hawes(or Law or Thornton etc).
    They already have Randy Foye from last year. It would be a great way to start fresh.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

In a competent GM's hands, picks #3,7, and 11 could build Minny into a pretty good team in a few years.

4. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

I was more affriad of the way amare attacked yao. kg, well. we will have to see :rolleyes:

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yao prefer taking on Shaq to Amare. :D

6. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

haha..I like the disclaimer...

seriously though, which the crap shoot that is the NBA draft, does 3 first round picks in any draft sound like a good idea?

even the famous flop trade involving EG only got the Nets 1 good player and a rotation guy (despite the fact he starts collins is a rotation guy for any other team in the league).

Minny gets hosed in this deal..I would ask for at least one proven talent coming my way considering there are two legit all-stars involved

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I'm still confused as to why Minnesota wouldn't ask for Amare, instead of using Atlanta as a third team. He's much better than anything they'd get from the #3 and #11.

Does Phoenix not want to trade Stoudemire in conference?

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

It remains to be seen how KG will mesh with Nash. IMHO, Amare is a perfect bail out option for Nash. KG, imagine Nash penetrates nothing happens and he hand it KG, then KG starts again. Defensively, KG is better than Amare hands down. But if KG has to be the one defending Duncan, Yao, he is going to wear down too.

9. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I think Minnesota comes out pretty well in this deal. With Foye, McCants, Pachulia, the three lottery picks in this deep draft and the cap space they create from this trade, I think they could be pretty decent in a few years.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Minnesotta does well, but I think it is pointless of the Suns. KG is not a huge improvement over amare and hes a lot older.

11. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Its a crap shoot for Minnesota. 3 lottery picks that may or may not amount to anything, they aren't finished dealing. They have to trade one or more of those high draft picks for proven vet and hope the pick they keep turns out to be a nice player.

Crap, Nash + KG + Marion + Bell + Diaw + Barbosa, thats some f**king team.

12. steddinotayto

I can think of some reasons:

1. His contract. With their picks, they are essential starting pretty much all over again. No need to be hampered by a max contract when they can develop their own rookies and keep them in house for the long haul (like what the Blazers are trying to do)

2. His health. Might be successful after the microfracture surgery, but that doesn't mean he can't reinjure himself again. Heck, we don't know how much mileage he has left on those knees. It could be 10 years or 2. A risk Minny probably doesn't want to take.

3. Deep draft. They turn those picks into Hawes, Horford, and Brewer (I agree with you there whoever posted this) and their team is pretty much set to grow together. Three picks in a draft of this depth can fill out a starting lineup really easily--and really cheap.

4. They miss being in the draft. C'mon..after losing all those would-be-very-beneficial 1st rounder in that Joe Smith fiasco, it's nice to have a few in one year :D

Funny thing is that this could have all been eliminated and KG could have stayed in Minny if it wasn't for #4.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

from what i have read this draft is a lot stronger then that one and the picks are a LOT higher then what we gave up.

i mean we gave up what 3 first rounders to get a 6th pick??? where as this is pick 3 7 and 11. big big difference. you have foye from last year and then you get a lot of cap space to pick up a decent FA next year after you have a season to figure out what you have.

in my opinion if this trade happens you have portland, the wolves, the bulls, and the hawks as the future of the nba. and uhh i guess the sonics to because durant is just that gooood.

14. MacGreat

MacGreat Member

The Suns will be scary. KG is two times the player Amare is in defense and about the same as Amare in offense (may be even a little better coz KG can create his own shots). The West is getting even tougher with the coming of KG, Oden and Durant.

15. steddinotayto

You or anyone remember those times when Phoenix played San Antonio and they needed to put a defender on Duncan but had to sacrificed their offense for that? Well with Garnett, that sacrifice won't need to be there. Offensively, they aren't losing much (in fact, I'd argue that they gained some in that KG can hit consistent jumpers while Amare still hasn't gotten that part of his game back yet) and on defensive, they've improved a lot. They have quick defenders in Garnett and Marion and both can cover a lot more ground with that quickness than what Kurt Thomas and/or Amare could have done.

I don't think Kerr factored in age at all. This team is a WIN-NOW team just by looking at Nash's back. They need to win it all in the next few years before Nash completely breaks down.

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Agreed that this is a deep draft, but after Durant and Oden, none of those guys approach Stoudemire's caliber. A team of Brewer/Hawes/Horford doesn't win you a lot of games or fans.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Don't forget that the Suns still have TWO 1st round picks in this year's draft. And have Atlanta's next year. So even after this trade there are moves they can make to bolster their depth, or maybe even move up.

18. steddinotayto

I'd love to have a PROVEN talent like Amare on my team as well but if I were an imcompetent GM who had one more shot to rebuild this team before the whole city burns me at the stake, and had to choose between trading for an All-Star player with a history of injury and surgery issues with a max contract or blow it up and start fresh with three draft picks in the first 11 picks, I'd pick the latter.

Yea anyone after Oden and Durant can be a bust, but they can all pan out with some good success as a team if McHale did his homework. It's just like how the Blazers got that Aldridge/Roy haul last year.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

One problem is they could have 2-3 guys wanting big contracts at the same time in 3 years. Also, three rookies with a 2nd year starting PG and Randy Wittman as coach is a recipe for a 10 win season. They must be looking to trade one or two of those picks for a player or two.

20. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

if that's the case, then why would PHX essentially help ATL by giving them Amare? This has a direct negative effect on the value of the pick they are owed from ATL.

precursor to trading that pick?