1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blender Magazine: Top 50 Worst Songs of All Time

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by codell, Apr 20, 2004.

1. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Call me a loser. I still like a lot of those songs today. The one I STILL CANNOT STAND is Achy Breaky Heart. GRRRR :mad:

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Where the hell is that "Da da da" song on this list?

Or how about "How bizzare"?

Or are those the same songs? Cause if they are, then they suck twice as much as I had previously thought.

3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

link please.

4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Puff daddys song is a god damned awesome song... where the hell is that milkshake song on this list..:mad:

5. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Where is
    <i>Afternoon Delights</i>?

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I can't believe that nobody else here immediately noticed the lack of a song by Yoko Ono on the list. :eek:

7. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

I like quite a few songs on that list. The Sounds of Silence? The End? C'mon guys.

I agree, any list without a single Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, et. al. song is a joke. Just about thier whole bodies of work are worse than just about any song on this list.

8. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Two more songs:

"Billy don't be a hero"

and

"Seasons in the Sun"

"Under Preasure" by Queen I saw was suggested that it should be on here, no way, that is one of my favorites songs by them.

9. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No link, but he did say in the January 1991 issue of Guitar World that he didn't like it. Perhaps I embellished a little, but fact remains that the song sucks.

10. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's because even a magazine like Blender would never call her "artistic output" songs.

11. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I agree with peleincubus, the reason obvious choices like Britney, Jessica Simpson, No Doubt, N'SYNC and others didn't make the list is because Blender might want to put them on the cover next month and didn't want to offend them. I think, Gwen Stefani has already been on the cover, and possibly Britney as well...you can't bash them and use their T&A value to sell magazines.

12. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

I highlighted what I believe to be the determining factor which elimminated her tortured alley cat impersonations.

13. zenmar

zenmar Member

My heart will go on should top the list ever since that movie got popular they overkilled the song.

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I'm a Blender subscriber (free) and they do put T and A singers on their covers to sell them, including Britney and Xtina. The cover "stories" are essentially personality profiles and studies in celebrity that don't deal with their music.

On the other hand, they have extensive review sections, interesting Maxim-style articles on everything related to pop and rock and a lot of humor.

They had a GREAT article a couple of years ago about Michael Jackson getting into INCREDIBLE debt. This was well before the molestation charges, back when he was calling Tommy Mottola of Sony Records a racist. The same Tommy Mottola who married Mariah Carey, who is, of course, half black.

It's actually an excellent magazine, and this list is of course nothing more than a conversation piece. But Starship does suck completely.

15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

How is The Sound Of Silence on this list? The only other song that I truely like on the list is Breakfast at Tiffany's by Deep Blue Something. Sad though I am to admit it, Barbie Girl greatly entertained me when it came out. Not because it was a good song, but because it was something different.

16. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

24. Five For Fighting , Superman, 2000
    28. Your Body Is A Wonderland, John Mayer, 2001
    41. We Didn't Start The Fire, Billy Joel, 1989

These are ones that immediately jumped out to me as ridiculous selections. There are plenty more on that list that shouldn't be there.

What about some of f***ing Shaq's music?

17. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

You think you might have embellished a bit, huh? It's hard to imagine someone being so vehemently against a song as innocuous as D'yer Maker. Admittedly, the lyrics are so simple, by just reading them, one could mistake the song for some of the top-40 drivel you hear from one of today’s boy bands. The music on the other hand, was quite fresh for 1973, and although the song was certainly not a reggae song, the Caribbean inspired riffs probably encouraged millions of people to seek out some reggae when they had never had an opportunity—or the inclination to hear any before. Anyone who did seek out the musical influences for the riffs in this song would no doubt be surprised at how much social commentary was in most reggae after listening to such a fluff song like D’yer Maker.

Still, some of the most enjoyably listenable songs have no lyrics or lyrics that don’t really convey an important message. Does this make a song suck? Well…..that’s subjective. On the other hand, D’yer Maker was a commercial success for Led Zeppelin, and worldwide, it was more popular than even the most popular reggae song ever. Does that necessarily make it a good song? Yes and no. Yes in the sense that it was a commercial success, but “no” because there’s often really great music that many people never hear. “No” also because once again, taste in music is very much subjective. There might be some college professors who will state otherwise, but the fact remains: people like what they like—and people liked D’yer Maker enough that it became a hit single. Of course, that really says nothing about the song’s relative worth—other than commercial worth. Why? Because taste in music is subjective. So when you say that it’s a “fact” that this song sucks, I immediately see that only one thing sucks here: you’re opinion.

And that’s a fact.

18. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

Where is that song that Paula Abdul sang with that cartoon cat? That song blew.

Sadly, I like most of the songs on there. I may recognize them for what they are, pop trash, but just as I loved the movie Armageddon a lot of these songs are good tunes. A lot of people, mostly the more artsy types, look for higher meaning in songs. I, too, like and appreciate this but sometimes I just wanna listen to trash.

That being said Simply Irresistible should have been on there a hundred times. Back in the day I was at my brothers post game pizza party at Pizza Hut and I put a five spot in the record playing jukebox and played Simply Irresistible about 50 times. Nobody really noticed it until the third or fourth time through and then between songs the restaurant would get real quiet as people waited to see if it would hit again and sure enough, "Du nu duh nu duh u" The manager shut it off at about 15.

19. Isabel

Isabel Member

<b>1. We Built This City, Starship, 1985
    2. Achy Breaky Heart, Billy Ray Cyrus, 1992
    3. Everybody Have Fun Tonight, Wang Chung, 1986
    4. Rollin', Limpbizkit, 2000
    5. Ice Ice Baby, Vanilla Ice, 1990
    6. The Heart Of Rock & Roll, Huey Lewis and The News, 1984
    7. Don't Worry, Be Happy, Bobby McFerrin, 1988
    8. Party All The Time, Eddie Murphy, 1985
    9. American Life, Madonna, 2003
    10. Ebony And Ivory, Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder, 1982
    11. Invisible, Clay Aiken, 2003
    12. Kokomo, The Beach Boys, 1988
    13. Illegal Alien, Genesis, 1983
    14. From A Distance, Bette Midler, 1990
    15. I'll Be There For You, The Rembrandts, 1995
    16. What's Up?, 4 Non Blondes, 1993
    17. Pumps And A Bump, Hammer, 1994
    18. You're The Inspiration, Chicago, 1984
    19. Broken Wings, Mr. Mister, 1985
    20. Dancing On The Ceiling, Lionel Richie, 1986
    21. Two Princes, Spin Doctors, 1992
    22. Courtesy Of The Red, White And Blue (The Angry American), Toby Keith, 2002
    23. Sunglasses At Night, Corey Hart, 1984
    24. Five For Fighting , Superman, 2000
    25. I'll Be Missing You, Puff Daddy featuring Faith Evans and 112, 1997
    26. The End, The Doors, 1967
    27. The Final Countdown, Europe, 1987
    28. Your Body Is A Wonderland, John Mayer, 2001
    29. Breakfast At Tiffany's, Deep Blue Something, 1995
    30. Greatest Love Of All, Whitney Houston, 1986
    31. Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm, Crash Test Dummies, 1994
    32. Will 2K, Will Smith, 1999
    33. Barbie Girl, Aqua, 1997
    34. Longer, Dan Fogelberg, 1979
    35. Shiny Happy People, R.E.M., 1991
    36. Make Em Say Uhh!, Master P featuring Silkk, Fiend, Mia-X and Mystikal, 1998
    37. Rico Suave, Gerardo, 1991
    38. Cotton Eye Joe, Rednex, 1995
    39. She Bangs, Ricky Martin, 2000
    40. I Wanna Sex You Up, Color Me Badd, 1991
    41. We Didn't Start The Fire, Billy Joel, 1989
    42. The Sounds Of Silence, Simon & Garfunkel, 1965
    43. Follow Me, Uncle Kracker, 2000
    44. I'll Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That), Meat Loaf, 1993
    45. Mesmerize, Ja Rule featuring Ashanti, 2002
    46. Hangin' Tough, New Kids On The Block, 1989
    47. The Only Thing That Looks Good On Me Is You, Bryan Adams, 1996
    48. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, The Beatles, 1968
    49. I'm Too Sexy, Right Said Fred, 1992
    50. My Heart Will Go On, Celine Dion, 1998</b>

I’m glad someone said it: 3,6,8,9,10,20,29,35,40,47

They were all right at the time but seem silly now: 1,2,5,7,18,19,37,46

Just overplayed: 15,21,22,25,30,50

You mean people hate these songs? I love these songs: 12,14,16,38,41,42,44,49 (especially 42,44)

20. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

That reminds me of the time when Macy's used to be in Baybrook Mall, I was there with my aunt shopping in the kitchenware section and I was meandering around the kitchen timers and decided to set them all (about fifty of them) to five minutes. We left shortly thereafter and I never got to see the result of my sheer genius. Ahhh...the joys of unwrapped kitchen timers!