1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blender Magazine: Top 50 Worst Songs of All Time

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by codell, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

sub,

I value your musical tastes as much as anyone here. You were the first to tell me about Tricky, Massive Attack, Portishead, etc, but everything that Pole says here is true and I think you know that.

That reminds me - I had "D'yer Maker" on as I pulled into work this morning.

And believe me there are far worse songs on the Zep catalog than "D'yer Maker" mainly some on the first album and of course, "Hot Dog" (what the hell was Plant and Page thinking on that one?).

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like(at least a little bit)
    3. Everybody Have Fun Tonight.
    31. Mmmmm Mmmmm Mmmmm

Other songs that I don't think are the worst ever, but I don't like all that much are

48. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
    35. Shiny Happy People
    13. Illeagal Alien
    26. The End

I'm on the fence about 'Sounds of Silence'. It is pretty corny, but I don't know if it goes on the list or not.

Other people have already mentioned the two songs that definitely should have been on the list.

'Seasons in the Sun' and 'You Light Up My Life'

Then there is there are two songs which could have been on the list but are so bad they are funny so they may have been spared...

'Wildfire'(that horse song) and 'Leader of the Band'

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

How can David Cassidy not be on this list? The thought of any of his music makes me ill.

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I can't believe so many people like "We Didn't Start The Fire" by Billy Joel. From the moment I heard that song I thought it was a rip-off of REM's "End of the World" song (that didn't really get airplay at the time). WDSTF also just sucks on it's own merit.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey man, we need to get serious here...

JFK Blown away... What else do I have to say.:D

6. Isabel

Isabel Member

That line was pretty cheesy. But I loved it at the time. (I was only 14; hopefully that's a good enough excuse.) I still like the song overall and the concept of it...

And what about

44. I'll Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That), Meat Loaf, 1993

...one of my favorites of all time, and one of my few "personal theme songs". Does everybody really hate it that much? :( (I guess, believe it or not, it has been a while since 1993.)

7. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Here's my list. I can't believe at least one Missy Eliott song didn't make the top 10.

8. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

48. "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" by The Beatles

UHHH!!! WTF..

This song awesome.. i think ill go listen to it all day

just in protest of this ****ty list by blender

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

You're right...even the Beatles worst song (not saying this is their worst) is better than some of the trash today. If it were up to me, all of Britney's songs would be on there.

33. Barbie Girl, Aqua, 1997

Funny...I immediately thought about this song when I opened the thread.

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

People who hate that song obviously have no clue about the greatness that IS Jim Steinman.

Steinman doesn't write bad songs, hell he even made Air Supply sound passable with "Making Love Out of Nothing at All.":eek: :eek:

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I was a sophomore in high school at the time it was released. I liked it. I owned Storm Front. Some years later i popped in Storm Front...and though I know the words by heart...realized, "man...this song is really bad."

I think he just tried so hard to fit so many historical references in there that he gave the music barely a second thought.

Having said that...I would be ecstatic to be able to write a song so "bad!" :)

12. rockit

rockit Contributing Member

No Mmm-bop by Hanson?
    I Touch Myself (Divinyls)
    Are You Jimmy Ray (Jimmy Ray)
    Iko Iko (Belle Stars) (Kokomo ROCKS!!!)
    Bad Touch (Bloodhound Gang)
    Rock Me Amadeus (Falco)

What was that one song with the retro video ... it had Q-Tip in it. The lady has on the bright clothes with the 60s hairdo ... oooh yeah, Groove Is In The Heart by Deee-Lite! I HATE THAT SONG!!!!

There are so many more that can go on the list above the songs listed. Like most, I actually like a lot of the songs on the list :-D

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hello darkness, my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again,
    Because a vision softly creeping,
    Left its seeds while I was sleeping,
    And the vision that was planted in my brain
    Still remains
    Within the sound of silence.

In restless dreams I walked alone
    Narrow streets of cobblestone,
    'Neath the halo of a street lamp,
    I turned my collar to the cold and damp
    When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
    That split the night
    And touched the sound of silence.

And in the naked light I saw
    Ten thousand people, maybe more.
    People talking without speaking,
    People hearing without listening,
    People writing songs that voices never share
    And no one dare
    Disturb the sound of silence.

"Fools" said I, "You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows.
    Hear my words that I might teach you,
    Take my arms that I might reach you."
    But my words like silent raindrops fell,
    And echoed
    In the wells of silence

And the people bowed and prayed
    To the neon god they made.
    And the sign flashed out its warning,
    In the words that it was forming.
    And the sign said, "The words of the prophets
    are written on the subway walls
    And tenement halls."
    And whisper'd in the sounds of silence.

Paul Simon, 1964.

Such a great song, especially when you consider when it was written... 1964. The lyrics really fit the time frame of '67's The Graduate, and that makes it even more remarkable to me. I've sometimes wondered just what Simon was stoned on as he penned it. I have great memories of '67 and that flick (and so much more!), but I was in what we call middle school today in 1964. Imagine what Simon and his buddy where doing back then? Wow.

Context is everything, my friends.

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I like these, although I agree with #1...I hate that freakin' song...

15. Isabel

Isabel Member

Thank you Deckard. I always thought it was a very profound song, especially compared to the usual stuff written/played in the mid-60's. I don't know what it's doing on that list... maybe someone just wanted to start some controversy and ruffle a few feathers.

16. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I like the above songs, however the rest deserved to be on that list. I could add several more too.

17. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really don't disagree with anything you say explicitly (except that my opinion sucks), but I will answer a few of your less obvious suggestions.

One, you imply that I don't like D'yer Maker because of its lyrics. Nothing could be further from the truth. I don't know the lyrics to D'yer Maker very well (I do know he says "When I read the letter it made me sad sad sad" at one point) and frankly don't really care what they say. I dislike this song because it is an especially egregious example of musical imperialism, especially at a point in Led Zepellin's career when they seemed to have finally abandoned the outright musical theivery that marked their first two recordings. It sounds exactly like what it is - British men playing Carribbean music as a joke (in same article that I mentioned earlier, JPJ says "It just makes me cringe a bit. It started off as a kind of joke, really. We were sitting around a playing some stuff. It got into a reggae rhythm and we put it down. I wasn't happy with the way it turned out; it wasn't thought through carefully enough"). Maybe they were just having fun, but the result was a song that (intentionally or not) clumsily parodied reggae rather than respected it. The fact that you miss this speaks volumes.

Second, despite what you say, you do value commecial success because you wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise. Funny enough, musical sales (or lack thereof) seem to determine whether a song is actually included, rather than excluded. Most of the songs on Blender's list were hits, and most of the "should have been on the list" suggestions on this thread were hits. So clearly, whether or not alot of people liked a song does not exclude it from a "Worst Songs" list because otherwise this list would be filled with the songs of my previous bands. :D

You also suggest that D'yer Maker should be valued because it was many people's first exposure to reggae. It is almost universally agreed that the soundtrack to The Harder They Come (release in 1972) was the key album that exposed Americans to reggae. Furthermore, Bob Marley released his Catch a Fire less than three weeks after Houses of the Holy with the full weight and support of Chris Blackwell/Island Records behind it. It ended up being an international hit. I doubt that D'yer Maker had much to do with the success of either of these two records.

Despite what you suggest, I don't lie awake at night obsessing over D'yer Maker song and the people who like it. If you decide it's the only song you want to listen to for the rest of your life, far be it from me to stop you. But this list is all about opinions, and despite my careless choice of words, I don't think anyone but you interpreted my words as anything else. So take it easy on the insults, because you really don't want to go there.

And BTW, it should be "your opinion," not "you're opinion." ;)

18. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

You did invite us to "flame away"--hence the "sucks" comment. Sorry to offend with my careless choice of words.

19. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I listen to 6 of the songs on that list on a regular basis (I usually just leave on CD of mp3's in my car and 5 of them are on it).

1. We Built This City, Starship, 1985
    9. American Life, Madonna, 2003 <- I have this CD
    16. What's Up?, 4 Non Blondes, 1993
    24. Five For Fighting , Superman, 2000
    31. Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm, Crash Test Dummies, 1994
    35. Shiny Happy People, R.E.M., 1991

Many of the other songs on the list I at least thought were fine when they came out, but I got tired of them like Follow Me, We Didn't Start the Fire, and Your Body is a Wonderland.

I am of the opinion that music is not inherently good or bad though, so if the people at Blender think these are the fifty worst songs of all time, that is fine with me. I have a feeling they are being disingenuous though, for reasons stated earlier.

20. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Artist: The Wondergirls Lyrics
    Song: Let's Go All the Way Lyrics

Sitting with the thinker, trying to work it out
    It's a traffic jam of the brain, makes you wanna scream and shout
    Presidential party, no one wants to dance
    Looking for a new star to put you in a trance

Let's go all the way
    Let's go all the way
    Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah, let's go all the way

Working in a factory eight days a week
    Try to make dollar, damn what a beat
    Cartoon capers happen in reality
    Rich man, poor man, living in fantasy

Let's go all the way
    Let's go all the way
    Oh oh oh, let's go all the way
    Wow, thinker

Yeah yeah yeah

Living in New York, looks like an apple core (apple core)
    Asphalt jungle, got to be a man of war
    California dreamers sinking in the sand (the sand, the sand, the sand)
    The Hollywood squares are living in Disneyland
    Wee! Ho

Let's go all the way (let's go all the way)
    Let's go all the way (let's go)
    Ah, we can make a better way
    Let's go all the way
    Go all the way
    Let's go all the way
    Yeah

Na na na-na na na na na na na na-na
    Na na na-na na yeah

ahhhhhhhhhh ---- weeeee!!