1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[Blinebury] Deadline deals to spice up Rockets lack a strong kick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by infinitidoug, Mar 16, 2012.

1. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Is "splash move" the new moronically parroted idea of the year, replacing the notion of "mediocre windmill"?

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Fran isn't quite the troll that Bill Ingram is, but he sure tries to downplay the Rockets front office any chance he gets.

3. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Blinebury nailed it. Morey has shown he can draft well and make the kind of small, smart moves that give us hope for the team and make us talk about what a great GM we have and string along the fans and his job security. He can make those moves with his eyes closed. So you'll always have fans who rush to his defense, saying "look how we got Marcus Camby for nothing! How can you call that an unsuccessful trade deadline?" It's true, it was a fine trade. But he could make that kind of smart move every season for 10 years and what would the team have to show for it? Not a championship. He hasn't shown that he can make the bold move that really makes a difference. That might mean rolling the dice and trading some of our best "assets." It might mean risking his job security, if the big trade doesn't turn out well. And sorry, folks, the Gasol trade doesn't count. People can say it wasn't Morey's fault all they want, but the bottom line is Gasol isn't wearing a Rockets uniform. I've been dazzled by Morey's seemingly endless acquistions of really good players, and I've defended him as the right guy for this franchise. But he hasn't shown he can make the big, bold move. I guess we'll keep waiting and see if we get strung along again this summer.

4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I've been critical of Daryl & has poked fun of the amount of love he gets on CF. But truthfully if he blows it up, it plays to his strengths which is the draft (now with high lotto picks) and protecting cap space while picking up 1st rounders from teams running from the tax & unwanted salary. He's not ever going to recruit someone to choose HTown over some other destination. And that's OK as long as he drafts his star and pays him. If Les is truly holding him back, he needs to sit in one of those empty Toyota Center seats and shut the hell up.

5. gah

gah Member

I consider Blinebury a necessary evil but this is just a bitter article. Where are his solutions? Where is his critique of concrete actions taken by the FO office? Did he point a deal that we could have done? Did he point that we could had better offers for stars traded in the las couple of years?

But does the reader notice how Blinebury concedes that Morey did what he needed to do at the end? At this point, all we had left to pursue was to make noise in the playoffs, not just for the fans but for the value of our players.

This article is not objective just because of the POV of the writer, it's coming from the point of view of a hater.

6. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

what's sad, is that he is completely right. i like the addition of Camby, but i mean c'mon is that our standard now?

a 38-year old Center!!!! he gets like 3.4 points a game!!! and we have Dalembert! and Scola!
    omg we have the best frontcourt in the entire conference, if not the league!

if only i was born in 86 rather then in 96, so i could cherish the times when the Rockets were actually good. oh well. let's go Texans

7. SupermanSK

SupermanSK Contributing Member

If you dont knoooww, NOW you knowwwww. 80's, 90's whatever. Know this team and live this season! Veterans gonna wreck shop. i think its a good mix.

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

He told it like I would have. He is better at using all those metaphors. Good read.

9. darmor90

darmor90 Member

I hope people realize that actual playoff success increases the value of all players who played in said playoffs. We have a good enough team and always seem to keep gradually getting better, whether in cap space or talent intake. I'm so glad we are not tanking.