1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blockbuster close to completion: Suns/Minni/ATL (Deal Looks Dead)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shawn786, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

by the time Phoenix gets done with winning 2 championships back to back, KG and Nash will be old and over the hill. The Spurs would be old as well, the Mavs won't win anything anyway. Then is the time for the Rockets to shine ;)

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Just to demonstrate the rarity of something like this, I like to put things into historical perspective. I can't remember the last time a team that was already a top flight contender before the trade traded for a sure fire hall of famer. The most recent example I can think of is when we traded for Charles.

I'm not sure how this compares. Both teams are pretty much sacrificing their futures to give them a 2 year window to win a title. Phoenix was the 2nd or 3rd best team in the league and we were just one year removed from back to back titles. You could probably say Hakeem at that stage was at the same level as Nash right now in terms of effectiveness.

Stoudemire (with injuries) vs. Horry and Cassell (both 25) are pretty close in value, I think.

I don't know how you would compare Charles at 34 with Garnett at 31. Even though he was broken down and older, Charles was a much more dominant player than Garnett. I've just never been a big Garnett fan. Charles the year before the trade averaged 23 and 12, numbers comparable to Garnett's best season. Obviously, Garnett has the huge advantage defensively and health wise.

I just don't see how everyone is already handing Phoenix their rings. I just see this as pretty much a lateral move. What they gain defensively, they will lose offensively. Stoudemire was a far superior finisher to Garnett and ran the floor better. It's not as if defense was a huge need either. They'll be better, but I don't think this definitively puts them ahead of Dallas and the Spurs. It will be interesting to see what they do with Diaw and Marion now and if they still plan on trading for that 8th pick.

3. playlife

playlife Member

Sheldon williams for luther head :D

4. Guru

Guru Member

This is a good deal for all 3 teams. But, speaking purely as a Rockets fan...

I'm Scared! :eek:

5. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Amare Stoudemire averaged 20 points and 9 rebounds a game (in his second year) the season before Nash got there.

6. forebay

forebay Member

I can not believe the Suns are shipping Amare out. Even with his microfracture surgery repaired knee, he is one of the best big man in the league, and as good as he played this year, he could still get better.

Trade a 25 years old Amare to a 31 years old KG?
    KG is good, but Suns are screwed if they can not win a championship within the next two years.

7. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Steve Kerr is shacking things up.

IF the sun's do win everyone and thier mama will be ridding his you know what!

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so what's next? reja bell and barbosa for kobe?

9. Barkley

Barkley Member

It would be an interestin' trade. Suns would get a great KG but I'd look at Atlanta. If that happend they would get Amare. Last season that was all about Johnson and sometimes Smtih but now their rockets would be interestin'. Johnson+Amare+Smith

10. Barkley

Barkley Member

LOL :D And then they would sing LeBron for SF :p

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

12. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

i can follow tmac fine but if it makes the rockets championship contenders, im all for it.

. but how u gonna get kg/amare to pair w/ yao? wouldn't the team be worse since our perimeter offense would be pathetic.

but i would love if tmac goes to ATL where he'll get an easier path to the finals or suns, but then he would butt heads w/ houston.

if it benefits both tmac and houston, im fine. but in this case, i think it would benefit tmac more than the team.

13. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Minnesota - Garnett for picks 3 and 11 (Steal) They ALREADY have pick 7!

Phoenix - Amare for Garnett (Okay)

Atlanta - 3 and 11 for Amare (Nice)

Minnesota is going to be loaded with Talent.

#33 WhoMikeJames, Jun 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  14. today

today Contributing Member

Hmm... Would picks #3, #7, and #11 be good enough to move up to #1 or #2?

Interesting to consider.

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

KG/Nash/Marion suns

They still need a physical big. Spurs is still better IMO. And if we acquire right pieces this summer, we can hang with Suns. Historically, Yao and Tmac always play hard against KG.

16. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Not to mention, Amare was a much bigger matchup problem for Yao to cover on the defensive end with his relentless attack of the basket. KG basically stands around near the free throw line and does nothing.

17. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

u kidding right? kg basically makes it a wash w/ duncan (they always played each other even). duncan KILLED the suns offensively. KG's defense would at least alter that a lil bit.

and we all know kg can guard dirk.

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I doubt it even though it DOES sound very tempting. You either get Oden or Durant. Not saying the rest of the crop is crap (far from it), but there is a leveling down after 1A and 1B

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

I would have never guessed that the Suns would part with Amare. Didn't think KG would ever leave the TWolves. I don't know what to think other than the Hawks might become really good, like good enough to win the East. Do the Suns get better? Not sure. Looks like the TWolves are just throwing in the towel.

20. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

wasn't there a storyline behind the johnson to atl deal that involved friction between amare and johnson?? I recall some serious animosity...

with those two and 1st class ******* josh smith...what's the over/under on an all-out team brawl in the hawks locker room this season??

barring this trade goes down of course...